The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2019, 09:36 AM

Hi! My friends say I should buy a tuner for my guitar called a Snark. Do I have to take off the other five tuners if I get it, and how does it tighten up the strings? And if I use it, will my guitar start making sarcastic noises? I'm already having enough with this with my wife, and she makes me play in the basement, behind the hot water heater. If I leave the guitar there during the winter to keep the cat from clawing it, will I need to get a humidifier for the guitar during the winter months? I live in Arizona. And ... (last questions, I swear), the strings on my guitar, that I bought fifteen years ago from a yard sale, are starting to look crusty, and there's something like plastic wrap hanging off them in shreds. If playing turns my fingertips brown, do I have to apologize? Unless I'm playing at a party, I swear I wash it off, immediately afterwards. And finally, is this guitar only meant to play Grunge music? Or is is okay to sometimes get down and be funky?

... JT

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-22-2019 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 09-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I can't get a decent tone out of my Yamaha LS6, or my Yamaha YZF-R1M. I've had it with Yamaha... which Suzuki acoustic and road bike do you recommend?
Old 09-21-2019, 10:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

If a woodchuck could chuck wood, then why can't I play like Eddie Van Halen?
Old 09-21-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoss02 View Post
I recently ordered a Taylor 314ce. it was advertised as ALL solid wood.... but when I received it there was a huge hole in the middle of it, and the whole inside is hollow !!!!!!!!!!

I will return it and will never buy a Taylor again!!!!!!!
Sooo funny....., thanks

The intent of this thread to have fun.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTFoote View Post
Hi! My friends say I should buy a tuner for my guitar called a Snark. Do I have to take off the other five tuners if I get it, and how does it tighten up the strings? And if I use it, will my guitar start making sarcastic noises? I'm already having enough with this with my wife, and she makes me play in the basement, behind the hot water heater. If I leave the guitar there during the winter to keep the cat from clawing it, will I need to get a humidifier for the guitar during the winter months? I live in Arizona. And ... (last questions, I swear), the strings on my guitar, that I bought fifteen years ago from a yard sale, are starting to look crusty, and there's something like plastic wrap hanging off them in shreds. If playing turns my fingertips brown, do I have to apologize for being politically-incorrect? Unless I'm playing at a party, I swear I wash it off, immediately afterwards. And finally, is this guitar only meant to play Grunge music? Or is is okay to sometimes get down and be funky?
JT
You're obviously an uninformed consumer...hot water doesn't need heated...
Old 09-21-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
This thread is becoming a book.

It was the best of threads. It was the worst of threads, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity.
Now is the winter of our disco threads.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:06 PM

I am cleaning my fret board what would be best Lucas 90w gear oil, Mobil one synthetic or 30w Shell Rotella? My luthier said they are all good if you apply at least two coats with a paint brush but the 90w should be applied and allowed to soak in overnight, what are your thought thanks in advance.

Last edited by Bigredhog; 09-21-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:25 PM

I read that a master luthier said a guitar at its essence is just an air pump.
Which is the best location to fit a Schrader valve on my Collings? Lower side of the heel, or use a modified endpin?
My VW needs 35 psi in each tyre.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Yellow View Post
I read that a master luthier said a guitar at its essence is just an air pump.
Which is the best location to fit a Schrader valve on my Collings? Lower side of the heel, or use a modified endpin?
My VW needs 35 psi in each tyre.
No, you want only presta valves on a Collings. They keep the pressure better.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigredhog View Post
I am cleaning my fret board what would be best Lucas 90w gear oil, Mobil one synthetic or 30w Shell Rotella? My luthier said they are all good if you apply at least two coats with a paint brush but the 90w should be applied and allowed to soak in overnight, what are your thought thanks in advance.
Y’know, once you start using synthetic on your fretboard, you’ll need to keep using it, otherwise your truss rod might seize up.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:10 PM

I'm looking for a custom builder who can make me Brazilian Rosewood d-28 clone. My budget is between 250.00-500.00 USD. Please give me some names.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I'm looking for a custom builder who can make me Brazilian Rosewood d-28 clone. My budget is between 250.00-500.00 USD. Please give me some names.
You might want to try asking Zager.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-21-2019, 06:47 PM

I was thinking Esteban might know.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I know that this thread is about fun, but this raises an important issue. I'm always concerned when someone starts by saying "this may be a stupid question but..."

I tend to respond to these if I can because I seriously do believe that this is an important aspect of this forum, to help and assist each other, especially those who are new to the guitar, and playing.
Same here, Silly. I've been doing this for 60 years and it's hard to understand some times that others don't know what I know. Most times, I just keep my mouth shut. And add that to all the advertising hype that people fall for as truth just makes it worse. I guess some folks are just more 'anal' about this stuff than others. What gets me are those who 'just can't play' because their neck profile or string spacing isn't right. Whatever happened to the days when there were no choices in these matters and we played what we had?
Old 09-21-2019, 11:07 PM

Which guitar can you throw farther -- Martin or Taylor?
...and a related question, should I have used "further" rather than "farther?"
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion