The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-09-2019, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Thanks for getting back to us Ben, and especially with a few months of playing to base your comments on. There is a lot to consider in what you have said!

I found Bernard Revel on You Tube when I did a search for 7 string guitars – his Lowden really seems to suit his playing (or vice versa!)

A friend recently showed me the f# retune for lute pieces when we were discussing Julian Bream playing John Dowland. My friend had found some Dowland sheet music, at Mel Bay I think, and I must say I was really impressed by the way it sounded on his guitar.

Anyway, I am very glad to hear that you like your 7 string guitar. And if you are able to spend a bit of time here on the AGF, Dan’s thread on his new baritone might give you some enjoyment too - https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=525777

Col
I want to record some things but I procrastinate 😊
I think I will record 2 versions of the same piece, one in standard + a low string and expand the bass part, and another with baritone tuning and increase resonance and voicing in the upper part. I think it would be the best way to show how these two settings impact the overall instrument.

But first I need to work out an arrangement 😆
Old 03-22-2019, 03:43 PM

Hi !

Finally, I had the opportunity to record something with this guitar.

This is an acoustic version of our song "One of a Kind" by Whocat. You can hear our new album "Joyful Rebellion" on spotify and other streaming platforms.

This has been recorded live, at l'Ancienne Belgique (Brussels, Belgium)

A bit a strumming with consequential slightly acrobatic string mutings, but hey, it is a dreadnought !

Enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aa0RNDsA9k

www.whocatmusic.com
Old 03-24-2019, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Ben...nice song! Good luck with the album.

And a bit of a surprise to see the guitar being strummed and in a band context as I had always though of it in a solo fingerstyle environment. String muting in chords must take on a whole new meaning.

Col
Old 09-05-2019, 04:03 PM

Hello,

Finally, I took the time to go in a studio for a quick session with my project called SevenZ. It is a 7-string guitar duo, with additional percussions. You will hear how this guitar really sounds like :

www.soundcloud.com/duosevenz

Please, tell me what you think !

Ben
Old 09-05-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

The guitar sounds fantastic, Ben.

I really enjoyed listening to the soundclips--good stuff!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

Last edited by Nemoman; 09-05-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 09-06-2019, 01:47 AM
Charter Member

Hey, Ben, thanks for this detailed report and great recordings on your lovely Féjoz. Your guitar and Pierre's nylon complement each other so nicely, it's like a long flowing stream where two sources meet and intermingle. And your percussionist, wow! Bravo!

I have yet to see a Féjoz in real life, but I can confirm that Thomas is among the most highly-regarded luthiers in France. He has amazing woodworking skills and seems eager to take on virtually any challenge. It's great that your guitar has taken you to so many new places, too.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 09-06-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
The guitar sounds fantastic, Ben.

I really enjoyed listening to the soundclips--good stuff!
Thanks man. And thanks to Thomas !
Old 09-06-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Hey, Ben, thanks for this detailed report and great recordings on your lovely Féjoz. Your guitar and Pierre's nylon complement each other so nicely, it's like a long flowing stream where two sources meet and intermingle. And your percussionist, wow! Bravo!

I have yet to see a Féjoz in real life, but I can confirm that Thomas is among the most highly-regarded luthiers in France. He has amazing woodworking skills and seems eager to take on virtually any challenge. It's great that your guitar has taken you to so many new places, too.
He will be at Guitares au Beffroi 2020, in Paris. I will most likely be there too and demo the 7-string as well as other. You really have to try his guitars. They are something special for sure.

Thank you for the nice words ! That music is called choro or chorinho, it comes from Brazil and it's awesome, great sort of mix of popular, jazz and classical stuff. It has everything in it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop