The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-04-2019, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystfingerstyle View Post
Really nice version Glenn! Love the sound of that guitar!
Hi Mystfingerstyle!

Thanks so much for watching and commenting! And I'm glad you like the sound of that D-45! I do, too!

This D-45 is a 2018 "reimagined" version, built like a D-45V with forward shifted, scalloped bracing. There is a tendency, at least in my past thinking, to think of the D-45 is nothing more than a dressed up D-28, but this guitar sounds better than any D-28 I have ever played! I do feel very fortunate to have this!

- Glenn
Old 08-05-2019, 01:42 AM

Great job Glenn, both your guitar and vocal tones are really nice on this one, and it's very big sounding for a fingerpicked arrangement. Looks like you had fun doing this one! Keep on knocking'em out!
Old 08-05-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Great job Glenn, both your guitar and vocal tones are really nice on this one, and it's very big sounding for a fingerpicked arrangement. Looks like you had fun doing this one! Keep on knocking'em out!
Thank you Rockabilly69!

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed this! It does have a fairly big sound considering that the guitar is played with the capo way up on the 7th fret. The D-45, with its forward shifted, scalloped bracing, has a fair amount of bass in its tonal response. I think that's why this guitar seemed to work best for me on this piece.

I did have fun doing this. It's such a happy song!

Thanks very much for taking the time to comment!

- Glenn
Old 08-05-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

Thanks for watching!

- Glenn
Really superb Glenn
Much harder than it looks to pick and sing like that!
well done indeed

Steve

Website
|
Downloads | Youtube | Soundcloud
Guitars : Yairi CY118 │ Maton M225 │ Taylor GC11
Recording│Sony SX712Sound Forge | Sony Vegas
Old 08-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejazzx View Post
Really superb Glenn
Much harder than it looks to pick and sing like that!
well done indeed

Steve
Hi Steve!

Thanks so much for your comments and for taking the time to watch! It's great to hear from you!

And you are right -- playing and singing this song and being accurate is much harder than it looks. It looks easy once a person gets both the singing and playing down, but it took me a few days of practice to get this close to where I would dare record this. In fact, this is one of those songs that appears to be deceptively easy, but in actuality, it's harder than it looks.

Years ago, when I was about 18 when I was just home from my first year at college, my dad asked me to play a few things for him. He commented then that I seemed to play much better when I was singing. More than fifty years later my wife has told me the same thing. It's finally dawning on me that maybe they are/were right.

At least I found that to be true with "Here Comes the Sun." When I started out in learning this song, I was playing it as an instrumental piece, getting used to all the shapes and finger picking and those cool licks that George Harrison came up with. But when I started singing with this piece, I had to change the rhythm particularly of the licks, because they really did not accurately fit into the rhythm of the sung version of the song or with the 4/4 time signature.

Also, I had to do a better job of developing the rhythm of the playing behind the singing to support the singing better.

So, singing the song tended to make me a better player, at least on this song, where the singing forced me to make sure I was playing the song structurally correct, if that makes any sense.

I'm so glad you commented on this piece, Steve. I admire you abilities on the guitar immensely and always enjoy your videos!

- Glenn
Old 08-05-2019, 01:11 PM

Default Well done!

I LOVE the sunset behind you. Nice touch!! and SUCH Beautiful guitar playing. I love the emotion in this performance!

-Ashley
Old 08-05-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySofia View Post
I LOVE the sunset behind you. Nice touch!! and SUCH Beautiful guitar playing. I love the emotion in this performance!

-Ashley
Thanks so much Ashley!

Thanks so much for listening and for taking the time to comment! I'm really pleased that you like how this came out!

I do owe the most brilliant of the sunrise photos to First Officer Kane Hooworth who is from Australia. This was taken during a very early morning flight where he was able to catch the sunrise right out the cockpit windows of the jet airplane. Pretty amazing photo! Also a couple of the sunrise photos were taken by my wife from around our home in the Pacific Northwest not too far from the coast of Washington State.

And yes, it's true, I do have a fair amount of emotion in the performance. The song can't but help a person feel good! And I guess the combination of playing and singing together tends to bring that out in me.

I see you have only a few posts on the AGF and your sign-up time is Aug, 2019, so you must be new to the AGF! Let me say, WELCOME! I am so glad you are here. I hope you enjoy the AGF!

Regards,
Glenn
Old 08-08-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Wow Glenn, now a green screen! Your video production skills are starting to rival your audio side. sort of
Loved your version of this and the sound of that Martin is spot on.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john57classic View Post
Wow Glenn, now a green screen! Your video production skills are starting to rival your audio side. sort of
Loved your version of this and the sound of that Martin is spot on.
Hi John!

Thank you! I really appreciate your watching! And I always appreciate your comments!

Yeah, the green screen is set up behind me, so why not use it? Now that I finally got the wrinkles out of it so that it actually works right!

I hope the background adds some interest!

I do agree, that Martin D-45 dreadnought does a very nice job on this song!

I hope you are well -- I'm doing great!

- Glenn
Old 08-16-2019, 05:22 AM

Finally back in my home office and able to listen on a decent system.
very well done indeed!
I enjoy reading the comments from other people as well. Gives me a different slant on your project.
Keep up the great work/fun Glenn(always fun)
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 08-16-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
Finally back in my home office and able to listen on a decent system.
very well done indeed!
I enjoy reading the comments from other people as well. Gives me a different slant on your project.
Keep up the great work/fun Glenn(always fun)
Thank you Vance! I very much appreciate your watching and taking the time to make comments here! I'm so glad you feel this came out well!

I enjoy reading people's comments, too. Folks are often so very supportive here!

I hope all is well for you Vance; glad you are back home!

- Glenn
Old 08-17-2019, 10:01 PM

Wow!! Awesome loved that!Great job!
Old 08-17-2019, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoss02 View Post
Wow!! Awesome loved that!Great job!
Thanks so much bmoss02!

How nice of you to take the time to watch and then comment here! That is very much appreciated! I'm so glad you like this!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell