The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-10-2017, 09:53 AM

Default Bridge plate crack

https://ibb.co/gQMq0a

Hello. This is S.Yairi YE-50. Currently can't tune it because of the crack on the bridge plate, so I want to repair this. I looked it up by myself and I understand that I better replace it, but I'd like to go with rosewood dust and glue for this. Can anyone direct me which glue I should use? And can I polish the place with sandpaper to erase the scratches? or should I get some wood stain? Thanks for reading.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Default bridge plate?

Ambiguous moment here. OP, are you discussing the bridge plate reinforcement on the inside of the guitar top or the bridge itself where the strings attach?
Old 03-10-2017, 11:23 AM

The image clearly shows a problem with the bridge itself. Assuming that is the case you don't want to just fill that with saw dust and glue. It simply will NOT work. You might be able to get away with gluing and clamping it however. You may want to try that first and if that fails replace the bridge.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:36 AM

Could be caused by a decrepit bridge plate. The op could go to frets.com and find out how to address this. I'm considering the option of gluing underneath an additional bridgeplate of maple for one of my guitars, before the bridge cracks.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:25 PM

Use cyanoacrylic glue, medium thin. No dust. Tape the top for protection if the glue runs.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:10 PM

Rosewood loves superglue and bonds pretty well, but, personally I would replace it with e new one.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-11-2017, 04:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

I would try superglue first and if that fails, replace the bridge. The crack is in a bad place, so superglue may not hold, but it is really suck it and see.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:47 PM

Others have pointed this out. Your terms are wrong. You are talking of the "bridge". The bridge "plate" is under the top wood.

Others have also pointed this out: It is a structurally weak point to repair, so any glue repair could give only limited time before it may split again.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-11-2017, 09:55 PM

This is a difficult repair because the saddle has side force on it. If the saddle is loose at all, it will lean, and increase the chance of failure.
Saddles that lean or are too tall are a major cause of this.
The saddle slot should be deep enough that at least half the saddle is inside the bridge.
The pickup (under saddle transducer, or UST) may be a contributing factor. It will reduce the amount of saddle in the bridge, and pickups require the saddle to be slightly looser to work well.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:39 AM

I think Redir has it right. You should at least try the fix before you remove and replace. I sincerely doubt that there is anything wrong with the interior plate, as that split is very common for the reasons John Arnold describes. But w/ superglue and clamp (if you can get one set up to apply front to back pressure) there is quite a good chance of achieving a solid and invisible bond. No sawdust: that will interfere with getting max closure. Removing the original bridge and installing a new one is a much more intrusive action. Sure, these splits can just reoccur, but this one looks fixable and sometimes the glue will be stronger than the wood was. Good luck. Personally, I'd glue it. I never remove bridges unless I really have to.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:23 PM

Oh sorry, I had a wrong idea. Yes, it's "cracked bridge". Not bridge plate.
Thank you guys for all advice, these really help me a lot. I'm going to try cyanoacrylate, with no dust. Thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair