The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Removing excess glue inside guitar?

One of my Masterbilt guitars has excess glue spilled on the inside, on one side. What can I use to remove it?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:30 PM

Hi Todd, its always hard working blind and depending on the size of your hand you may have some trouble. If theres not much and it's not that thick sandpaper may do the job. Some times I will rap a narrow lenth over the tip of my finger and rap tape around finger to hold in place. Or you can glue sand paper to different sized sticks. If its more you may need some sort of cabinet scraper. I have made many purpose built ones out of old hand saws as the steel in them is often very good. There are plenty of clips and imfo on the net about putting an edge on them. Good luck.

Jeff.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I'd ignore it. Not affecting the tone or playability in any way, and you have a lot more chances of making things worse than you do of making them better.

Or maybe you could put a nice sticker over it? Hello Kitty, Grateful Dead, Darwin fish, whatever floats your boat -
Old 06-25-2012, 04:53 AM

I'd use a scraper if anything but like tadol says if it isn't broken don't fix it.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 06-25-2012, 07:56 AM

Here's what I'd suggest:

Get yourself a couple pieces of soft wood and glue them together creating squeeze-out. Let it dry for at least 24 hours and then try cleaning that up with the suggestions made here and anything else you might imagine.

I think you'll see that the potential for damage that can be done to the wood will outweigh any possible pleasure to your vanity.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Point well taken. I think I'll just leave it alone...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair