The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-25-2014, 08:03 AM
Guest 33123

Day 11: I spent 1.5 hours on Glory of Love last night after repertoire. Figured out the closing lick pretty quickly and I played it multiple times without error. I'm going to need to review the video tonight to remember the lick though. Unfortunately it has left my head but I can visualize what my hands should be doing. After some more effort I was able to play the whole song through. Yay! I missed 2 hammer ons between the chorus and the verse but otherwise it sounded good. I'll spend the next few days solidifying and then record and post it.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 AM

Thought I would check in to say that I have done at least some practice on Hey Jude every day, and have also been reading all the posts you guys are making. I can basically play the song, but there are two imperfect patches in it.

First, there are two quick pull-offs on "let her into your heart," which I play as a C chord, a C plus a G note on 1st string, then pinky on A, G-F# pull-off (m-i) and then G-E pull off (m-open) ending on a G chord (really a G6 I suppose, with a D and an open E). I've never really learned pull-offs, so it's good for me, but at quick pace, my pulling m finger sure wants to move my grounded i finger! Tried a slide, but it's not loud enough.

Second, I have a decent way to play the "nanas" at the end in a lower register (which is basically a type of G-F-C), but I want to also play it up higher, and I like G on 234 strings, Dm7 (at 5th), adding a G on 2nd w/ pinky, going to a C chord played on 123 at 3rd and 5th frets. Not smooth yet.

The rest sounds pretty good, but my singing is only decent, and I fear that it is a high-expectation song, being so familiar.

Anyone else remember the perils of learning pulloffs!?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:12 AM

Day 1: finally starting Shady Grove byJerry Garcia. Worked for about an hour, got the first 16 seconds figured out. A good chunk of that time was spent just getting it into my fingers. I ordered the transcription book for the album. We'll see how close I am. From the tabs I've seen online, it seems like it's just D minor and C chords. The main riff is mostly around the C chord. As I'm just learning, its pretty neat seeing how all these things fit together.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:30 AM
Guest 33123

Day 12: didn't have much time last night to work on the song, maybe 15 minutes. I solidified the closing lick and tried to stitch the whole song together but I couldn't quite do it before I ran out of time. I'll have more time tonight.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:59 AM
Guest 33123

Day 13: Able to play a LOT of guitar yesterday. After repertoire and some effort I played the whole piece through 2 times without mistakes. So by my criteria the piece is done! Yay! Now I just need to solidify more and then record it, probably Sunday night.

How are you guys doing? Care to check in?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:53 AM

Default who wants to join a friendly "learn an new song" challenge?

Hi Doug - congrats on achieving your goal- I can't wait to hear it! For me it's one step forward, a few steps back. The waltz is coming along but not ready to record, and even when I think it's good enough I may not succeed in getting a decent recording. Why? Performance anxiety kills me! Spent most of yesterday's lesson painfully going through the accompanying exercise where I totally crashed and burned (again)! Yet this morning I played it through 6 times with only one mistake - yesterday I couldn't get through the first 2bars. The same things happens when I try to record -last time I tried I basically had to leave it recording until I forgot it was there in order not to seize up. Hoping this will get better....
Old 03-27-2014, 10:00 AM

Default who wants to join a friendly "learn an new song" challenge?

Congratulations Doug! Can't wait to hear it!
Me I'm languishing in the doldrums. Had lesson yesterday - crashed and burned - started with the dreaded exercise (in retrospect a mistake ) and couldn't get through 2 bars despite having it fairly well together at home. Spent most of lesson working on it. That same exercise I played through 6 times today with one mistake... This performance anxiety is killing me! The waltz is doing ok. Got most of the fingering but need to work on timing and continuity Not ready for prime time and who knows if I'll seize up when I turn the recorder on. Sigh.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
Congratulations Doug! Can't wait to hear it!
Me I'm languishing in the doldrums. Had lesson yesterday - crashed and burned - started with the dreaded exercise (in retrospect a mistake ) and couldn't get through 2 bars despite having it fairly well together at home. Spent most of lesson working on it. That same exercise I played through 6 times today with one mistake... This performance anxiety is killing me! The waltz is doing ok. Got most of the fingering but need to work on timing and continuity Not ready for prime time and who knows if I'll seize up when I turn the recorder on. Sigh.
Thank you! Hopefully I'll have it recorded soon.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Day 13: Able to play a LOT of guitar yesterday. After repertoire and some effort I played the whole piece through 2 times without mistakes. So by my criteria the piece is done! Yay! Now I just need to solidify more and then record it, probably Sunday night.

How are you guys doing? Care to check in?
good for you, doug!

i can play my piece from memory now, but it's still not ready for primetime. it is getting better, however. there is one bar with chords that jump from the 1st position to the 3rd (with a 4 fret pinkie strech), then to the 7th fret, then back down to the 3rd position that is causing me the most difficulty. i may try and record the piece just to listen back and hear what it sounds like.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Well, I am not going to get this project done in a two-week time frame, but I am making a lot of progress. The issue is timing and mechanics rather than the actually ability to play the licks in the song.

I went over this with my teacher yesterday and he made a couple of helpful observations:

A) The opening harmonics are syncopated without a clearly defined pattern. So that is a matter of time to get that down.

B) In the middle of the tune, when the rhythm goes into double time, the fretted notes are mostly simple riffs in the pentatonic scale, but in order to play them efficiently I need to change my picking style. I have to get in between the third and fourth strings and pick up on the fourth string on the down beat and pick down on the third string on the upbeat...with a triplet feeling. If I use a thumbpick, I need to pick up on the fourth string with my finger and down on the third with my thumb.

Either pattern runs contrary to what I have become accustomed to over the years, but that is part of what this is about....learning a new song and getting out of my comfort zone while doing so.

Later,

CK
Tab link to project - http://www.petehuttlinger.com/pdf/Late_Winter_Score.pdf

Old 03-28-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Well, I am not going to get this project done in a two-week time frame, but I am making a lot of progress. The issue is timing and mechanics rather than the actually ability to play the licks in the song.

I went over this with my teacher yesterday and he made a couple of helpful observations:

A) The opening harmonics are syncopated without a clearly defined pattern. So that is a matter of time to get that down.

B) In the middle of the tune, when the rhythm goes into double time, the fretted notes are mostly simple riffs in the pentatonic scale, but in order to play them efficiently I need to change my picking style. I have to get in between the third and fourth strings and pick up on the fourth string on the down beat and pick down on the third string on the upbeat...with a triplet feeling. If I use a thumbpick, I need to pick up on the fourth string with my finger and down on the third with my thumb.

Either pattern runs contrary to what I have become accustomed to over the years, but that is part of what this is about....learning a new song and getting out of my comfort zone while doing so.

Later,

CK
hi ck,

14 days doesn't seem like a lot of time to learn a tune, depending on the tune and one's skill level, of course. i'm sure pete spent a lot more time than that to create the piece. late winter/early spring may be a late summer/early fall tune!

i had a couple of thoughts about your comments:
a) i think you will need to be so familiar with the tune that you hear the harmonics as its own melody, and then the timing and pattern will be well ingrained.

b) that's a little hard for me to fully understand, although i'm sure your teachar is correct. are you referring to sections like bar 51? if so, i don't see why you need to reverse your normal picking pattern. what reason did your teacher give?

regardless of the rate, all this practice and learning has to be beneficial for you.

i also watched this version by brad warren that seems fairly faithful on first listen that might be helpful or at least fun to watch:
Old 03-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
good for you, doug!
Thanks! But my Glory of Love isn't really ready for primetime either.

Quote:
Well, I am not going to get this project done in a two-week time frame
Don't worry about the time frame. That's not the point of the thread. The point is to share your experiences and support each other. BTW I picked a pretty easy piece. Otherwise it takes me more like 4-5 weeks to get a piece down.

Day 14: After a lot less effort than lately I was able to play the song through another couple of times, which is good since I didn't have a lot of time after repertoire. The second time was better than the first so that's good. The song is going to need some more solidifying before I can record it but I am shooting for late Sunday night.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
hi ck,

14 days doesn't seem like a lot of time to learn a tune, depending on the tune and one's skill level, of course. i'm sure pete spent a lot more time than that to create the piece. late winter/early spring may be a late summer/early fall tune!

i had a couple of thoughts about your comments:
a) i think you will need to be so familiar with the tune that you hear the harmonics as its own melody, and then the timing and pattern will be well ingrained.

b) that's a little hard for me to fully understand, although i'm sure your teachar is correct. are you referring to sections like bar 51? if so, i don't see why you need to reverse your normal picking pattern. what reason did your teacher give?

regardless of the rate, all this practice and learning has to be beneficial for you.
Hi MC,

That song was written by John Denver and Mike Taylor for the b side of the Rocky Mountain High album. According to an article I read by Pete, the rhythm track was recorded then Mike Taylor recorded the lead by himself.

The harmonics, it is like you said, getting a feel for where they actually occur in the intro. One measure it is a half beat, then another a quarter beat, then somewhere else a whole beat.

On measure 51 etc, Jeff told me that it is a rockabilly technique. I was flatpicking like a bluegrass fiddle tune, which meant that I was going down on the fourth string and over the top of the third string to come back up, or if I went down and down over the two strings, I still had to come back over the top to start again.

Since the two strings are adjacent to each other and are played alternately, the technique is to get the pick on the interior of the strings so you do not have cross over the top of the string without hitting it.

If that makes sense.

The other thing that helped is he introduced me to this program called Transcribe! by seventhstring. I downloaded that last night and started looping short parts. This is going to accelerate the learning curve.

CK

PS - thanks for the video. He is playing with fingers and thumbpick, which I have tried, but for me it is easier with a flatpick and use the middle and ring finger on occasion.

Last edited by Cypress Knee; 03-28-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Hi MC,

That song was written by John Denver and Mike Taylor for the b side of the Rocky Mountain High album. According to an article I read by Pete, the rhythm track was recorded then Mike Taylor recorded the lead by himself.

The harmonics, it is like you said, getting a feel for where they actually occur in the intro. One measure it is a half beat, then another a quarter beat, then somewhere else a whole beat.

On measure 51 etc, Jeff told me that it is a rockabilly technique. I was flatpicking like a bluegrass fiddle tune, which meant that I was going down on the fourth string and over the top of the third string to come back up, or if I went down and down over the two strings, I still had to come back over the top to start again.

Since the two strings are adjacent to each other and are played alternately, the technique is to get the pick on the interior of the strings so you do not have cross over the top of the string without hitting it.

If that makes sense.

The other thing that helped is he introduced me to this program called Transcribe! by seventhstring. I downloaded that last night and started looping short parts. This is going to accelerate the learning curve.

CK
pete's probably still working on it. thanks for straightening me out about the tune. since it was on his website and he used to play with john denver, i incorrectly assumed pete was one of the guitars (is he the rhythm guitarist, or is that john or also mike?). i think you did mention mike earlier.

yes, i guess the inner string picking makes sense. seems more efficient the way you describe it, although perhaps rhythmically more awkward. i don't use a pick much these days so i was just wondering about the reasoning.

i use transcribe all the time, it is fantastic. besides slowing parts down to play along with, or looping sections, you can also change the pitch to play with or without a capo or in another key as well as do minor pitch adjustments to the tune without retuning your guitar.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:32 AM

Day 2: 30 mins late at night, just running through the first solo part trying to get it down. Also started to throw some chord strumming in there, although I'm not sure Jerry does.

Day 3: 30 mins of playing other songs. Just sat down quick to look through the chord progressions I had in my notebook, and ended up playing for a while.

Day 4: I bought a digital piano off of Craigslist. No guitar playing yet today.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write