The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-23-2021, 04:14 PM

These are all great responses and guidance. Thank you so much!!!! I still can't decide
Old 12-24-2021, 07:29 AM

I had a GX for many years (regretfully sold) and I did get to play an OX a couple of times. While it was pretty good, IMHO the GX is a much better guitar - if someone offered me a choice of an OX or a GX, I’d take the GX no question.
Just my 2c.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-25-2021, 01:00 AM
Charter Member

Default Carbon Guitars

Cant go wrong with an original Pre Peavey Composite Acoustics Legacy Dreadnought.
Vintage Voicing, 1 3/4” Nut Width, with well Balanced Tone. only a couple of finishes were available. just High Gloss and what CA called Road Tuff.

Last edited by martinlover; 12-25-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-25-2021, 06:24 AM

I’ve had a pre-Peavey GX for several years now. It’s playability and tone are wonderful. It has a 1.75” nut, but what took me a while to get used to is the fact that the neck profile doesn’t broaden out when transitioning from the nut to the heel joint (or rather, the LACK of a heel joint) - the neck depth is consistent along its length.

That sort of bothered me at first, but I am now used to it.

I’ve played one other GX at Artisan Guitars (when they were in Franklin TN), and that model had the same neck profile.

My CA is my go-to travel guitar - whenever I hit the road, that guitar, and a ukulele, always go with me. I love the fact that I can just put it up in the rooftop clamshell carrier (the ukes always ride inside the car), winter or summer, and never worry about it.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:50 AM

I have a GX. You can hear several recordings of it on my YouTube channel (linked in my sig); any vid where you see the GX, it was used in the recording. It sounds good acoustically, and great live with the Aura pickup.

I did get to play an OX once at a shop, while I was investigating CA guitars. I wasn't as enamored with the OX; I thought it sounded a bit thin. IIRC it is not only smaller in width/length than a GX but also not as deep.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:40 PM

Thank you all so much. I’ll be on the look out for a used GX then
Old 12-26-2021, 11:39 PM

Oh, and can you help me to understand the differences in the two fishman pick up options?
Old 12-26-2021, 11:47 PM
Anticipation Junkie

If you can find a GX without a factory “barn door” pickup, you’ll be better off to be able to install your own and upgrade whenever you want without impacting the guitar.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:28 AM

I found one with Trace Acoustic AGP electronics, is that okay?
Old 12-27-2021, 10:15 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I’m not familiar with that system, but if it’s an after market one that didn’t require a large hole to be cut in the side of the guitar, then if the guitar is otherwise fine, I’d say go for it.

So, what I meant is to avoid any electronics that has a large hole cut in the side of the guitar to facilitate it. Usually, these are factory installed when the guitar was new. This is just a personal pet peeve of mine. There are so many after market electronics options that can be discreetly installed and can be easily swapped out if desired as systems improve.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber