The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-18-2021, 03:13 PM

Default Cargo revisited

I think the Cargo deserves a place in CF history just because of its pioneer status, and that before considering imperviousness and the great tone. I just wish there was something similar with a neck profile more like my OF660. It is my favorite neck of anything I’ve ever owned and that is more important to me than many players.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I think the Cargo deserves a place in CF history just because of its pioneer status,
Yeah, I agree, this was kinda like a through back of good memories for a special guitar.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Yeah, I agree, this was kinda like a through back of good memories for a special guitar.
Yessir! A lot of memories come back when I play mine.

Tony
Old 12-18-2021, 06:30 PM
Anticipation Junkie

The little guitar that could!
Old 12-18-2021, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
The little guitar that could!
The Cargo was the first CF guitar I ever played - at the Podium, back when they were selling for $800 or so. I so nearly took that one home with me, but discretionary funds were a little tight at the time, and I really couldn’t justify it.

I had another encounter with one a couple of years ago, on a ‘show off my Emerald’ meetup, and was reminded what a super little guitar it was, and still is.

I’ll credit the Cargo with showing me the possibilities of CF, and as a primary reason that I’ve ended up with 3 Emeralds (and plotting a fourth )
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-18-2021, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
The Cargo was the first CF guitar I ever played - at the Podium, back when they were selling for $800 or so. I so nearly took that one home with me, but discretionary funds were a little tight at the time, and I really couldn’t justify it.

I had another encounter with one a couple of years ago, on a ‘show off my Emerald’ meetup, and was reminded what a super little guitar it was, and still is.

I’ll credit the Cargo with showing me the possibilities of CF, and as a primary reason that I’ve ended up with 3 Emeralds (and plotting a fourth )
The Cargo you passed up at The Podium way back then...I probably bought it!

Tony
Old 12-18-2021, 07:12 PM
Anticipation Junkie

The photo below was taken March 28, 2008. My wife and I were vacationing from Canada, beach bumming it for a few weeks around Florida. We were in a rented convertible in Sarasota, I was in the car while my wife was rummaging in the trunk after which I put the top down. CRUNCH! She had placed my travel guitar, a Baby Taylor in the area of the trunk where you shouldn’t and she forgot to move it back. The back was crushed as well, was beyond repair, trashed it. She was aghast and so apologetic.

At that time, the newly released Cargo was much talked about on the MacNichol and AGF forums and I was intrigued. Within an hour of the accidental destruction of my BT, I posted a thread in the General section here to ask if anyone knew where I could find a Cargo. Member “fitness1” posted with a lead to a couple of Cargos had by Danny Brevard at his shop in Lufkin, TX. I called him and ordered a charcoal version with the road tough finish...$750. He shipped it to me in Sarasota. As I was ordering it, AGFer SongwriterFan was driving two hours to buy one from Danny...he got the wine colored one. Immediately, I was impressed and knew it was a keeper. The BT didn’t even rank compared to it. A disaster turned into an opportunity and despite the $ outlay, I was so pleased and my wife felt vindicated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA473B30-CA2B-4990-9331-6BADDEEF96FC.jpg (50.8 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Acousticado; 12-18-2021 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The photo below was taken March 28, 2008. My wife and I were a vacation from Canada, beach bumming it for a few weeks around Florida. We were in a rented convertible in Sarasota, I was in the car while my wife was rummaging in the trunk after which I put the top down. CRUNCH! She had placed my travel guitar, a Baby Taylor in the area of the trunk where you shouldn’t and she forgot to move it back. The back was crushed as well, was beyond repair, trashed it. She was aghast and so apologetic.

At that time, the newly released Cargo was much talked about on the MacNichol and AGF forums and I was intrigued. Within an hour of the accidental destruction of my BT, I posted a thread in the General section here to ask if anyone knew where I could find a Cargo. Member “fitness1” posted with a lead to a couple of Cargos had by Danny Brevard at his shop in Lufkin, TX. I called him and ordered a charcoal version with the road tough finish...$750. He shipped it to me in Sarasota. As I was ordering it, AGFer Songwriter fan was driving two hours to buy one from Danny...he got the wine colored one. Immediately, I was impressed and knew it was a keeper. The BT didn’t even rank compared to it. A disaster turned into an opportunity and despite the $ outlay, I was so pleased and my wife felt vindicated.
What a cool, cool story! I bet each of us who has (or once had) a Cargo, has a Cargo story.

Mine is nowhere near as Eloquent as Tom's, but here goes...

I walked into The Podium one Saturday morning and Marty Reynolds comes up to me with a Cargo in his hands, saying that I really, really should try this. Marty would get to know the customers well and knew what they were looking for in a guitar. I have always trusted his judgement. So I tried it - and bought it.

Over the next few weeks, as The Podium started getting in the larger CA Guitars models, I tried those, but none sat nearly as well with me as the Cargo so I never made a move to buy one. Marty didn't seem surprised by that.

I remember the next winter, somebody coming with one of the larger CA Guitars models covered with ice. Apparently he had left it outside or something. He just sat down and started playing it as if there was nothing wrong. If there was ever a demonstration of a real advantage of a carbon fiber guitar, that was it.

When somebody came in with a decent wood guitar during the winter, it sat in its case and had to warm up before opening it. With CA Guitars models, they were made to be played...now.

Of the CA Guitars product line, at least at The Podium, the Cargo was by far the favorite. It seemed most everybody seemed to want one back then.

Tony
Old 12-18-2021, 08:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Yes, there seems to be some great Cargo stories, Tony. I was so impressed with the Cargo that in the fall of ‘08 I ordered its big brother, the GXi pictured below from Michael Stone at MacNichol. I quite liked it, but sold it in ‘17 to help fund my Coco Emerald Chimaera 6/12 Doubleneck, also shown below. A couple of beauties...yet the Cargo is the one that remains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 12F52260-790B-4F9A-B2E4-160D303D4277.jpeg (94.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 6DAB1448-956F-44A0-BCA4-2F3EBCC80137.jpg (49.8 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Acousticado; 12-18-2021 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, there seems to be some great Cargo stories, Tony. I was so impressed with the Cargo that in the fall of ‘08 I ordered its big brother, the GXi pictured below from Michael Stone at MacNichol. I quite liked it, but sold it in ‘17 to help fund my Coco Emerald Chimaera 6/12 Doubleneck, also shown below. A couple of beauties...yet the Cargo is the one that remains.
Now THAT is a testament to the unique qualities of the Cargo, Tom! I remember when the Chimera was the subject of much discussion and interest. By the way, what ever happened to Doubleneck himself? He had much interesting input to the various carbon fiber conversations. Also, where did all those earlier Emerald products go? Do many folks still have them?

One thing about the way the Cargo production went is that it was essentially frozen in time, almost like some sort of fossil. Apparently, the changes that Peavey introduced did not change the basic character of the Cargo, while Emerald continued to reinvent and improve their products.

I remember having a chance to play an earlier X7 back when the MacNichol forum was still around and (as I recall, but could be wrong), CA Guitars was still cranking out Cargos. I as not very impressed. The next time I was able to try an Emerald product was David Eastwood's X20, and that was a HUGE step forward, on par with McPherson and probably anything else on the market. I was impressed. I have no doubt that the X7 and the rest of their product line is right up there too. However, to me, the Kestrel would probably hold the most appeal due to my interest in chord melody.

Tony
Old 12-19-2021, 10:35 AM
Anticipation Junkie

My understanding is that Steve’s (Doubleneck) interest drifted back to wood guitars. I think he kept his Chimaera though. He was a very early adopter of the Emerald doubleneck and I wasn’t far behind him. Actually, my first Chimaera was an all-CF version early 2012 that I later upgraded to the wood one above. I have to say that lately my interest has also drifted back to wood. In fact, I just bought a new Martin D-18 Standard which is a fabulous guitar. Likely, I’ll own other CF guitars in the future with no commitment that they will stay with me over the long term. The only one I can say that about is my Cargo, which is in regular rotation and my travel guitar.

As for the earlier versions of the X7, I seem to recall that it was generally considered inferior in tone compared to the Cargo, a brighter, thinner sound whereas the Cargo is deeper and full. I’ve never played an X7, but my understanding is that the changes Emerald made in later models has very much narrowed any gap.

Last edited by Acousticado; 12-19-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

My collection consists of both wood and carbon fiber guitars. I would love to have a carbon fiber version of my Huss & Dalton 00, with it's 12 frets, short 24.9" scale, 1 7/8" nut and 2 5/16" saddle spacing. I also have a Blueridge BR-341 with the same dimensions. The Huss & Dalton has a rosewood body with spruce top, and the Blueridge has a mahogany (could never bring myself to call it that silly name "hog") back and sides and spruce top.

To me, that is the ideal fingerstyle guitar - essentially a steel string version of a classical guitar. When you arrange tunes yourself, 12 frets is not a limitation.

Tony
Old 12-19-2021, 01:07 PM
Anticipation Junkie

The original gigbag that came with my Cargo was on the large size, so as my Baby Taylor had been destroyed and the Cargo is just a tad longer, it actually fits very nicely in the BT’s better quality gigbag which I’ve used for the Cargo ever since. This form fit helps retain its diminutive size when traveling, especially on aircraft where I’ve never had a problem bringing it onboard and placing in an overhead bin.
Old 12-19-2021, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

My first Cargo came in a nicely fitting gig bag that had no name embroider on the large pocket. The second and third both came with the same gig bag except that "CA Guitars" is embroidered on the large pocket in white.

All three gig bags fit the Cargo very nicely.

Tony
Old 12-19-2021, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

I bought a new Cargo for about $800 not long after they came out. Sounded great and played nicely. Sold it several years later and somewhat regret it. I’ve sometimes considered buying a smaller CF guitar, perhaps a Cargo. Maybe, in the new year.

Last edited by Acousticado; 12-19-2021 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Please review forum rules

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber