The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-24-2021, 05:29 PM

Default Bridge Belly Reduction ?

Has anyone had success with flattening to some extent at least, a bridge belly of approximately 2-3mm in height ? It on a Fat Lady Cole Clark, with a cracked bridge and lifting wings.

Im not in a hurry to get a result, and I am aware of the Thompson aluminium cauls device available from Stewmac , but these are pretty expensive, especially with shipping costs to Australia are added.

If flattening to some degree can be achieved , should I then add an extra brace at the rear of the bridge location ?

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE .
Old 11-25-2021, 12:35 AM

If you reshape the top without any additional bracing, the belly is likely to return.

You might want to check for a loose brace if the guitar has excessive belly.

It could be just a bridge problem too.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:48 AM

Thanks Taylor. I did find a short piece of popped brace, but not much in it.
Re the bridge problem , do you mean that the cracked bridge and lifting wings would reduce the bracing affect of the bridge ?
Old 11-25-2021, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyb View Post
I am aware of the Thompson aluminium cauls device available from Stewmac , but these are pretty expensive, especially with shipping costs to Australia are added.

If flattening to some degree can be achieved , should I then add an extra brace at the rear of the bridge location ?

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE .
I have similar problems with SM pricing and shipping to Canada. It should be a simple enough process to make those cauls out of some hardwood (thicker) which can easily withstand 150 F. or aluminum if you have access to the right bandsaw/blade
The suggested ibex clamps are available under the Shopfox brandname. I bought some on Amazon for $20 Canadian.
The extra brace you suggest would help a recurrence but might dampen your tone. Lighter strings?
https://www.amazon.com.au/Shop-Fox-D.../dp/B0000DD1TC
Old 11-25-2021, 08:31 AM

Hey Fathand, you do know the StewMax program has been made available to us canucks for close to three years, do you? That's mighty handy but I wish it had when I was really gearing up, I'd have saved a bunch…
Old 11-25-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercast View Post
Hey Fathand, you do know the StewMax program has been made available to us canucks for close to three years, do you? That's mighty handy but I wish it had when I was really gearing up, I'd have saved a bunch…
Thanks but they have very little that I can afford or that I can't make myself or buy for less elsewhere. I only buy from them when there is no other choice.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:01 PM

Thanks Fathand . Im looking into an extra tone bar brace.

You know the chicken and the egg, what came first saying ? Well, wondering if the usual explanation or suspect for a cracked and lifting bridge is a belly bump, whether the opposite can be true ?
Old 11-26-2021, 07:19 AM

Most guitars are considered acceptable with less than 6mm of belly and less than 2 degrees of bridge rotation. Are Cole Clark specs different? Fix the bridge, reglue braces if required, don’t add braces.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:54 PM

Thanks Jon, and yes, Id rather not add another tone brace behind the new bridge. I dont know about the Cole Clark specs, but do know they fix this problem by flattening the bump (I dont know how though), sanding the bottom of the bridge to give the required action, and adding another brace (I dont know where exactly, but assume its where the bump was).

I have been trialing for a few days in the current very wet weather placing a heavy glass bead bag which molds to the hump area, including over the cracked bridge, and sealing the sound hole. I removed the weight yesterday and the wings have come back in contact with the bodytop. So I think I will remove the bridge soon and thereby its bracing effect, and see what happens with another few days with weight on the bump.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair