The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-26-2021, 05:20 AM

Default Piezo Pickup Issue - Noisy / "cracky low E

Using the piezo pickup of my Emerald X20 carbon fiber guitar for either recording or amplifying, the low E (fretted or not) produces unclean, cracky sounds. Here's a sample recorded through a Scarlett Solo from Piezo pickup:

Any ideas how to fix it?

I have tried two different cables to rule cable issues. The pickup system is an LR Baggs Element Active System™.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:10 AM

I don't hear "unclean / crackly" sounds on the low E in your recording.

It does sound like you may be exceeding 0db and producing digital overs. I don't hear any glaring examples of that from your example. It generally sounds boomy and lacks any clarity and is certainly not representative of what the Emerald sounds like acoustically. That's an artifact of the pickup, though.

The easy fix in this case is to use a microphone.

I am a bit familiar with the Baggs Element active as I had one in a guitar long ago. I did not care for the sound it produced.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-26-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:36 AM

Sounds fine to me too and not too bad for a UST either.

Assuming you hear what I cannot, a new battery in the pickup and recording at a lower level might help. Possibly you are driving your DAW or Scarlett into clipping.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-27-2021, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryout View Post
Using the piezo pickup of my Emerald X20 carbon fiber guitar for either recording or amplifying, the low E (fretted or not) produces unclean, cracky sounds. Here's a sample recorded through a Scarlett Solo from Piezo pickup:

Any ideas how to fix it?

I have tried two different cables to rule cable issues. The pickup system is an LR Baggs Element Active System™.
Also, adding to what others have suggested, if your Emerald has the LR Baggs Element VTC System, and when fingerpicking, make sure its Tone Control is on its detent position (can be a bit difficult to feel it) for flat EQ or slightly skewed toward its treble end. This may help bring more clarity to your amplified/recorded tone just in case the Tone Control may have been skewed toward its bass end when making your recording.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-27-2021, 02:59 PM

Thanks for your feedback!

Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I can hear a short but noticeable noise / crack e.g. right at the end of second 4 / beginning of second 5.

There should be no clipping either as the recording is always below 0dB, I monitored the audio interface / DAW while recording the sample.

I usually don't use the pickup system but a mic for recording as suggested, however I noticed it playing through my amp where it seems more pronounced than in the recording.

I will check if Tone Control makes a difference.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryout View Post
Thanks for your feedback!

Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I can hear a short but noticeable noise / crack e.g. right at the end of second 4 / beginning of second 5.

There should be no clipping either as the recording is always below 0dB, I monitored the audio interface / DAW while recording the sample.

I usually don't use the pickup system but a mic for recording as suggested, however I noticed it playing through my amp where it seems more pronounced than in the recording.

I will check if Tone Control makes a difference.
I DO hear it if I listen very carefully. If your X20 has a Baggs Active Element pickup then it sounds like the input to the pre-amp within the guitar is being hit with a high energy piezo spike. This is simply over-driving the electronics within your guitar and will not show up on your DAW screen or peak meters.

I had the Baggs Active Element in one of my guitars and did not like it for this, and other reasons.

If this is the cause of your "spike" then your choices are to learn to play with a softer touch or go with a different transducer system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification