The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-26-2021, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Ill have a cup with breakfast (1)
Sometimes a cup during the commute (2)
Usually I have a cup when I get in the office (3)
Ill have a cup after lunch (4)
if I have a long afternoon meeting Ill have one or two (5-6)
Sometimes Ill have a cup after dinner (7)

So I guess that's 5 a day....Ill guess it varies so 4-7

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 02-27-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Ill have a cup with breakfast (1)
Sometimes a cup during the commute (2)
Usually I have a cup when I get in the office (3)
Ill have a cup after lunch (4)
if I have a long afternoon meeting Ill have one or two (5-6)
Sometimes Ill have a cup after dinner (7)

So I guess that's 5 a day....Ill guess it varies so 4-7
Hey Fazool - do the afternoon/evening coffees interrupt your sleep at all?
Old 02-27-2021, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Fazool - do the afternoon/evening coffees interrupt your sleep at all?
Honestly it's weird......90% of the time I can, literally, have a cup of coffee and go right to bed.

About 1-in-10 times though I'll have a cup of coffee and find myself staring at the ceiling unable to fall asleep

Old 02-27-2021, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

I (and my wife and kids) love coffee.

I've read a lot of studies and there are nothing but benefits with (essentially) no bad long term effects. However too much all at once isn't good.

I was having serious heart pains - I went to the doctor, I had scans of my heart, MRI's etc, etc - the full suite of testing.

Could not find anything wrong so my doctor started asking me about lifestyle questions.

After a lot of thinking and writing notes I realized I had unknowingly crept upwards to 10-12 cups a day.

My doctor (who I get along with very well) was angry with me because caffeine is a cardiac stimulant. Ooops

I cut it down and actively watch how many so I dont creep up in quantity again

Oh yea....the heart pains fully disappeared

Old 02-27-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Honestly it's weird......90% of the time I can, literally, have a cup of coffee and go right to bed.

About 1-in-10 times though I'll have a cup of coffee and find myself staring at the ceiling unable to fall asleep
And that 1-in-10 times may be unrelated to coffee.

Quote:
I (and my wife and kids) love coffee.

I've read a lot of studies and there are nothing but benefits with (essentially) no bad long term effects. However too much all at once isn't good.

I was having serious heart pains - I went to the doctor, I had scans of my heart, MRI's etc, etc - the full suite of testing.

Could not find anything wrong so my doctor started asking me about lifestyle questions.

After a lot of thinking and writing notes I realized I had unknowingly crept upwards to 10-12 cups a day.

My doctor (who I get along with very well) was angry with me because caffeine is a cardiac stimulant. Ooops

I cut it down and actively watch how many so I dont creep up in quantity again

Oh yea....the heart pains fully disappeared
A few cups of coffee a day is healthy but many more can cause issues. It does creep up on you.

The smell of fresh coffee ... mmm.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:07 AM

I do not drink coffee, I eat it. Five to six dark chocolate covered expresso beans before my morning run and I'm all set.

As a side note, it is interesting that I dislike coffee, but love these chocolate covered expresso beans - go figure. I believe my aversion to coffee stems from me asking to taste my dad's coffee as a young kid and taking a big swig of extremely hot and bitter unadulterated black coffee. Never wanted to mess with it again after that. Had I tried my mom's, with the heavy cream and sugar, I may have taken a different course.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:14 AM

One 12-oz. mug daily -- pour-over fine grind Sumatra Mandheling medium dark roast -- with breakfast. Rarely any more than that nowadays.
Before I retired last May, I'd have two mugs...one while I was booting up my computer, the second around 10 a.m.

As I've recounted before on this board, for about three years back in the early/mid 1990s, before Green Mountain Coffee Roasters came out with the Keurig, I wrote their catalogs and annual reports. Before starting, they flew me up to Vermont and put me through a full week of intense coffee basic training...they called it "coffee college" and "Java U." I came out of the experience with a lot of information, but also with an appreciation of choosing, making, and enjoying coffee differently. Result: my taste buds got re-set. I began drinking less coffee, but being super picky about what variety I was making, whether I had it black or with cream, etc.

Quite different, then, from my early years in the ad biz, when I'd down cups of any old office coffee all day (and into the night if we had a crushing deadline).

Dirk
Old 02-27-2021, 07:37 PM

I have one cup in the morning. Probably around 8 oz but that includes around 3-4 oz of 1/2 & 1/2 so I probably only drink 4-5 oz of coffee.

I used to drink a lot more but just don’t any more.

Best,
PJ
Old 02-27-2021, 11:27 PM

Too much...and I'll leave it at that
Old 02-28-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
I do not drink coffee, I eat it. Five to six dark chocolate covered expresso beans before my morning run and I'm all set.

As a side note, it is interesting that I dislike coffee, but love these chocolate covered expresso beans - go figure. I believe my aversion to coffee stems from me asking to taste my dad's coffee as a young kid and taking a big swig of extremely hot and bitter unadulterated black coffee. Never wanted to mess with it again after that. Had I tried my mom's, with the heavy cream and sugar, I may have taken a different course.
I'll have to look into that when I need to go on long drives. It would save a bathroom break or two.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:53 AM

Usually two cups a day, always made with an Aeropress. This $35 single-cup press squeezes every drop of flavor and oil from the beans. I have one at work, one at home and one to take when I travel so I always wake up to great, consistent coffee.

Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 02-28-2021, 09:20 AM

Two or three cups daily of varying size depending on the mug I grab from the cupboard. Usually done by lunch but sometimes I might finish the third with or after lunch.

I prefer locally made earthenware mugs, glass in a pinch. Stainless if I'm on the road or trail.

Folgers because I like the big plastic bins for storing parts, and it tastes good. Maxwell House Dark because it tastes good.

There's a local coffee called Coastal that I enjoy immensely but it's pricier so it's not for every cup, and I like Bicycle coffee too. One of my kids brings me Bridgehead when they come home from Ottawa.

Standard coffee perk machine, reusable filter (and/or paper filter), cleaned often.

I prefer my coffee black and cold, but will drink it luke warm if I have to. Over ice is best. I'm not above mixing beans/grinds. Sometimes it's a nice change.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

I make a 6-cup pot of half-caf at about 4am and drink the whole thing. It's about 2.5 mugs.

And then maybe another mug with breakfast about 7am.

Too much? Who can say? I love the stuff.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:55 PM

Black coffee. Lots of it. All day. No cream , sugar or decaf. Usually I use my dear mother in law's 1950's percalator. I also make cold brew in the summer. It takes 12 hours. Worth it.

Dessert without coffee is barbarous. I can drink a pot and go straight to bed and sleep as sound as a serial killer. I've also been a rotating 12 hour shift worker for many years.

I started in the USN. Now coffee (decent coffee, not submarine coffee) has no effect on me. But I still like it. That first cup before work is really the best part of the day.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:09 AM

I'm actually trying to kick the habit (I feel like I'm getting an ulcer) but the withdrawal (migraines) are also a think. I feel like I'm ready for the ol' glue factory.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic