The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-03-2021, 11:37 AM

I carry one pretty much any time I'm wearing pants (as opposed, say, to my lockdown sweatpants), so I have an assortment.

My go-to is a 3-1/4" Kabar 3-blade that I've had for decades. Simple, lightweight but useful, and it's easy to keep the blades sharp.

The rest typically inhabit drawers in bedside tables, my office desk, toolboxes or places around the house where I might grope for a sharp blade or a nail file.

Inherited from family: I have one grandfather's 3" Case 2-blade which he carried constantly during his lifetime; I treasure it, but seldom use it. From my other grandfather, I have a "gentleman's" knife (2 blades, very slim, no maker ID) with yellowed bone (or ivory?) handle and what looks like the head from an Indian-head penny cut out and inset; blades are in good shape, but the handle has a crack so I don't dare use it much. From my dad, I have a low-profile 2-blade (knife/nailfile) stainless handle Western (from Boulder, CO).

From friends, clients, et al, sourced through the years: I have several Swiss Army knives (4 actual Wenger/Delemont Switzerland or Victorinox, plus a few knock-offs) acquired between the '70s and '90s; these see action only if I'm going out in the woods, to someone's ranch, or tackling some chore that may call for a screwdriver blade (setting up a hi-fi, etc.).

I also have a few one-offs...like a fancy, tiny lockblade with wood handle and my name engraved on the blade--a groomsman gift from a friend who got married back in the early '80s. Never use it but never got around to giving it away, either.

Probably the most utilitarian of them all is a freebie 3-blade stainless keychain knife: rounded tip knife blade, nailfile, and combo screwdriver/bottlecap lifter blade...given to my dad by a tire dealer in Waco umpteen years back. Originally had three of 'em, but only one remains.

Amazing how these things seem to multiply when you're not paying close attention.

Dirk

PS...Question for all those paying attention: have you EVER successfully used any corkscrew blade attached to a knife? I've tried on a few occasions, and wine corks simply laugh at me and crumble as I make the attempt.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Carried almost every day for past 50 years. First 20 years and all office work was a double blade Buck pocket knife. At home last 30 years usually a Spyderco and later Benchmade Mini Griptilian. Most practical knife ever. One-hand open and close. Positive Axis lock on blade.

I have a Mini Griptilian also - probably the easiest one-hand mechanism I’ve ever encountered, and beautifully made. This is the only one I have with a serrated blade, which can be really useful on occasion.

I don’t carry it that much though, because the scales and clip are rough on my jeans.

IMG_1057.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-03-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post

PS...Question for all those paying attention: have you EVER successfully used any corkscrew blade attached to a knife? I've tried on a few occasions, and wine corks simply laugh at me and crumble as I make the attempt.
I've used the corkscrew on Swiss army knives a *lot* to open wine. I don't remember ever having a problem with it. I know that I'm careful twisting it in, and pull it out slowly. But it pretty much always works!

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 02-03-2021, 12:13 PM

Growing up on a farm in Wisconsin, I remember it was a really really big deal when my Uncle thought I was responsible enough to trade in my really cheap dimestore pocket knife for a Case that he bought me (his favorite brand), some 50 years later, I still have it. I guess I was pretty responsible after all.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:00 PM

I live on a small farm in New Hampshire, I always carry a basic 5 implement Swiss Army Knife. It comes into use just about every day for all kinds of tasks - opening packages, cutting baling twine, tightening screws, etc, etc. It has saved me countless trips to my toolbox. It has slipped out of my pocket a few times - very frustrating scouting the lawn, pulling apart the sofa, looking under tomato plants, under the truck seat - but I have always found it! (so far).
Old 02-03-2021, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I have the smallest swiss army knife - i carry in my tiny jeans pocket every day. Simple screwdriver, small blade for letter/package opener and a nail file for my guitar playing and a teeny scissors.

I made a set of scales from The Tree for total guitar geek-dom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP5707 (Medium).jpg (17.0 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP5710 (Medium).jpg (18.0 KB, 109 views)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-03-2021, 01:31 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Where I grew up in East Tennessee, a gentleman simply didn't go about without a pocket knife. At any gathering that was attended by me, if you ask for a knife, you'd better step back because they'd come flashing out of the pockets, casually, but rapidly. A good blade was the sign of a well-accoutered man. As a result, I've carried since I was young.

I have a small collection of knives that were given to me or that I inherited. My father favored Boker Tree Brand, bit I ended up with a very nice Bullman, a Buck, and a Case from him. Probably my favorite is a Spyderco Sage 3 bolt action with carbon fiber scales that one of my sons gave me for Christmas. My daily carry is a Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker in black that both my sons gave me when they were young. It fits the watch pocket in my jeans just right and has the tools I need.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:42 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
I usually carry one as long as I’m not headed to the airport or court house. Nothing fancy- usually a Case lock blade, peanut or Texas toothpick model- utilitarian knives that were gifts from friends or children and have some sentimental value as well as being fully functional.

Is this a rural thing?

I know there are really fancy collector knives that are like pieces of art. Do people actually use those?

Who still carries a pocket knife?
I have pocket knife acquisition syndrome. My current "Good one" is a Boker with damascus blade and bog oak handle, while my daily driver is any one of a number of Spyderco. Living in the Keys and being out on the boat a ton has made me appreciate their H1 steel, which is nitrogen instead of carbon, and is pretty darn rustproof. I have a pocket knife, an old discontinued fillet knife, and a rescue knife with that steel and really love it.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

like most others, nothing fancy. a simple Case stainless steel lockblade. If I'm working out in the yard I'll have Gerber multipliers on board instead.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerKing View Post
I have pocket knife acquisition syndrome.
PKAS.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:56 PM

I've always carried a Swiss Army Knife (mid-grade as far as how many tools). BUT, the coolest thing ever is the gift that my MIL gave me for when a pocket knife is too bulky (i.e. suit pants). Why yes, that IS a pen directly next to the tweezers....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Card Size.jpg (34.2 KB, 101 views)
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 02-03-2021, 02:17 PM

Default Pocket knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
...Is this a rural thing?

Who still carries a pocket knife?
  1. Speaking as one who grew up in a Brooklyn housing project, emphatically not...
  2. I do - usually something from the Gerber line (new or old) and, at this stage of my life, in full compliance with all applicable local laws...
Old 02-03-2021, 02:23 PM

These days I carry a small Swiss Army knife, but for years I carried a Myerchin folding knife with marlin spike because I spent a lot of time working on boats and rigging.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:31 PM

To add to my earlier reply about the Leatherman Wave. Years ago we were back country cross skiing downhill in some deep powder. I got tangled up with some buried under brush and broke one of my ski poles. Anyway, I got out the trusty LW and with the wood saw blade I cut a 1"ish Quacking Aspen about 5' long. After a little notching and whittling I attached the basket and found my way back to the trail and home. I ended up using that pole for the rest of the ski season.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

...I carry a single blade pocket knife...a Case Sodbuster Jr....I always have a Leatherman in my truck...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic