The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-03-2021, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Pocket knife

I usually carry one as long as I’m not headed to the airport or court house. Nothing fancy- usually a Case lock blade, peanut or Texas toothpick model- utilitarian knives that were gifts from friends or children and have some sentimental value as well as being fully functional.

Is this a rural thing?

I know there are really fancy collector knives that are like pieces of art. Do people actually use those?

Who still carries a pocket knife?
Old 02-03-2021, 10:11 AM

I do, but nothing fancy. Just a Kershaw Speedsafe.

Want little, and you shall have all you need.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I've got several Swiss Army knives that I've carried on many occasions, but not usually as a matter of routine. I always carried one hiking. And traveling, they came in really handy when I needed to repair the shower drain. I got pretty good at that over the years.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

I always carry one - usually a folder of some sort with a 3" or shorter blade. I've got a variety, but more often than not it's a Kershaw or CRKT.

I find a use for it every day, even if it's just opening mail or a package. Perfect for 'tear here' packaging that doesn't.

I do have some 'fancy' ones as part of a modest collection, but they are rarely, if ever, just shoved in a pocket
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-03-2021, 10:40 AM

I carry a Swiss army smallish one with Phillips/regular screw drivers, awl, openers, both bottle and can and 2 blades. I use it as a matter of habit now, it's really handy.

I figure carrying a pocket knife for any length of time, without losing it, is a function of age. I must've lost several when I was young!

Contrary to the hype, stainless steel isn't really the best blade material. The best steel, although it will rust, metallurgy is in the high carbon area and will hold an edge way longer than stainless!

Fog

Last edited by Fogducker; 02-03-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:44 AM

I always have my Boker small folder with me. I use it several times a day, every day. Opening things, peeling fruit etc.
You've just reminded me to go sharpen it!
Nick
Old 02-03-2021, 10:47 AM

I've been carrying a pocket knife of some sort since I was five or six. Growing up in the country a knife is a must have for all kinds of uses. These days I never put on a pair of pants without a Swiss army knife tethered to a belt loop (I've lost more knives than I can remember that somehow fell out of my pockets!). If I'm at the farm I usually have a Kershaw folder clipped to a pocket for rougher work.

As far as being a rural thing, you're probably right. Years ago when I married my first wife and moved to DC I was working at a frame shop and was in the lunch room on one of my first days there. I pulled out my SAK to open a can and *everyone* in the room recoiled because I had a *weapon*. I was flummoxed! I explained to them that I had always carried a pocket knife because they are useful tools. I think there were a couple of them who never did trust me....lol

With regard to collectable knives, I know I've seen some pretty ones, but if I had one I'd probably sharpen the pretty off of it pretty quick...lol. I've never collected knives (although I have a ton of them)...they all get used! I don't mind spending a little more for a good quality knife (better tools do better work), but I have too many guitars on my "to buy" list to be able to afford pretty knives. I have a couple friends who have impressive knife collections though, and some of their knives are gorgeous.

Speaking of sharpening, all mine are kept razor sharp. One of the first things I was taught about knives as a kid was how to sharpen them, and I enjoy the process still.

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 02-03-2021, 10:47 AM

I always carry a small, 2 1/4 closed, Swiss Army knife with blade, screwdriver/file blade, toothpick and tweezers. Have used countless times at home and away. Have had to surrender it at some security checks at public buildings. Got it back when leaving.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgagnon View Post
I always carry a small, 2 1/4 closed, Swiss Army knife with blade, screwdriver/file blade, toothpick and tweezers. Have used countless times at home and away. Have had to surrender it at some security checks at public buildings. Got it back when leaving.
This is the exact same one I carry.
In Canada you can take this on an airplane, so very convenient.
Epiphone Dot
Old 02-03-2021, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

A relatively inexpensive two bladed mini canoe that fits in the watch pocket of my jeans. I've carried a pocket knife most of my life.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-03-2021, 11:04 AM

Not a pocket knife but a case on the belt with a Leatheman Wave. Stainless, locking blades with many other accessories. The price has continued to climb since my first one in 1990 ish. $39, $59 now over $100. Of course there have been many improvements since the early ones.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:13 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsay777 View Post
Not a pocket knife but a case on the belt with a Leatheman Wave. Stainless, locking blades with many other accessories. The price has continued to climb since my first one in 1990 ish. $39, $59 now over $100. Of course there have been many improvements since the early ones.
I have a Leatherman Wave as well. I’ve had this one for about 10 years. They’re great! I don’t carry it regularly, but often enough and seem to have it when I need it.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:14 AM

Generally I cary what I call the world's smallest Leatherman. I think it's called a Sprite or something like that.

I'm 63 and for most of my life, I've carried a small pocket knife. Nothing fancy because I tend to lose them but normally I use them at least once day.

Best,
PJ
Old 02-03-2021, 11:23 AM

Carried almost every day for past 50 years. First 20 years and all office work was a double blade Buck pocket knife. At home last 30 years usually a Spyderco and later Benchmade Mini Griptilian. Most practical knife ever. One-hand open and close. Positive Axis lock on blade.

I have about 5 of them and another dozen Benchmades in other models. The fancier ones are letter/box openers. I'm serious about tools.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchm...iptilian--1721
Old 02-03-2021, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

British city boy here (boy ! - Huh!) Never carried a knife, well, since i was about 13.
when I go to my allotment (fruit and veg growing place) I carry a bag with three knives - two opening one - a pruning knife a penknife with an ordinary blade and one with a "box cutter blade, and a Japanese Gardeners knife called a "Hori-Hori" which has a blade of 7" or more and looks wicked.
It is illegal to carry a knife of 4"or longer in the street in the UK (without a good reason), but as I keep them in a bag with my other gardening impedimenta.

I prefer to take them over and back 'lest my shed is burgled (happened once) and they fall into the wrong hands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic