The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I had the one for about 25 years, but after not playing for a looooong time, I sold it. My acoustic "the one" was a 68 BRW D28 and my electric "the one" was a mid-70's strat. Now that I'm back into playing again, I feel pretty settled that I have another electric "the one" (a Robert Cray hardtail strat with a Roadworn 50's neck bolted on) and I may or may not be there with acoustics. I have two acoustics I love, a Martin and an Emerald, but I'm probably not done trying stuff, so it's possible something will emerge that I don't know of yet. Or not. I could easily get through life with these two acoustics (or either one of them) and never want for anything else. But since I haven't played a few guitars I'm still curious about, I'm not ready to commit...

-Ray
Old 12-03-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Only issue I have is how do you know when you've found the one?
Don't worry too much about it. Fortunately it's an illusory concept, like "perfect". The implication would be that your life is static/unchanging.

What fun would it be if you actually found "the one". The quest would be over. Bummer.

As already said, my "one" is spread out over several guitars, with the bias changing daily.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I have found true lifetime guitars that I will never willingly get rid of. That being said, I can't imagine myself finding one guitar that will make me want to shun all other guitars and play just that one forever. Maybe if I was a better musician I might be able to get there but I don't know. I think I'll always want to have different voices available. I think the only people I've ever known that are happy with one instrument forever are bass players. They're born with a bass and they'll die with that same bass. LOL
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-03-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I have found The Three.
That's about it. I'm still looking for a little one that sounds as big as the big one. That'll be the one.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1985 View Post
I have definately found the one in my 00-28vs. Being a self declared 'mahogany guy' I took a huge gamble on it and for the first year although I like it a lot I was struggling to justify keeping it when I had another excellent guitar in my furch OM32.

But the plentiful string spacing and general playability of the martin just drew me in and as I played it more and more the tone continued to get sweeter, warmer and woodier.

Now after two years of ownership its the perfect guitar, it has single handedly changed my entire perception of what a rosewood guitar could sound like.
Add to that the wonderful v neck, generous string spacing, beautiful aesthetics and its hard to imagine ever letting it go.

It does everything I need it to and doesn't complain one bit, fingerpicking, hybrid picking, carter style, strumming.

I sold the Furch last week and don't miss it one bit, for me it just couldn't match the martin in the end.

I sold the Furch OM last week, the tone and playability just couldn't match the martin in the end
Thus far, you are the one who is definitely with The One! The vast majority is in the camp of The Stridently Unapologetic Many And There's Nothing Wrong with That, Dammit.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:05 PM

Honestly, being a "one" guitar man, in the past, was a matter of necessity. And, I didn't have any feelings of jealousy, or envy, of others with higher end instruments. Why envy what you cannot afford? In fact, I've made it a habit not to play instruments I cannot afford, test drive cars I cannot afford, or tour houses I cannot afford. However, now that I can afford several nice instruments, I'm unlikely to be a one guitar person unless this CS Martin blooms into the same tonal quality of my Marquis. But, that's unlikely. And, even then, I still play 12-string. I think having a few (2-3) nice guitars is the way for me to go. Having more than I can play in a given month is probably excessive. I'm in the process of selling my 4th guitar.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I like my Martin OM-1GT more than any guitar I've owned. I've chopped and changed guitars frequently over the last few years (and I've never felt the need for more than two at a time), but this is my only guitar and I now feel completely satisfied and contented, so I guess this is 'the one'. I even like the stratabond neck... so it must be love.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:09 PM

I think there should be a 'the one' in each category. Parlor guitars, dreds, OM's and so on

A while back I accidentally came across a dred right on this forum which I think I can consider the one, so I'm getting there.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:47 PM

I found the one about 6 years ago, long enough to be certain it's THE one.

It's the only acoustic guitar I'll ever own and I couldn't be happier. It possesses the sound I sought for over 40 years. Playing another guitar would take away time that I could be spending playing the one, and that's not something I will give up.

Interestingly, and perhaps instructive is the fact that the neck width at the nut is narrower than I would prefer. This becomes meaningless for me when I strum a chord and I hear that sound. Additionally, a smaller bodied guitar would less painful on my shoulder, but again, that body style doesn't produce the sound in my head and that's all that matters to me. Apparently, not everything has to be perfect when it's tone you're seeking and you actually find the one.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-03-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Don't worry too much about it. Fortunately it's an illusory concept, like "perfect". The implication would be that your life is static/unchanging.

What fun would it be if you actually found "the one". The quest would be over. Bummer.

As already said, my "one" is spread out over several guitars, with the bias changing daily.
Very good. Sums it up well for me.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
If I had to go down to one for some unforseen reason I know which one it would be. But deliberately getting rid of what I have in search for the grail...? I'd have to be rather daft to do that. I have a killer guitar collection that took me years to hand pick and I'm not giving them up willfully to chase something I might not ever find. Love the one you're with as they say...
Pretty much this.
I’m at a stage where I don’t really care to add to the guitarsenal. And I don’t really want to get rid of anything.

My collection has nothing really expensive in it.
My “keeper” is actually an all laminate Alvarez.
And My #1 is an old Alvarez Yairi that found me just before I lost my mom.
Turns out it is also a stellar guitar.
If the house were to burn down, or someone was to steal all my guitars, I really only need three.
I’d buy a great six string. Probably an Alvarez Yairi DYM.
I’d buy a great 12-string, probably something in a Jumbo Guild.
And I replace my Journey Instruments OF660.

Currently I enjoy having lots of guitars to play. And I enjoy having them to fuss over.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 12-03-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Davis View Post
I have approximately 47 of the "ones"
Wait. You have 47 guitars? 47? Did I hear that right? 47?
Old 12-03-2019, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I don't believe in "the one."

Having said that, if my "the one" is out there, and I find it, and it makes me want to get rid of all others and never buy again, then that would be convenient.
Collings OM1 SS Baked & 001M; D Taylor Mod D cut, Sinker Red/Coco; Bourgeois OM Custom (SS, EIR); Goodall KCJC; M Kinnaird 000-12, Cedar/Walnut cut; Kenny Hill "Munich" Euro/EIR; Kodama Kanoh #50 Euro/BRW; German Vasquez Rubio "Solista" Cedar/EIR; Antonio Marin Montero "Bouchet" Euro/BRW
Old 12-03-2019, 03:07 PM

I don't know if I've found the "one." I think I have found that with the collection we have, I'm pretty satisfied and just want to get better at playing.

I do find lately, with going to guitar stores nowadays, nothing really makes me want to trade in what we already have.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Wait. You have 47 guitars? 47? Did I hear that right? 47?
I'm not the poster, but when I hear about large collections of guitars I always think of a guy who bought a bicycle from me.

He had 57 bikes (I saw pics of his garage) and claimed to ride them all.

Needless to say he was single, and worked at night.

Changing strings is nothing compared to maintaining a bike!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion