The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 03:22 PM

The "one" for me is actually two similar sounding guitars, one rosewood one mahogany. I'm more sure of that now than I was a year ago. I don't even look at guitars anymore. The only negative I have between them is that the string spacing at the bridge is different from one to the other, and I occassionally think having both be the same would be a slightly improvement.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

How many of you have truly found "the one?"

Well, I have found the dozen, not one. That's about how many good acoustic guitars I own. No matter how good one of my guitars is, and I have some very nice ones, one doesn't do it for me if I have a choice.

And I have been lucky to have a choice.

- Glenn
Old 12-03-2019, 03:37 PM

I don't think I've found "the one" yet, but I have 3 that I will never part with. My very first guitar is a cheap Carlos Robelli, part sentimental but mostly I don't think I could get $20 out of it. It does play pretty decent and my kids play it. My Taylor 110, I let it go once with major regret and was able to get it back. And my new 320 which is amazing. I see more in the future but they will add to these 3.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 12-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Default “The three?”

For almost two decades “the one” guitar for me was a 1982 Khono Sakauri .

Then, suddenly it was a Parker Nylon Fly for about 15 years.

I wanted a custom Emerald Nylon string X 10 to be “the one”, but it never was “the one”.

For the past year: Surprise! Córdoba GK Pro is “the one”.

The Córdoba is still not “The perfect one” though. But it is as close as I have come yet.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:09 PM

I've been playing just under 5 years and am lucky enough to have found the 7 (actually the 9, but two hang on my wall in my office so I don't count those). Of those 7 I feel very strong about 5 and can't imagine letting go of one without finding a stellar replacement.

So 5 is the number and the number shall be 5.
Maybe

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 12-03-2019, 04:11 PM

For most of us, the chase for "the one" is illusory, a carrot and stick kind of thing, where, sometimes, you get to chew the carrot a little while, only to find it once again ahead of you.

In my case I have some specialty guitars, and 2 of them are not likely ever to be sold, because I know I won't find another that I like better. But on the regular 6 strings, yes, I have (daily?) favorites and, yes, I can envision parting with one or more of them under the right circumstances - but I am not really expecting to. Nor am I expecting to find one that blows my socks off forever. Not sure such a thing exists for me. Not that I wouldn't like it if it did.

I make changes very slowly and seem to have bought more than I have sold. It's more fun that way; with nothing to look forward to as a replacement, there is nothing fun or exciting in selling a good guitar. But there sure is when I acquire one.

But finding "The One".... I don't think so.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

My one has turned into two - my Wingert Model E deep body grand concert 12 fret cutaway (cocobolo) and my Kramer scaled down slope shoulder 14 fret non-cutaway (mahogany). Two different voices in comfortable packages. After playing the rosewood Wingert for 15 years with its lush deep voice, it is nice to have the brighter and more fundamental tone of the Kramer. They complement each other nicely. My ears and hands are so spoiled!

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
How many of you guys out there have truly found "the one?" I'm talking true long lasting love, would never sell, and nothing else could make you as happy as the one?

First of all, I envy you.

Only issue I have is how do you know when you've found the one?
I hear your Cries, Shades of Blue....But I beg you to look at this question from another angle....
When we hear a great fairy tale story...it is always about the journey. The Happiness at the end is always nice, but it is the story of the Journey, that we all remember.
Yes, I have found the one. However that does not stop me from modifying, tinkering, experimenting with it, to improve it even more. That does not stop me from listening to other guitars That might change my mind.
Just like true love, sometimes the girl you thought was right for you, isn't at all. You just needed to be enlightened. I am constantly being enlightened about Guitar Tones. So I say, Who cares if you never get to the end...IT is all about the Journey!
Old 12-03-2019, 04:58 PM

For my tastes, I don't think there is 'the one.' I can''t imagine any one guitar being the best at flat pick strumming and fingerpicking. Plus, both rosewood and mahogany back and sides each bring a special flavor to the table.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 12-03-2019, 05:05 PM

Ive been through Brazilian Martins and Koa Goodalls - and others. I've got three now that I won't part with.

Two are from the 70's - a small-body Gurian - Brazilian - that rings like a bell; a small body mahogany Guild that needs work but sounds great and is so, so playable; and a 30-year-old Indian Claxton that can go from powerful to sweet at the touch of a pick.

What I've found is that these guitars have their favorite keys, where they sound and feel the best. I've never found one that plays in all keys better than the rest.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:29 PM

The changing ear and skills dictate an equally changing instrument to satisfy them. I can't conclude there is a single instrument that will provide for those changes.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Maybe - too soon to tell......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
...My advice, start in a little town called Nazareth Pennsylvania.
I would have scoffed at this advice until this week....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 12-03-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:02 PM

The one? I found the Lord, my bride and an OM-28. That’s all i need man! Dump all that gear you dont need and find “the one!” My advice, start in a little town called Nazareth Pennsylvania.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:19 PM

If I had to only have one guitar, I would treat it like I did when I proposed to my wife: I decided I couldn't live without her and then choose to make her "the one."

I bet I could have questioned whether I married the right person from time to time, especially when we were just starting out, but I knew I committed all that I am to her and that's that--no more window shopping. No more browsing the "classifieds."

Thankfully, my only true "one" doesn't care if I have multiple guitars.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:40 PM

I have.
My Taylor 114e

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion