The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 06:24 AM

Default Breedlove Prototype question

Hi,
I was at my local shop and I found a Breedlove prototype guitar. Its a Sc20/w/w- it has walnut back and sides and walnut top. And when I saw the Steve Henderson signature my heart lept a bit because I know that these are fairly more desired than Kim Breedlove's builds. Does anyone know anything about the guitars, I know some prototypes never have labels on the inside so this one is unique(I think)
PRS CE-24 Semi-Hollow
Old 10-19-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

I would suggest that you call Breedlove - call, not email - and have them give you whatever information you need regarding this guitar. I'm certain they will be happy to give you anything you need! Then you will have no doubts about your questions...

You might also try calling Kurt Dietrich at Bullfrog Music, here in Corvallis. He is the biggest Breedlove dealer in Oregon, even though we live in a fairly small town (55k pop.); Kurt has been selling Breedloves for over a decade and knows a LOT about all the in's and out's of the various models. Wed-Sat, he's in the store, usually until 5 pm or so.

From what I know, yes, Henderson's builds are highly regarded. There is one of our members, Larry Pattis, who is quite knowledgeable about Breedlove guitars, especially "from the old days". He doesn't come here all that much these days, but perhaps if you sent him a message, he'd respond.

Good luck with you search, and I hope this helps a bit.

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-19-2019, 12:51 PM

For me no signature makes a guitar more, or less desirable. How did it feel, sound, look, make you feel? If you loved the guitar, was it a price that you could and would pay? Did you buy it? You see, I've never found a guitar I really loved that I didn't discuss buying it with the seller and making a decision on the day. I have made a decision to buy and then slept on it for a day or two, replayed it and then bought it. However, I've found that if it didn't move you enough to attempt a purchase, it didn't move you enough. "Checking out" a guitar won't make anyone like it more after the fact. To me it doesn't matter if a guitar is one of one or one of 10,000, if it moves me, it moves me.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
For me no signature makes a guitar more, or less desirable. How did it feel, sound, look, make you feel? If you loved the guitar, was it a price that you could and would pay? Did you buy it? You see, I've never found a guitar I really loved that I didn't discuss buying it with the seller and making a decision on the day. I have made a decision to buy and then slept on it for a day or two, replayed it and then bought it. However, I've found that if it didn't move you enough to attempt a purchase, it didn't move you enough. "Checking out" a guitar won't make anyone like it more after the fact. To me it doesn't matter if a guitar is one of one or one of 10,000, if it moves me, it moves me.

So it did have a label on the inside. I tried to post the picture but it didn’t work. I put the guitar on layaway until I have more information. It was priced at 800 which I thought for the guitar was extremely reasonable.
PRS CE-24 Semi-Hollow
Old 10-19-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
So it did have a label on the inside. I tried to post the picture but it didn’t work. I put the guitar on layaway until I have more information. It was priced at 800 which I thought for the guitar was extremely reasonable.
Depending on the model and condition, $800 is very reasonable.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:22 PM

Default Breedlove SC20

I live in the same area as you and I believe I saw the same SC20. I really liked the sound of this guitar and was thinking about purchasing it. I have been trying to get more info from the store but have not been successful. Was there a particular reason why you did not buy the guitar?
Old 12-09-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77427 View Post
I live in the same area as you and I believe I saw the same SC20. I really liked the sound of this guitar and was thinking about purchasing it. I have been trying to get more info from the store but have not been successful. Was there a particular reason why you did not buy the guitar?
I ended up passing on it and am looking at a Godin instead. I would put a pick up in it and that would be a 300$ pick up so it didn't seem cost effective. And I already have 2 acoustics so I was having a hard time spending. Is it still there? I still think its a superb guitar and beautiful imo. Sounded excellent even with the old strings on it.
PRS CE-24 Semi-Hollow

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion