The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-04-2021, 08:28 PM

Default R.I.P. Joseph R. Beatty

On Sunday Feb 28, my friend Joe Beatty died suddenly in an accident.

"Mighty Joe" made his living with his acoustic guitar, speaker, and mic, all over the Chicago area at bars, restaurants, and parties. I played out with him a few times, and he was always encouraging, put me in touch with his agent, and gave me the tips that got me started. He was always doing things like that for people. He had a great way with an audience and was a good friend to everyone. I had so much more to learn from him and I can't believe he's gone.

I'll miss you, Joe.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Condolences on the loss of your friend

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-04-2021, 09:52 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Such a shame to be taken unexpectedly in an accident. Seems like he was a great guy. I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. Hope your heart heals with him forever there. Be well.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:44 AM

Sorry for your loss. He sounds like someone who was an uplifting presence.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

So sad...sorry for you loss. May he rest in peace.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-05-2021, 12:32 PM

Condolences for the loss of a friend of this type fall short.
I’m sure his memories will stay with you forever.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-24-2021, 09:47 PM

Still in shock three weeks later. We still don't know the details, other than he was found in his driveway and was only 53. No cause of death was mentioned in his obituary.

There was a benefit tribute jam held for him last Sat., March 20, at the Circle Inn in Forest Park, IL--where he played very often and had many fans. Attendance at the jam reflected that, which is touching but more than a little unnerving. I was on the fence about going, but I'm almost a month past my second Moderna shot and always wear my mask. My husband pointed out that I might regret not paying my respects, and friends I hadn't seen in over a year had said they'd be there, so I went.

The place was noisy & jammed (and much of the crowd was unmasked--this was outside Chi. city limits, and suburban Cook County has no capacity restrictions); and my first instinct was to turn around and run back to my car--but a mutual friend (a bagpiper) & his wife were there (also masked) to perform one number. I was gratified to see how many people's lives were touched by his music; but I felt increasingly uncomfortable and left after an hour.

I'm of two minds on this--I heard the jam went well past midnight, and much money was raised for a memorial plaque for Joe (and presumably, donations to his favorite charity at his alma mater Concordia U.). But I would be lying if I said I still don't harbor a little trepidation about having been in that packed little dive bar--mask & vaccine notwithstanding.

Nobody brought up the subject of how he died--we all wanted to respect his family's (especially his parents') wishes for privacy, so all talk was about his life & music.

I still can't believe he's gone.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Still in shock three weeks later. We still don't know the details, other than he was found in his driveway and was only 53. No cause of death was mentioned in his obituary.
He slipped on ice in his driveway and hit his head. I know it's a cliche to say this, but it really drives home how you can go at any moment.

I'm sorry I missed that jam. Didn't know about it until reading it here.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

What a shame! I'm sorry for the people who knew him who will grieve his loss. It sounds like he was a genuinely good guy who will be very much missed.

- Glenn
Old 03-26-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
He slipped on ice in his driveway and hit his head. I know it's a cliche to say this, but it really drives home how you can go at any moment.

I'm sorry I missed that jam. Didn't know about it until reading it here.
Only goes to show us how fickle the fates can be--and that nothing in life is a given.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:14 AM

Default Mighty Joe

I just heard about this. I am so sad. I first met Joe when we were extra's in a Samuel L Jackoson movie, the Negotiator. I was late cold and rainy October, night. The scene was a police helicopter and we were on lookers on the ground. No one could see us on film so we moved to the back and screwed around, smoking cigarettes,laughing and joking. Unbeknownst to me, we would meet again in a comedy show, Tony N Tina's Wedding. He was the wedding band singer and I was one of the cast members. We were close, hung out and had some great times. He was such a good person with a huge heart and always a smile on his face. Extremely talented. A few years after the show ended, I would often see him play at a bar in Carol Stream. One night, he brought me up to play with him and we sang a goofy blues song. We both used comic voices as old bluesmen! It was hilarious. Last year I saw he was hurting due to Covid and had a Go Fund Me account. I rarely donated to Go Fund me accounts, but I saw my friend struggling and I had to donate. If anyone deserved it, Joe did. This man Joe, was truly Mighty. I hate to say this but there are people in this world that are horrible and I think, "Why Joe? Why not someone horrible that deserves it." I know that is a bad thing to say, but why Joe? If more people were like Mighty Joe, the world would be better. He was the example to follow. He will be sorely missed and loved! God has another Angel-Rocker to play for Him. God Bless Mighty Joe and I hope to see you again my friend. Tears of sadness, but also tears of joy knowing you're in a better place. You gave happiness to those of us left behind. See you on the other side one day my brother.
TP:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic