The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Default New things find me.

When I was young and single an older fellow advised me that if I wanted to find a girl go out shooting pool with the boys. I'm going to admit that he was right, I wasn't looking for a girl when I found mine of forty years. It seems with guitars and guitar stuff, all my good stuff is the stuff that found me when I wasn't looking.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-26-2021, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

I can see that. Guitars generally find me. It's kinda rare that I go out looking to buy a guitar, but occasionally I'll be browsing around and just pick one up out of curiosity and suddenly it has a new home.

I met my wife of 30 years on a blind date. Not really sure where that tactic falls into this discussion. LOL
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-26-2021, 12:33 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
When I was young and single an older fellow advised me that if I wanted to find a girl go out shooting pool with the boys. I'm going to admit that he was right, I wasn't looking for a girl when I found mine of forty years. It seems with guitars and guitar stuff, all my good stuff is the stuff that found me when I wasn't looking.
I’m ready. Tell your story. Which guitar found you and how did it find you?
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 01-26-2021, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
I’m ready. Tell your story. Which guitar found you and how did it find you?
No story really. I didn't have anything in particular in mind. I was just thinking about it because I commented on another thread about the picks I got for Christmas. As far as guitars, the guitars I've bought and really liked, and never lost interest in, were always ones that came along when I was looking for something else, or not looking for a new guitar at all. The amp that I like to play my electric over is the Marshall amp that I spotted across the street at a garage sale while I was drinking coffee in a coffee shop and just went over and bought it as I was leaving for no other reason than she was asking twenty bucks for it.

Like I said no big story, just little ones. Probably the best is a ukulele story. My grand daughter got a hold of my ukulele and broke it. It was a pretty nice one, solid mahogany. I went looking for a replacement and found one at Elderly that I liked. Short story, one thing led to another and Elderly kept coming up short and couldn't deliver. Finally they felt bad and offered me a beautiful concert ukulele made with solid Myrtle sides and back and a solid Cedar top for the same price of the one they couldn't deliver on. It is just a beautiful ukulele and sounds so sweet. I've now had it for years and would never part with it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

Old 01-26-2021, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

I had no knowledge of the Epiphone Texan before the day I bought mine. I had my eyes open for an affordable but still old J 45, walked into a shop and there were four hanging on the wall. None were inspiring. My gaze went to the old oddball guitar side of the room, and there was the Texan, hanging with the orphans. It had a hideous sunburst, but what the heck, it was a 65, so give it a try. Could not put it down. For hours. It just clicked. I did not go to Santa Cruz to guitar shop that day, but if I have time, I try to get to Sylvan.

I'm still waiting for the next door neighbor to mention the old D 18 that no one in the family wants.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-26-2021, 02:39 PM

I'm convinced all my keepers found me.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:23 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
No story really. I didn't have anything in particular in mind. I was just thinking about it because I commented on another thread about the picks I got for Christmas. As far as guitars, the guitars I've bought and really liked, and never lost interest in, were always ones that came along when I was looking for something else, or not looking for a new guitar at all. The amp that I like to play my electric over is the Marshall amp that I spotted across the street at a garage sale while I was drinking coffee in a coffee shop and just went over and bought it as I was leaving for no other reason than she was asking twenty bucks for it.

Like I said no big story, just little ones. Probably the best is a ukulele story. My grand daughter got a hold of my ukulele and broke it. It was a pretty nice one, solid mahogany. I went looking for a replacement and found one at Elderly that I liked. Short story, one thing led to another and Elderly kept coming up short and couldn't deliver. Finally they felt bad and offered me a beautiful concert ukulele made with solid Myrtle sides and back and a solid Cedar top for the same price of the one they couldn't deliver on. It is just a beautiful ukulele and sounds so sweet. I've now had it for years and would never part with it.
Nice story! I’ve always enjoyed your stories like when you wrote about your busking experience previously. I thought you had a Part 2 to your Goldilocks thread where a new guitar found you! That could still happen, I guess.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 01-27-2021, 04:53 AM

I can relate, My wife found me at a Halloween party 38 years ago. My hobbies and interests do tend to find me. The old saying “If you hang around a barber shop long enough you are bound to get a haircut” applies. The trick is to get out of the house often and life will happen all around you.

The last guitar I bought, about I year ago was just stumbled upon. I was driving through Peterborough Ontario and just stopped in to a music store. No intention of buying anything, just enjoying the browsing. I saw a used Eastman E15SS and played it and played it and played. I thought is no way I can leave the store without it. It’s my favorite guitar and I play it everyday.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 01-27-2021 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:03 AM

Found a '57 Gibson J-50 for $189 in a pawn shop in San Francisco back in the late '90's when I was in there killing time before a job interview at a place next door to it. I was really broke and certainly wasn't looking to buy a guitar but the guy in the shop let me put $10 down on it to hold it for 2 weeks. I got the job I was interviewing for and was able to pay the rest off.

I was visiting a friend in LA a few years ago, they worked in Santa Monica and I was killing time waiting to have lunch with them, so went into McCabe's - played a bunch of guitars, then picked up a '69 Martin 00-18 and couldn't put it down for nearly 3 hours - not surprisingly I walked out with it, and still managed to make it to lunch in the nick of time! My friend is a guitar player as well so would've been understanding anyway if I'd ended up arriving late.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Nice story! I’ve always enjoyed your stories like when you wrote about your busking experience previously. I thought you had a Part 2 to your Goldilocks thread where a new guitar found you! That could still happen, I guess.
I think that might be the problem with my Goldilocks guitar, I'm trying too hard. Maybe I need to quit looking at guitars all day every day and just wait until I run across something in my travels that fills the bill.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

Old 01-27-2021, 12:54 PM

I’m older but I have found every guitar, they did not find me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion