The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-28-2020, 02:59 AM

Default Classical Guitars opening up

Hi there, fellow Classical Guitarists,

I've been happy to have all my classical guitars as all-solid instruments.
And I've observed that they do open up.
Maybe not in such a spectacular fashion as steel stringed instruments, but they do.

My guitars were always cedar topped, so, out of the box, top was offering most of its potential.

But then we have spruce for bracing, which also plays a role and tends to open up, making the top more lively.
And the back, which adds to the overall quality of the sound, also opens up. The harder the wood, the longer it takes.

My cedar/mahogany instrument open within 3 months, or so.

My current guitar, that I've had for almost two years now, has developed more subtle overtones and I begin to feel vibrations of the whole body, in a more harmonious way.

Some frequencies/chords, tend to make the whole body vibrate, so much more than before.

What is your experience with this?
Old 12-28-2020, 05:45 AM

My experiences with solid top instruments are very similar to yours. Cedar is good to go right out of the box and spruce takes time to reach its potential. With double tops or lattice braced guitars I have owned, the time to "open up" is drastically reduced. I don't know the reason but they seem to reach their potential within a few weeks of delivery.

Cincy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical