The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-28-2021, 11:14 PM

I direct messaged you guys here. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2021, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
What emails should I use and would a condenser with phantom power be better than an SM57?
My experience is that a well positioned '57 will be a safer bet, particularly if you're collaborating remotely. Once you're running the process for yourself and can spend the afternoon in trial and error exploration you'll be able to assess your outcomes in real time and manipulate your variables, like mic choice/position, more effectively.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:25 AM

Well, I recorded for both of my guitars and sent to the experts. I wonder how well I did mic placement, though. Any tips?
Old 03-01-2021, 09:48 AM

I've private messaged you a Google Drive link to your IRs. My script is written for a stereo file, pickup left, mic right, and I glued your mono files together in Audacity. It would be easier for me if they were stereo to start with :~).

Cuki wrote significant UI code and his script can be used to load stereo or mono files and can even run a recording session. My script is sincerely just the bare bones.

If you know how to use a DAW to make a recording, running my script is really easy and the link to directions is in my signature below. Running at home lets you keep a library of recordings and matching IRs, and also is a convenient way to modify the recording by EQing the mic to taste and then generate an IR with that EQ baked in.

I did QA the recordings as I wanted to make sure I panned them correctly. I thought the 0015 mic recording did not sound as good as the 00028. The mic is the target for the IR and the IR will never be better than that mic recording.

Your playing is excellent! Too bad the IR generator cares not a bit for talent...

Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-01-2021, 10:43 AM

I have the audio interface for a few days longer. I could record the 00 15 again. Do you have any suggestions to improve it? It will have a dramatically different sound from the other guitar. It is all mahogany and smaller.

Thank you!
Old 03-01-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
I have the audio interface for a few days longer. I could record the 00 15 again. Do you have any suggestions to improve it? It will have a dramatically different sound from the other guitar. It is all mahogany and smaller.

Thank you!
Try mic putting the mic a little further away and send me the recording for processing. BUT, if you like the IRs I sent you this morning, that is all that matters.

A low end recording interface like a Scarlett Solo is a good investment. An equivalent Behringer can be had for half the price.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-02-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:54 AM

Hi Kevin,

You've got your message allocation used up and I can't reply to your latest. In general it would be easier for me if you used my gmail.

Thanks,
Jon

This is what I was going to message you regarding IR/bypass mix:

Yes, IR's are often mono wav files 2048 16-bit samples long.

Some IRs, such as Fishman Aura, use FIR and IIR techniques in their generation. Fishman is looking to optimize power consumption to enable battery power inside a guitar. It can all get complicated... But net-net 100% Aura sounds bad, and 50% sounds quite good.

Mic's are not used to amplify guitars live for a host of reasons, but one of them is realistic guitar bass response is more prone to feedback. Using an IR is similar to using a mic in this regard and if you are having feedback problems, then more pickup and less IR. I found for my use at high stage volumes 60-70% IR was the sweet spot using an HX Stomp (because we hear power, not amplitude, these mix numbers are a bit complicated and who knows for a particular pedal if they are labeled with power or amplitude...).

So all the electrical engineering speak must be tough to read and I've skipped as much of the hard stuff as I know how :~).

Bottom line, do what sounds good to you. Perfecting the mic placement for IR generation is not too hard, but also likely not that important either for IR usage in live performance which is likely to have raw pickup (bypass) in it too.

I can respond faster if you use my gmail address. I don't always look at the AGF that often and there are no message limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson
i may - if ok - ask some more questions later as i try to put this into my HX stomp... but i guess you typically don't run it 100% IR? and i can't remember from what i've done before, but IR files are wav files? thank you so much...

Jon Fields
Old 03-03-2021, 04:00 PM

Sorry if this has been covered already. Do you guys have better results with fresh stings, stings that have been played a few days or does it matter much? I have the Anthem in my guitars and use full mic for acoustic shows but if/when my big band starts up again I would use more of the UST to help control feedback.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Slaughter View Post
Sorry if this has been covered already. Do you guys have better results with fresh stings, stings that have been played a few days or does it matter much? I have the Anthem in my guitars and use full mic for acoustic shows but if/when my big band starts up again I would use more of the UST to help control feedback.
James May has said fresh strings are not a requirement as the pickup and the mic are similarly impacted. The IR is only interested in the difference which in his experience stays about the same regardless of string condition.

I've not got enough personal experience since I change the strings on my instruments regularly.

Jon Fields
Old 03-20-2021, 08:53 PM

Default FREE Custom IRs for Your Guitar and Its Pickup (Acoustic Guitar IR Impulse Response)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Agreed! I sold my electric pedals to buy the Line HX Effects. It was my all in one solution for acoustic and electric, thanks to the custom IRs Cuki made for me. I am selling the HX to buy the bigger brother Helix LT as I need the stereo preamp model that the bigger brother has. That, and the XLR out make for a one pedal solution. No need for a DI or separate acoustic preamp.

Now that you guys are offering software for me to make my own IRs, the AGF delight is complete. I often have friends wanting help with acoustic pickup installation etc. If I can learn to offer them what you guys are offering us, that will be huge.

Thanks for all your help Steve, Jon and Cuki! I too recently sold my pedals and went all in with the Line 6 Pod Go. Just downloaded the IRs of the McIlroy A25c for my McIlroy AP25... a very close match. I tried it with my LR Baggs Lyric and it definitely improved the tone, fuller bass and less boxy tone. But I will be trying it later with my Schatten HFN passive tomorrow. I really liked the Schatten in my first McIlroy, an A30c. I’m really looking forward to learning and Implementing IR into my plugged in acoustic play. Thanks!
Line6 Pod Go ("Helix Lite")

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-1...c00vCM5OTc-dmA

Last edited by Eucatastrophe; 03-20-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:43 AM

Wow, just found this thread after asking about acoustic IRs over at the fractal forum.

John, just wanted to thank you for this labor of love. Can't wait to dig in and run some of my acoustics through your algorithm. I'm elated that someone pointed me towards this resource!

My Band!
Old 03-22-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post
Wow, just found this thread after asking about acoustic IRs over at the fractal forum.

John, just wanted to thank you for this labor of love. Can't wait to dig in and run some of my acoustics through your algorithm. I'm elated that someone pointed me towards this resource!
Check out our website:
http://acousticir.free.fr

You will find Jon’s algorithm and mine free to download and some information about how to use them.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-22-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Check out our website:
http://acousticir.free.fr

You will find Jon’s algorithm and mine free to download and some information about how to use them.
Thanks Cuki! (didn't realize there were two folks driving this train). cant wait to carve out some time and dig in

My Band!
Old 03-22-2021, 02:43 PM

Also, while I'm waiting to carve out some time to do all of this, i'll ask a question:

How do these IRs play with, um, guitar "body" kinds of sounds? ie, string slapping, tapping on the soundboard, etc? I used to have a D-TAR mama bear which I used with a piezo pickup, that never reproduced those kinds of sounds very well to my ears. Likely because the piezo pickup itself didn't capture them very well.

Should I try and include some of this kind of playing in my IR capture recordings? (John Mayer's stop this train is a good example of what I'm talking about: in the live recording at nokia, you can see/hear his pickup not capturing the string slaps very well, compared to the studio recording.)

My Band!
Old 03-22-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post
Also, while I'm waiting to carve out some time to do all of this, i'll ask a question:

How do these IRs play with, um, guitar "body" kinds of sounds? ie, string slapping, tapping on the soundboard, etc? I used to have a D-TAR mama bear which I used with a piezo pickup, that never reproduced those kinds of sounds very well to my ears. Likely because the piezo pickup itself didn't capture them very well.

Should I try and include some of this kind of playing in my IR capture recordings? (John Mayer's stop this train is a good example of what I'm talking about: in the live recording at nokia, you can see/hear his pickup not capturing the string slaps very well, compared to the studio recording.)
The IR can not create what the sensor does not sens.

If you use body percussion tone, you will need a soundboard transducer pickup or an internal mic.

An undersaddle pickup + IR can not convey body tapping....
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification