The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-13-2012, 10:39 PM

Well, I do have the pickup. I just need the time to install it. I do plan on making a comparison with the old pickup. Hopefully this week.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 PM

I still haven't forgotten about this thread. I'd like to know what you think of your anthem.

Have you had a chance to get it installed yet?

kr

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 PM

....curious about the Anthem classical.....

I have had a very good experience with the LR Baggs "Hexaphonic" system -- I have forgotten what it is being marketed as name-wise, but it is the system with the (6) individual saddle pieces. This system cured the problem of imbalances between individual string volumes.

Please keep us posted....
Old 02-28-2012, 08:14 PM

I'm sorry I just haven't had time to complete my video. I'll at least tell you what I think of the pickup.

I actually like the undersaddle sound. It picks up some air/ body sound. I usually think Undersaddles are too electronic sounding but this one has a descent natural sound to it.

The Tru-mic was disappointing to me. It certainly does resist feedback but it is very noisy. By noisy I mean it picks up my arm rubbing on the guitar. There also tends to be a good amount of hiss with it. At first I had the Tru-mic at about 10% but after doing a rehearsal with it, I just completely cut it. It's just too tinny sounding and noisy.

With the guitar I have, I will continue to use this pickup with just the undersaddle. As I upgrade guitars, I would seriously consider the Baggs undersaddle with a nice internal microphone like a DPA or AMT.

I still see what I can do about a video with sound samples. In the mean time feel free to ask questions.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:36 AM

I'm sorry to hear about the Tru-Mic.

I've just purchased a Baggs Element (UST) myself. According to my local master's-degree-holding-and-frequently-gigging classical guitarist, he has several high-dollar classicals into which he's installed these pickups and claims that he's noticed no degradation of acoustic tone and he really likes the way they sound.

I do own a K&K Meridian external mic that I plan to use in conjunction with the Element. I hope to have the installation done within the next week or so.

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 03-04-2012, 06:42 AM

Wedding guy,
You probably knew this but the Baggs Anthem includes the Baggs Element UST. It does have a nice sound.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 AM

David, I enjoyed your music on your website and your YouTube videos.

If I can contribute my two cent experience:

I am very pleased with the Miniflex Model 2 http://miniflexmic.com which I had the opportunity to appreciate by watching Martin Tallstrom testing on YouTube. It works wonderfully on my Acoustic guitar and –with the flamenco Harness- on my German Vasquez Rubio.

It keeps feedback at bay, preserves a genuine acoustic sound and tone. Depending on your attack you may need to adjust slightly your eq setting, but generally I find it unnecessary for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf1k2...eature=channel
(Engelmann Spruce and Indian Rosewood)
German Vazquez Rubio -Flamenco Blanca
(Spruce and Spanish Cypress)

Last edited by gj Michelob; 03-05-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj Michelob View Post
David, I enjoyed your music on your website and your YouTube videos.

If I can contribute my two cent experience:

I am very pleased with the Miniflex Model 2 http://miniflexmic.com which I had the opportunity to appreciate by watching Martin Tallstrom testing on YouTube. It works wonderfully on my Acoustic guitar and –with the flamenco Harness- on my German Vasquez Rubio.

It keeps feedback at bay, preserves a genuine acoustic sound and tone. Depending on your attack you may need to adjust slightly your eq setting, but generally I find it unnecessary for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf1k2...eature=channel
I've seen this and heard good things about it. I will definitely consider it on a future guitar. Thanks for checking out my music.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthman View Post
I would go for an active co-axial type UST like the Headway Snake, Baggs Element, Shadow Nanoflex.

This type of UST produces a much more natural acoustic tone than the usual bar type UST. They are also much less prone to feedback than the stick-on transducer type of PU.
Hello. I'm new to AGF and new to nylon string PUs. I like the Asturius I bought back in the 70s with its 2-inch nut and so don't see myself with say, the Taylors with their 1-7/8 and proprietary PUs. So I want to retrofit my old Asturius. I'd like to try some of the suggestions made here, but if I don't like whatever I try first and want to try something else, what kind of trouble will I run into changing from one to another. I don't mind drilling a hole but don't want to drill more. I don't want to Velcro a pouch to the side for the preamp but neither do I want a passive PU with less control, so a separate preamp on the floor or whatever would be okay.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross-Eyed-Slim View Post
Hello. I'm new to AGF and new to nylon string PUs. I like the Asturius I bought back in the 70s with its 2-inch nut and so don't see myself with say, the Taylors with their 1-7/8 and proprietary PUs. So I want to retrofit my old Asturius. I'd like to try some of the suggestions made here, but if I don't like whatever I try first and want to try something else, what kind of trouble will I run into changing from one to another. I don't mind drilling a hole but don't want to drill more. I don't want to Velcro a pouch to the side for the preamp but neither do I want a passive PU with less control, so a separate preamp on the floor or whatever would be okay.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Undersaddle pickups (UST) are easy to swap out because you don't have to glue anything in. You will have to drill a small hole under the saddle. You will also need a hole for the jack. The Miniflex mic mentioned above also uses no glue. This thread seems to have a general consensus that Undersaddle pickups are the most commonly preferred pickup for classical guitars.

(IF you are drilling the hole for the jack yourself and have never done it, start with a small 1/4" to 3/8" drill bit. Put piece of masking tape on the guitar to avoid having the wood tear out. Drill the hole slowly - meaning don't force it. After this use a reamer to safely finish widening the hole to the appropriate width-usually 1/2". Since the reamer has a taper to it, the inside of the hole is going to be smaller. So you will have to use a rat tale file to finish widening that part. I've found this to be the safest way with common tools.)

Some of the pickups require you to have a battery attached inside the guitar. If you want portability, a built in preamp with some controls will be ideal. However, you will likely get a better quality sound and more control with an external preamp.

If you read through this thread and other threads you will get an idea of good UST pickups and preamps.

I'm mostly satisfied with my setup of the L.R. Baggs Anthem, in which I only use the baggs element. So in the future I would just by the Element (or similar UST pickup). I think I would add a mic to this. Depending on my budget I would probably get the miniflex or some other small condensor mic that was of decent quality. I'm not sure if these could be wired into the Baggs Element jack. Might have to drill a 2nd hole for this. As far as the preamp, I am very satisfied with the DTAR Solstice. I also use the Baggs Para DI depending on my situation.

Let us know if you have other questions.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:03 PM

Thanks, David. Another question: do the USTs take up enough room so that you have to change to a shorter saddle? Do different PUs have different sizes necessitating a custom saddle with each one? And does the saddle matter vis-a-vis bone, ivory, composite?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Interesting thread! Great info!

I've got a Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova crossover that's got the Baggs Dual Source system (I believe that like the Anthem, it includes the Element UST as the saddle portion of the system). But I've also got a low-end Breedlove Passport crossover that a tech suggested I put the Element in and I was actually thinking about going with the Anthem SL. Upon reading this thread, I'm tempted to just go with the Element now.

Honestly... I'm working on recording an original nuevo flamenco style album on my DAW right now and definitely prefer the tone I'm getting using a straight-up Shure SM81 mic with the guitar not plugged in at all. So when I start my solo acoustic gig that I'll be doing after I've got my CD mastered, I'm tempted at the present to just try to see if I can get by using the Shure for live work. I'll be playing through my PA with a laptop playing the backing tracks.

P.S. I've been using the Para DI for all of my acoustics for the past year and am very happy with it. I test drove some of the Fishman preamps as well, and was much happier with the Baggs unit.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:48 AM

Cross-Eyed-Slim
the UST's vary in thickness. You will likely need to lower your saddle a bit. Let me know if you need some advice on how to do that. Otherwise you will need to find a GOOD repairman. (I recommend doing it yourself - it's fairly easy)

As far as material, I always prefer bone. Micarta is another decent option and is a little cheaper and easier to work with. TUSQ is expensive and very similar to bone as far as tone.

Red Label,
Sounds like a good idea to try working with what you have first. Your microphone should work great. The only problem you may have is getting feedback. I traveled with a condensor for a little bit but had too many feedback issues in smaller venues. But that doesn't mean it won't work for you.

I agree, the Para DI is an excellent unit. I've got one that I keep in my gig bag for various situations. It's great having all the eq options on it.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:02 PM

Default Pick-up

Give the Prismatone 11 by Sam Kennedy a try...I have it in my Sand Guitar and love it.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:56 PM

Default I'm really liking two systems

I have been always chasing that natural acoustic sound with the out to pizzo quack and riverbanks sound. I think amplifying nylon string guitars is hard. Once you get to the point that it will never sound like a Neumann M149 mic through a Martech mic pre you Hafe way there. I have tried just about every system out there and the two I recomend are LR Baggs Lyric 199.00 street and Carlos Double 700.00 and then installs. The Lyric just needs the end pin jack that's it the Carlos system needs a hole through soundboard, a small chanel cut in saddle slot for coax and both systems mount volume controls. The Lyric sounds very much like a good Shure sm57 mic placed in front of the guitar. The Carlos is very capable of capturing some of the wood tone and natural acoustic sound of your instrument. The Carlos system very much benefits from being good active EQ such as. dule source Rane AP13. The LR Baggs dose well with Venue DI. I run both systems into a Bose L1S or small mixer with various speakers like QSC or Behringer. I have the LR Baggs on Córdoba 45FP and Carlos on Zofia A1F Cedar Blanca both guitars are flamenco.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical