The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Oh - I'd also put my Yamaha LJ56 toe to toe with any Goodall. Easily.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Don't believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
Oh - I'd also put my Yamaha LJ56 toe to toe with any Goodall. Easily.
Don't believe ... Show me.

JK - I've always wondered about these premium Yamaha. Never tried. I must believe they are more accessible in other parts of the world.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:55 PM

For that "tingling sensation", you don't need a new guitar. Get a pickup with a short.

My Goodall sounds and plays as good as anything I have ever owned. Of course, there's others that I like really, really well (otherwise, I wouldn't have bought them), but when I pick up the Goodall, I realize once more that it is just as special.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:06 PM

I was specifically looking at and for a concert jumbo redwood/rosewood and didn't have good luck finding something I trusted buying sight unseen. I ended of buying a Doerr Solace in redwood/ziricote that I think sounds just as "3D" as Goodall, with more Ryan style bass. Usually I would not steer towards my own description of that guitar, but it's indescribable in its own right, both balance wise, projection wise, and playability wise. I paid less than I would have for an equivalent condition Goodall by maybe a grand. It's an '07 (pre-Somogyi) and Tom himself answered any questions I had (no matter how insignificant they were) within hours through email. It's been a great experience!

Last edited by keenans93093; 01-26-2021 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Grammer airers
Old 01-26-2021, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Default That is a great description

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenans93093 View Post
I was specifically looking at and for a concert jumbo redwood/rosewood and didn't have good luck finding something I trusted buying sight unseen. I ended of buying a Doerr Solace in redwood/ziricote that I think sounds just as "3D" as Goodall, with more Ryan style bass. Usually I would not steer towards my own description of that guitar, but it's indescribable in its own right, both balance wise, projection wise, and playability wise. I paid less than I would have for an equivalent condition Goodall by maybe a grand. It's an '07 (pre-Somogyi) and Tom himself answered any questions I had (no matter how insignificant they were) within hours through email. It's been a great experience!
Wow - I think i understand what you mean. If I understand correctly, then it sounds like a monster guitar. The Ryan bass is intoxicating indeed. So happy you got it at great price too.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrangeBox View Post
Don't believe ... Show me.

JK - I've always wondered about these premium Yamaha. Never tried. I must believe they are more accessible in other parts of the world.
I didn't believe it either...
Old 01-27-2021, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

With a Goodall as the bar it is set pretty high. A euro spruce/ziricote Goodall CJ was my favoured guitar for years. It was knocked off the number one spot (for me at least) by my first Baranik.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:49 AM

Goodalls are among the finest instruments made. That they’re not, isn’t even a serious discussion among those who revere excellence in their guitars.

Not sure why one needs to throw out comparisons when the question was about Goodalls and Goodall lovers.

I’ve owned a few and one was “better” than all the others. Anyone other than me would probably have disagreed and liked one of the others more.

Such is the state of picking the “better” guitar. They were all superb.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-27-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Goodalls are among the finest instruments made. That they’re not, isn’t even a serious discussion among those who revere excellence in their guitars.

Not sure why one needs to throw out comparisons when the question was about Goodalls and Goodall lovers.

I’ve owned a few and one was “better” than all the others. Anyone other than me would probably have disagreed and liked one of the others more.

Such is the state of picking the “better” guitar. They were all superb.
Because people read and responded to the OP's actual question:
"I want to try another brand that might give me a similar sensation! For serious Goodall fans, could I get your recommendation of another brand that you similarly love and why? =)"
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 01-27-2021, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Wink Not courting controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
"I want to try another brand that might give me a similar sensation! For serious Goodall fans, could I get your recommendation of another brand that you similarly love and why? =)"
Friends, I am not trying to incite acrimony. Thanks for all the input so far. You've given me a few cool examples of Luthiers to aspire to! Next, I will need to get the $$ and find any available guitars to acquire. Simple!
Old 01-27-2021, 12:52 PM
Guest31923

Petros is also extremely impressive! There are a couple reasonable ones on Reverb.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
You know, I should have been a better reader, You’re absolutely correct. My bad.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-27-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
You know, I should have been a better reader, You’re absolutely correct. My bad.
All good. It was kind of a buried lead!
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion