The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-07-2016, 05:56 AM

Default Di Giorgio Value?

I have a 1974 Di Giorgio Classical Guitar which I've owned for around 30 years.

I've just managed to buy 1988 George Lowden Guitar (Made in Ireland) so I find that I'm not really playing the Di Giorgio so much.

Does anyone have any idea what the Di Giorgio would be worth??

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

David
Old 05-07-2016, 09:18 AM

Hello David,

I've never heard of this maker before but a quick look on the net says they are Brazilian in origin and their quality varies a lot from poor to not very good. So from that I would guess that your guitar is not worth thousands (of dollars or pounds). But as their quality is renowned for being inconsistent, you may have a good one in which case it would be for you and the buyer to decide its value.

I'm sorry I can't be a little more encouraging.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:10 PM

Di Giorgio

Romeo Di Giorgio was an Italian immigrant to Brazil where in 1908, he opened his guitar shop. During that time he built guitars to Augustin Barrios Mangore(Paraguayan great composer and player) and a young Heitor Villa-Lobos(although,Villa-Lobos's companionship was a french made guitar which resides at the Villa-Lobos museum in Rio de Janeiro today).

Later in the late 50's and during the 60's, under the command of Reinaldo Di Giorgio, the company equipped the bossa nova movement with the best guitars at that time.
Baden Powell played a 1959 Di Giorgio Autor 3 for 15 years. Joao Gilberto and Tom Jobim also played the Autor 3. Later, Joao Gilberto made famous the model Tarrrega by playing a 1970 one(contrary of what you read in the net, there's no 1965 Tarrega !).
The Brazilian music greats other than Powell, Jobim, and Gilberto who played a Di Giorgio Guitar could fill a full page: Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Nara Leao, Geraldo Vandre, and many others.

Kronbauer TDK MJ
Taylor GC6
Taylor NS62ce
Gibson J-45 Rosewood Modern Classic
DiGiorgio Classic 28-1975
Digiorgio Guarany C2-1979
Washburn R 314K
Fender Telecaster '73
Feneder Stratocaster
Tacoma Thunder Chief Acoustic Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Daddy Mojo C5 Cigar Box
Kamoa Custom Shop 700 T Uke
Kamoa FM-T Uke
Martin Style 0 1944 Uke
Kala Acacia Tenor Uke
Washburn Banjolele
Old 09-24-2016, 07:30 PM

Default Not so much...

Hi there! I'm Brazilian and I'd be glad to help you concerning Di Giorgio's guitars.

First of all, being from the 70s it would already be of a good value, as di Giorgios were said to be better build than they are now. Secondly, their catalog varies from entry level guitars to high end ones, so it's impossible to know how much your guitar is worth without knowing the series/model. They even have kids guitars (called piccolo).

Being realistic, a quick search in a Brazilian online market (mercado livre, the most used here) would tell you that such kind of guitar would be sold for around 900 reais, which are a little less then 300 dollars.

Here's a link for comparison, this Di Giorgio is from 1978:

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/M...o-ano-1978-_JM

All in all, as mentioned before by one of the colleagues here at the forum, you can still try to sell it but beware that you won't make thousands of dollars from it.

Di Giorgio is a fairly common/regular brand here in Brazil, so no, it isn't an exotic or specially made guitar. I myself have one, model 18, the so called "estudante" or student.

What I do like about them is that they're made here in Brazil, in opposite to the 90% of other guitars here which are made in China.

My current guitar is a Rozini, hybrid steel/nylon (not at the same time of course, I mean it's designed for both kinds of string, a "crossover" if you like). These are much better than the Di Giorgio ones, at least nowadays.

As you can see, Brazilian manufacturers come from Italian immigrant families, being the big names Giannini, di giorgio and rozini.

Hope it can help you.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:45 PM

Default On the other hand

... on the other hand, I've just digged a little more and found a Di Giorgio from the 60s being sold at 1700 reais, which would be around 500-600 dollars.

So, again, it's indispensable to know the model before setting a price tag to it.

Could you show a picture of the label inside the guitar or, if not, mention what it says inside?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical