The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-14-2023, 09:31 AM

Question Truss rod direction question

Hello, I have a Yamaha "Silent" guitar which I bought new about a year ago. Its G string has started buzzing, especially between the 5th and 12th frets. The truss rod can be accessed through the headstock. Which direction should I turn it and how far?

Picture of it L I N K

ThAnKs!
Old 03-14-2023, 09:41 AM

A little can do a lot. Quarter turn anti clockwise will loosen the neck slightly.

Last edited by NotveryGood; 03-14-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Not really enough information to answer the question. Having either too much relief or too little can both cause buzzing for different reasons.

You should really check the relief first. Hold down the low E string at the first fret and where the neck meets the "body" and check the clearance at the 7th fret. If the fret is touching the string or closer than about the thickness of a business card (most folks want it at about .01" a bit more or less depending on playing style) then you need to loosen it. If it's much more than that then you need to tighten it.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-14-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Not really enough information to answer the question. Having either too much relief or too little can both cause buzzing for different reasons.

You should really check the relief first. Hold down the low E string at the first fret and where the neck meets the "body" and check the clearance at the 7th fret. If the fret is touching the string or closer than about the thickness of a business card (most folks want it at about .01" a bit more or less depending on playing style) then you need to loosen it. If it's much more than that then you need to tighten it.
Good info, to add to that make sure you are monitoring the humidity 40% to 50% is the range in which you keep you instrument. Make sure you know the RH before you tweak your truss rod.

If you are interested, I find this to be one of the most accurate Hygrometer

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thermpro&...tw=g&hvqmt=e&h
Old 03-14-2023, 02:23 PM

It's not always just a truss rod tweak unless you can "See" if there's a forward or back bow.

Have you verified that you can see a problem with the neck relief?

if there is a "back" bow, you want to "add" relief, Loosen the trus rod by 1/4 to 1/2 turn (lefty loosey)

If there seems to be too much of a bow in the middle of the neck "Remove" releife by tightening the truss by the same, 1/4 to 1/2 a turn.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-14-2023, 05:03 PM

Buzzing past the fifth fret is usually an indication of too much relief. That would imply that the rod needs to be tightened.
However, that will lower the action overall, which will require raising the saddle.
The fact that one string is buzzing indicates either a bad string, or the need to reshape the replacement saddle such that action is raised on that one string.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:10 PM

I am not familiar with the truss rod for the Yamaha Silent guitar but if it is like most, an initial adjustment of 1/4 to 1/2 a turn is alot. I would recommend starting with 1/8 turn, then rechecking the relief and making additional small adjustments as needed. It's a pain but you are less likely to break a truss rod or damage the neck.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:23 PM

Thanks for all your responses.

Before adjusting the truss rod, I replaced the strings. The buzzing magically disappeared. I realized I hadn't changed the strings (D'Addario silk & steel) since May 2022.

I'm still glad I started this thread. I learned a lot, especially from Warfrat73's post about checking neck relief.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair