The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-11-2023, 04:43 PM

Default What glue for crack?

After using humidification to get a long spruce top crack to close, what particular glue do you most recommend to be used to force it down into the crack?
Old 03-11-2023, 04:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

You may get many, many different views on this. In my opinion, epoxy. You're never planning to disassemble or modify this joint. Be sure though that the movement has stopped and the gap is as closed as it's going to get. Cyanoacrylate might also be fine; I've never used it in this way myself.
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 03-11-2023, 10:47 PM

It depends. If it’s a 1936 Martin OM being repaired for someone else, about the only choice is HHG, however, on a personal ax, I think whatever glue you are comfortable working with is fine. HHG or yellow glues blend in better, have a longer working time and are easier to clean up. CA glue will darken raw spruce and the working time is short. I don’t think I will ever use CA glue for crack repair, but have used slow set epoxies for backs and side cracks. The longer working time allows getting the glue into the joint, fiddling the alignment of the edges and if needed, stablizing /clamping the repair. Ditto for the HHG and yellow glue.

Getting the glue into the crack; with yellow or HHG, I’ll dilute it a bit so it can wick in and apply it with a brush. If possible, I’ll very carefully move the edges of the crack up and down a bit to work the glue into the joint. I may also put a cleat in if there’s room for it. Check out online tutorials and resources as there are some out there.
Old 03-12-2023, 11:18 AM

HHG or Titebond Original. If you are going to DIY it then use Titebond.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair