The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2023, 12:15 AM

Talking Gs mini 12’s vs 13’s gauge strings

I’m writing this because I feel a lot of people haven’t talked about this and theres a lot of mixed opinions and even false information.

Recently, I got a GS mini Koa plus and I’ve had an interesting journey with it. I bought it new at a guitar shop and loved how it sounded and played. I needed something to travel with and some thing that had a good case, and this guitar really stuck out to me even though I’m a Martin Guy.

The guitar came with 13s and I had two different setups on it and overall I just couldn’t vibe with the tension on the first two frets when it came to Barchords, I decided to change strings and try different brands and overall came to this conclusion.

I found that 12s not only play the best on this guitar, but sound much more crisp. I don’t feel they lose volume. I kind of hear almost as though it gains some.

The best way I can describe using 13 gauge strings is the bass is a little more boomy and the guitar has a bit more girth and warmth, not necessarily just volume. One of the things that stood out for the GS mini compared to a Taylor GT was the warmth and tone. I really feel like my ear hears a different kind of sound rather than the “Taylor sound” the GS mini just sounds a lot more warm but not necessarily better with 13s

There’s also a lot of false information and people trying to scare people into sticking with 13s just because Taylor ships with it and recommends it lol truth is switching to a lower gauge will actually help your guitar long-term with the bridge as long as there’s tension you’re OK

Although I wouldn’t really use anything under 11 or the volume And tone will really suffer. I would say the lighter, the gauge, the more tiny and thin it will sound. Although going from 13s to 12 sounds a bit better to my ears.

I am using elixir nano web, phosphor bronze gauge 12 and honestly I can say the tone and volume is more than great. It sounds a little more “Taylor” to me. Very crispy very loud and a lot of clarity but genuinely if you’re having issues with 13s I say make the switch down a gauge

What are your guys thoughts? And what do you use?
Old 02-25-2023, 02:33 AM

String choice on the GS mini has been discussed a lot but it's always good to share ones findings. Glad you are enjoying your koa, they are beautiful

I have a spruce/walnut that I found a bit bright when new, although I really liked the over all tone. The stock strings are suppose to be Elixir Nanoweb PB HD light 13-53, mine came with 12s. I have tried about 10 different sets chasing the tone I was after. Everything from full mediums 13-56 to Silk and steel 12-47. Tone is a very personal thing, so is playability. I liked the sound of DR Rare lights - 12-54, John Pearse new mediums NM 710 - 13-55 and their light -12-53 both PB. I have had Martin Retro Monels lights - 12-54 on for about 4 months now and really like those.

I have had this guitar about three years, played it a lot and it has opened up and mellowed out. Next up will be Elixir HD 13-53, what they were suppose to come with but didn't.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I bought my mahogany GS Mini five years ago new online from a guitar shop in Alabama. When it arrived there was a spare set of Elixir PB lights with it and a note taped to it that said some people liked the lights better than the mediums that came on it and to give them a try and see which I liked better. Even though it was new, the strings looked like it had been hanging on the wall a while and had been fondled by every Tom, Dick, and Jane who came in. So I switched to the lights after a week or so. I like them fine.

There is a lot of conflicting opinions on the internet, so you can't really use them to decide something like strings. So just forget what other people say. Strings are so easily changed out, you can't go wrong trying a set to just to see for yourself and put it to rest whether they are for you or not.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-25-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Strings are so easily changed out, you can't go wrong trying a set to just to see for yourself and put it to rest whether they are for you or not.

^ This. I'm usually inclined to go with the gauge that the manufacturer suggests (if they do), but there's nothing wrong with diverging for the sake of experimentation.

I tried .012s on my GS Mini mahogany and thought they were too floppy for the short-scale neck. Others find the lower tension more comfortable, but I prefer the more stable-feeling .013s on that guitar.
Old 02-25-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiahdlr View Post
...Recently, I got a GS Mini Koa plus and I’ve had an interesting journey with it...

The guitar came with 13s and I had two different setups on it and overall I just couldn’t vibe with the tension on the first two frets when it came to barre chords, I decided to change strings and try different brands and overall came to this conclusion...

The best way I can describe using 13 gauge strings is the bass is a little more boomy and the guitar has a bit more girth and warmth, not necessarily just volume. One of the things that stood out for the GS mini compared to a Taylor GT was the warmth and tone...

I am using Elixir Nanoweb phosphor bronze gauge 12's...
If you've already had the nut slots filed as part of your setups (and every good pro setup should include this when necessary - don't count on the factory job), try a set of Martin Retro Monel MM13's - slinkier, easier feel than the Elixirs (which you wouldn't expect from a non-coated string), and they'll bring out the girth and warmth (as well as volume) in any hardwood-top guitar...
Old 02-25-2023, 01:43 PM

I'm using Martin Retros (13s) on my spruce/EIR mini. They sound good to me and seem to last forever. I think they've been on there for about 6 months

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 02-25-2023, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Well, the bottom line is: you like what you like! Nothing wrong with using 12's on a GS Mini.

That guitar has a 23 1/2" scale length, compared to a "standard" scale length of 25 1/2". The shorter scale will have the strings "feel" about an entire point lighter, so a set of 12's is going to feel and play more like a set of 11's.

There is not any "more" wear and tear on the guitar if you use 11's or 12's or 13's. Believe me, if Taylor felt like 13's would harm that guitar, they wouldn't ship them with 13's!

In the final analysis, having what YOU prefer is just fine...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-25-2023, 03:01 PM

I use elixir PB 13’s on my hog mini, and it sounds and plays great with them. My sons mini hog needed new strings and all I had around were 12’s, so I put them on and guess what? It sounds and plays great…
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
elixir, gs mini, gs mini koa, taylor