The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2023, 08:11 PM

Default Alvarez vs Eastman thoughts/insights

Hello, new member and first post.
I have had an Ibanez Performance spruce top dreadnaught since my early teens (am now in my mid 30Â’s) and have played guitar and some piano/keyboard on and off during that time. That Ibanez really is a great guitar except with one really bad fret buzz spot. I have recently though been in the market for something different and donÂ’t have a ton of experience with various brands, shapes, woodsÂ…
I have been doing a lot of research and have seen the most recommended thing is to try many different guitars in person. I live in the middle of Wyoming though and the closest places that would have a large selection are about five hours away, so I am considering just kind of doing a leap of faith order and seeing if I like the guitar.
I want to mostly fingerpick and some lighter strumming and like to play Jack Johnson, a lot of just guitar instrumental, experiment with a little bit of Jazz and possibly dabble in a little classical.
I know I wanted Cedar top, and was kind of disappointed in the lack of options, I thought it would be a more common top. I started looking at Grand Auditorium size, and decided I might like something a little smaller.
If they made an Alvarez size OM with Cedar top in the Masterworks series (made in Japan IÂ’m sure I would have ordered that. Found the Takamine P1, but for almost $1400 was kind of surprised that only top and bottom were solid and sides were laminated.
I think I have settled between the Alvarez Artist Elite 95 Folk (AFA95CESHB) acoustic electric (only available as a cut away), and the Eastman E2OM.

Similar/same:
Both are made in China
From my research both seem to have similar fit and finish (quality)
Both are considered OM Orchestra size (but I think they are actually considered 000 due to shorter scale length)
Scale length Alvarez: 24-13/16”
Scale length Eastman: 24.9”
Both have Cedar soundboard
Soundboard Alvarez: solid AA Western Red Cedar
Soundboard Eastman: solid Cedar
Same nut: bone width 1-3/4”
Saddle: bone

Differences
Cutout: Alvarez is a cut away, which I think might be nice to have that option, Eastman is not cut away, which is fine too. I donÂ’t know if my ear would hear the difference.
Electronics: Alvarez has LR Baggs Stage eq with Element pickup, Eastman has no electronics. Again, it would be cool to have the plug in option, but not a huge deal to me.
Back and sides: Alvarez has laminated Acacia (Koa relative) back and sides. Eastman has Solid Sapele back and sides. I would have looked at buying an all solid Koa guitar, but for the price I could buy a gaggle of other guitars. I think it is really cool the Eastman has solid back and sides as that seems really rare at this price point. Again, not sure how important solid vs laminate back and sides is to tone, change of tone over timeÂ…
Neck: Eastman is Mahogany, IÂ’m assuming satin (which is important to me) because the rest of the guitar is satin, and they call it a Traditional Even C shape. The Alvarez is mahogany, they call it 50/50 gloss, and a soft V to C shape. I have heard good things about Alvarez necks, not sure if they are all the same, just donÂ’t want a glossing neck, I find them sticky.
Fingerboard: Eastman has Ebony, which I find intriguing on an acoustic. Alvarez has Indian Laurel, not sure how it compared to Indian Rosewood. I imagine either would be fine for me.
Bracing: this is where I am really out of my element and it seems very subjective and wood based. Alvarez used ther forward shifted FS6 system. Eastman states hand scalloped X.
Neck radius: Alvarez is 14.96” and Eastman is 12”. Not sure what my current acoustic is, I had an electric with 9.5” and it seemed fine. These should be a little flatter if I remember radius correctly. I don’t think I’m a good enough player to really notice and have a huge preference.
Finish: Alvarez top/back/sides is gloss. I was hoping for satin as I tend to like the feel and look better, but maybe the gloss finish protects the wood better??? The Eastman is all satin.
Bridge: Alvarez is Indian Laurel, and they claim to have a special design that makes more string tension or something like that. Eastman is Ebony.

Just wondering people experience, impressions, preferences things like that. I am just after the best tone I can get around this price range. Something warm and clear and woody, you know those words guitar guys throw around. I sometimes feel like my spruce top is just yelling bass at me, hoping for something that sounds more balanced.
Eastman is very unknown to me and doesnÂ’t seem to be super prevalent in the market which worries me a bit, but I like unique things as well.
I am mostly wondering if an AA Western Red Cedar top is going to be noticeable vs a “cedar top”, if laminate Acacia is going to be different to any other laminate wood, if solid Sapele back and sides is going to have a much different tone than laminate and if it “plays in”, if the cut away is going to sound different from the non-cut away, ETC…
One other factor is I found the Eastman on sale, from $725 to $525, maybe it is an outgoing modelÂ…?
Any input anyone has would be incredibly helpful and appreciated, thank you.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:21 PM

I own 2 Eastmans, I've played more than a few recent Alvarezes in stores.

I'd go Eastman. There really is something special in their construction and tone. The Alvarezes I've played in the OM cutaway style have been less than inspiring tonally - they sound like guitars, but I find no magic there. I've long been a big fan of the Alvarez Yairis, but the regular laminated back/sides line has left me feeling meh. Haven't tried a Masterworks.
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 02-17-2023, 08:44 PM

Eastman make very good guitars, but if you like the Alverez I wouldn't let the laminate sides put you off. Many very high end guitar makers use laminated sides because they are stiffer.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:02 PM

No disrespect to Alvarez. But they're possibly made in a factory where dozens of generic import brands are made as well,
Eastmans are handcrafted in their own factory by luthiers. Worlds apart in fit, finish and woods used in construction.
Eastman owner here so probably biased. But most other import guitars I've tried in shops always sound exactly the same to my ears.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:22 PM

Welcome to the forum. I don’t own either, but I’ve played both. Enjoyed the Eastman quite a bit more.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:02 PM

Not to be redundant but...

The Eastman. My friend owns that and I play it regularly. I play Martins everyday and my ears are 'tuned' good and that is just a really amazing guitar..even if it cost more!

Most Alvarez's I have played feel overbuilt. A lot of the Import stuff is intentionally over built so none of them come back w/warranty issues...that overbuilding really inhibits the tone from 'jumping' from your fingers. Eastmans are NOT overbuilt.

I am in Nashville. I go to LOTS of acoustic rounds. I have never understood why anyone would want a cut away. I am a fairly accomplished/dynamic acoustic player and I have never needed it....and most of the people who have it don't either..(they rarely play past the 5th fret)

Was at a round last night...the cutaways always sound boxy. Always..even the 3k Taylors.

I have never understood how removing part of a balanced instrument is an advantage. The only one I have ever seen that might be tonally functional is the Bourgeois mild cutaway...but those are 5k+

..anyways. EASTMAN
Old 02-17-2023, 11:14 PM

Interesting that the consensus is so strong towards Eastman. I do feel myself much more drawn to them.
And interesting what baseball said about cut outs.
Funny enough I was watching lots of videos on the OM, through phone speakers though, and it seemed in all the videos I found they seemed to sound kind of tinny, shrill, metallic is maybe the way to describe it. I got curious and watched some videos of their Grand Auditoriums and I didn’t notice it then. Do OM and 000 sound quite different, or was it maybe just video quality? I’ll have to compare some more with good headphones.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:06 AM

Well I took the plunge and ordered the only new on sale OM I could find shipping out of Florida to Wyoming. I asked that they set the action as close to Eastman specs as possible, and that it was ok to raise the action from that spec if needed to eliminate any fret buzz, and that it was fine to ship later if needed to do the setup. No one around my parts I know that can set up an acoustic.
Any advice on acclimation or anything like that when it arrives? It’s like minus 7 F here right now.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west5786 View Post
Well I took the plunge and ordered the only new on sale OM I could find shipping out of Florida to Wyoming. I asked that they set the action as close to Eastman specs as possible, and that it was ok to raise the action from that spec if needed to eliminate any fret buzz, and that it was fine to ship later if needed to do the setup. No one around my parts I know that can set up an acoustic.
Any advice on acclimation or anything like that when it arrives? It’s like minus 7 F here right now.
Congrats on ordering the Eastman! I think you'll love it.

Definitely leave it in the box for 24 hours before opening, the temp and humidity difference from Florida is going to be large and you want to be gentle.

I once received a beautiful McInturff electric at my office when it was a rare below zero day in Cincinnati...I opened it immediately and had a second to admire it before I heard the loud crack of the finish shattering. Instant relic, and it was highly upsetting.

The Eastman finish shouldn't shatter, but the top and neck will need some time to settle. You'll still potentially need to tweak the truss rod once they do, given the big difference in climates.
1987 Peavey Patriot bass

Last edited by Aahzz; 02-18-2023 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

post deleted.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:33 AM

I've owned in the past an Eastman E20D ( HD28 clone) and currently own Alvarez MD60BG ... I know one is rosewood bs and the other mahogany bs . Anyhow I feel the Eastman are prettier and are more traditional or a clone . The Alvarez has it's own vibe to it . I'm gonna lose the pickguard on the MD60BG and make my own Guild/Taylor hybrid shape for it soon . Both of these guitars sounded great and I'd expect the OM and GA versions to be on par with both brands too .
Old 02-18-2023, 08:33 AM

I own an entry level acoustic of each company, say Alvarez AP66ESB
(all-Mahogany parlor) and an Eastman AC122ce : I love both.
I never tried any upper grade instrument from those builders.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Interesting that the consensus is so strong towards Eastman. I do feel myself much more drawn to them.
And interesting what baseball said about cut outs.
Funny enough I was watching lots of videos on the OM, through phone speakers though, and it seemed in all the videos I found they seemed to sound kind of tinny, shrill, metallic is maybe the way to describe it. I got curious and watched some videos of their Grand Auditoriums and I didn’t notice it then. Do OM and 000 sound quite different, or was it maybe just video quality? I’ll have to compare some more with good headphones.
Quote:
you made the right choice. the laminated Alvarez's have played sounded buckety. They played well but tonally they left a lot to be desired. Eastman makes a very nice guitar
Old 02-18-2023, 10:03 AM

Last week I received an Eastman E-10D. I wanted to explore the sound of an Adirondack top instrument. Eastman is one of the few companies to offer instruments with these tops at an affordable price. The instrument is a revelation to me. It responds to the slightest finger attack and also has what it takes when played aggressively. I like how Eastman which uses a tone right neck connection on some of their models has decided to keep making dovetail neck connections on their more traditional instruments. I've owned Eastman's in the past and have not been disappointed with any of them.
Old 02-18-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexnman View Post
I've owned in the past an Eastman E20D ( HD28 clone) and currently own Alvarez MD60BG ... I know one is rosewood bs and the other mahogany bs . Anyhow I feel the Eastman are prettier and are more traditional or a clone . The Alvarez has it's own vibe to it . I'm gonna lose the pickguard on the MD60BG and make my own Guild/Taylor hybrid shape for it soon . Both of these guitars sounded great and I'd expect the OM and GA versions to be on par with both brands too .
Yup. My two cents from very limited experience: I own an Eastman E8D and tried for a short time two different MD60BGs. I loved the Alvarezes sound but decided to stick with one dread, rosewood, and avoid unnecessary spousal wrath. I also love the sound of my E8D.

But while the Alvarez fit and finish is pretty darn good, Eastman's is impeccable. No contest there. And above someone mentioned overbuilt, not my experience with the Masterworks anyway. They were both lighter than my Eastman.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alvarez, choose, eastman, orchestra, wood