The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2022, 03:58 AM

Default Taylor, Furch, McIlroy comparison (and possibly Martin and Larrivee)

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm looking to upgrade and get a nice guitar. I am looking for something versatile that would respond well to flat picking, finger picking and strumming and to be played in both standard and DADGAD (so detuning etc). In an ideal world, if I had the budget, I would go for a Lowden, but since I can't afford €4k upwards but I'd like to get something decent (in the €2.5/3k range), I was thinking of a grand auditoriums style, like a Taylor 414ce, Furch Yellow (deluxe possibly), or, if I can stretch a bit the budget, a McIlroy AC30/36. Then there is the good reliable Martin D-18, which is a different beast but, from what I hear (reviews, videos etc) has that classic Martin sound - though I'd prefer a GA with cutaway.

I was thinking of a spruce/rosewood combo as it seems to be the best of both worlds, dry snappy sound from the spruce (mids and trebles) and darker (basses) from the rosewood which would seem to make it more versatile (happy to be corrected - guitar is not my main instrument, I usually blow into things). I am waiting to head to a guitar shop with a good selection, although I doubt I'll find a shop that has all these guitar to try side by side in Ireland. I might need to go to Germany in a few weeks, in that case I might be able to head to Thomann and compare at least Taylor, Furch and Martin (perhaps even a Larrivee).

While I am waiting to do so, I'd appreciate your input if you could share your experience. From what I have been reading here, I haven't found a negative opinion about Furch, controversy about Martin and Taylor (especially the x/v bracing divide), and the McIlroy is often compared to the Lowden.

I hope the comparison stands and looking forward to your opinions.

Peace
Old 05-17-2022, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

The D18 is Spruce on Mahogany, just to point that out.

In light of how describe your preferences in terms of tone a 28 series Martin would be worth trying. They make a great 000 guitar.

OM-28 has a full (25.5 inch) scale and 000-28 is 24.9. Some prefer the full scale especially in lowered tunings. I like the 000 for fingerstyle as I enjoy the reduced string tension amd shorter reaches for playability and it sounds just great in DADGAD. No cutaway though, but my 000-28 is perhaps my most versatile guitar.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:42 AM

Since you mentioned Larrivee, one of their LV or OMV models would be worth a look if you come across one.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

If your first choice would be a Lowden then a McIlroy would be closest of those you mention. You might also consider an Avalon.

I agree a Spruce / Rosewood combo would be versatile, but I would not describe my McIlroy A30 as providing “dry snappy sound from the spruce (mids and trebles) and darker (basses)”, far from it...

Good luck with your search.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 05-17-2022, 06:04 AM

Larrivee L-09, check it out if opportunity presents.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:13 AM

I would suggest a 000 size for your requirements. Your wood selection sounds like a perfect choice, but I would not hesitate to try other woods if the opportunity presents itself. Being in Ireland I would think and excellent choice would be a used McIlroy. I have not played one, but only hear good things.

It's difficult to hide damage on an acoustic guitar. I always purchase used if I can find what I'm looking for, and the great advantage of a used instrument is that if you decide to go in a different direction you can get most of your money back.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-17-2022, 06:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

I just bought this Furch on the forum, and it blew me away with the tone, and the volume I was getting out of it acoustically. The pickup was removed so I am installing an LR Baggs Anthem so I can play plugged in.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ighlight=Furch
Old 05-17-2022, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Don't overlook Avalon Guitars made in Ireland.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

I mentioned this in another thread—I was really impressed by the number of guitar shops in Paris, many of which are clustered on a couple of streets in the 9th arrondissement. If you can add a detour on your trip, it might be worth it.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:52 AM

I cannot talk about all the guitars you mention, but I can share some of my trials.
I generally prefer Mahogany over Rosewood.

First, it is generally said that Taylors have more mid presence while Martins
have bass predominance.

Well, my Taylor 322, Mahogany/Tasmanian Blackwood with ernie ball Al/Br strings
sounds quite like my 2014 Martin OOO-18 with its Martin MSP4100 strings set.

I used to have a 2007 Taylor GS-5 that sounded as bassy as a Gibson J-100 (nearby the SJ-200).

I also owned some Larrivees and I found them to sound nearby Taylors.
But I have to say I never touched a rarer 05 series example...
My OM-09 Spruce/Rosewood, had too much overtones for me.

I now also own a Taylor 412ce Sitka/Ovangkol : nice !
That said, I have to say I am myself lurking toward some Taylor 414 for more bass...

Maybe you could be interested in some Segull Performer from Godin.

There is another consideration : long term.
Neck reset is easy to do on a Taylor's bolted neck.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:54 AM

Hi there,
There are a couple of excellent guitar shops in Ireland. Depending on where you live, I would recommend Someneck guitars in Dublin, or Moloney music in Galway. There's another good one in wexford but I can't remember the name and there's one in Blackrock, Co Louth, so you're spoiled for choice really.
You will also find a good range of second hand guitars on adverts.ie where you should be able to pick up a used Lowden or McIlroy for under three grand.
If you are going to Germany, you could try and fit in a visit to TFOA in the Netherlands but very close to the German border. PM me if you need any further information.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:12 PM

Cavez, Welcome to the AGF! Even though this is your first post you're a senior member because you've been here for 13 years. That might be a record

I've never played a Furch before but I own a Lowden, Martin, and a couple of Taylors. They all sound very different. When it comes to flatpicking, I prefer the Martin (or Taylor) over the Lowden (the Lowden is too lush). Fingerpicking I prefer the Lowden. All around guitar is probably my Taylor GA.

I wouldn't get caught up in the bracing discussions - focus more on if you like the manufacturer's signature tone and go with that.

Let us know what you come up with. I think the trip to German/Thomann would be a great way to play a lot of guitars.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
The D18 is Spruce on Mahogany, just to point that out..
You are right. Thanks for pointing it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
In light of how describe your preferences in terms of tone a 28 series Martin would be worth trying.

They make a great 000 guitarOM-28 has a full (25.5 inch) scale and 000-28 is 24.9. Some prefer the full scale especially in lowered tunings. I like the 000 for fingerstyle as I enjoy the reduced string tension amd shorter reaches for playability and it sounds just great in DADGAD. No cutaway though, but my 000-28 is perhaps my most versatile guitar.
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep them in mind and I'll try to see if I can try them too.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn402 View Post
Since you mentioned Larrivee, one of their LV or OMV models would be worth a look if you come across one.
Thanks. Yes, they sound great from what I heard online (always difficult to judge though)
Old 05-17-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
If your first choice would be a Lowden then a McIlroy would be closest of those you mention. You might also consider an Avalon.
Yes! I'll have a look for them. I heard great things and also that Furch made some guitars from them for a spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
I agree a Spruce / Rosewood combo would be versatile, but I would not describe my McIlroy A30 as providing “dry snappy sound from the spruce (mids and trebles) and darker (basses)”, far from it...

Good luck with your search.
Cool, perhaps I'm off re sound description of this wood combo. How would you describe it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
comparison, furch, mcilroy, taylor