The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383roller View Post
That’s actually one guitar I still want that isn’t traditional tone woods, very pleasing to me all around! I don’t think You’ll go wrong. The chase can be the best part.
Looks like I'll just have to sit back and relax awhile to find a J-15 at a decent price with good frets that hasn't been beat (if I decide on one). I have all the time in the world Thanks.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:37 PM

Stephanie, you may want to consider a Guild JF-30. A Jumbo with maple back and sides-spruce top. Listen to a few on YouTube - it may just be what you're looking for. Good luck with your search.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 05-13-2022, 04:51 PM

If you are on Facebook, find Maurys Music and like their page. They regularly have quality guitar demos, where you can easily learn a lot with very little effort. They are reputable, and well respected by this group.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 05-13-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeoftx View Post
I'd agree with most posters. In the sub-$1000 category for bright and shimmery you can get a Taylor 310 all day and probably a 410 or 510 if you are patient. I will throw a slight curveball, Breedlove has been mentioned but I recently acquired a Breedlove Oregon Dreadnought with Spruce top and Myrtelwood back and sides and it is a delight to play fingerstyle. I cycled through a bunch of smaller bodied guitars trying to find a finger picker and just realized I like dreadnoughts too much.

Breedlove doesn't make a USA built dreadnought now but their Concerto body style is similar in volume and projection. I'm very intrigued by that. The myrtlewood is pretty unique but I love it for both finger style and strumming.
Thanks for the good recommendations.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie_Says View Post
I'm 48 now and have played the electric guitar almost all my life (at some points more so than others). I can't explain it but when I pick up an acoustic guitar now, it's all there. I've fallen in love. I don't know much about them.

I play a lot with just my hands on a Dreadnought (I want to start using fingerpicks), and the sound of mahogany is a bit dull to me the way I play. I'd like a very (I know it's subjective) bright, open, shimmering and loud dreadnought that's solid wood with a neck that resembles a C and has some meat on it.

I'm looking at The Alvarez MD70BG, Spruce Top, Rosewood Back and Sides, Mahogany Neck, you all probably already know. The MD60BG seems very good too, but I'm afraid my playing style will push those beautiful mids farther than I would like and sound a bit "dull" again. I'd like a more "crisp" sound.

I live in an extremely rural part of The USA and I have to drive more than 2 1/2 hours each way to find a decent guitar shop. Ordering online would be MORE than convenient.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions and maybe even some suggestions? My budget is $1000.
Longtime TGP member, and glad you're here. Thanks.
Stephanie, hi, and welcome to the Forum. My name is Scott Memmer, and we've been a proud sponsor on AGF for more than five years.

I don't have time to answer your question, but I just wanted to welcome you to the best guitar forum on internet.

A lot of great people with all sorts of useful information -- but be careful; we love spending other people's money for them.

scott memmer
Old 05-13-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
If there are guitars three hours away that interest you, my advice is to make the trip.
Yes go there..play a bunch...spend the night get up and play them all again.
There is no substitute for hands on b4 u buy.
I too think taylor is what you describe. I have a custom shop dred from them that i love.
But dont discount they're smaller body models.
I would try to buy used or save up. A 712ce is a great guitar and used can be had for 1800..
The lutz spruce over rosewood is a great combo imho. Is bright and beautiful.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I too think taylor is what you describe. I have a custom shop dred from them that i love.
I would try to buy used or save up. A 712ce is a great guitar and used can be had for 1800..
I could totally rent a hotel room for the night, not a bad idea, I'd have to rent a car due to mine being a piece of crap. Probably worth the time and effort. But is it going to happen?

Last edited by Stephanie_Says; 05-13-2022 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:03 PM

I'm a big fan of Larrivée guitars.
Someone mentioned earlier about the necks being too flat, *if* it's built before Oct. 2017 it'll have a compound radius neck 16-21", after that date they're all a common 16" radius along the whole neck
Quality solid woods, consistent build quality.
Their L body is something you should try given the chance.
Enjoy your guitar chase and keep an open mind, you might surprise yourself.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
I'm a big fan of Larrivée guitars.
Someone mentioned earlier about the necks being too flat, *if* it's built before Oct. 2017 it'll have a compound radius neck 16-21", after that date they're all a common 16" radius along the whole neck
Quality solid woods, consistent build quality.
Their L body is something you should try given the chance.
Enjoy your guitar chase and keep an open mind, you might surprise yourself.
Yeah. I think an open mind is important too. I even looked at carbon fiber guitars.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Stephanie, hi, and welcome to the Forum. My name is Scott Memmer, and we've been a proud sponsor on AGF for more than five years.

I don't have time to answer your question, but I just wanted to welcome you to the best guitar forum on internet.

A lot of great people with all sorts of useful information -- but be careful; we love spending other people's money for them.

scott memmer
Thanks Scott.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Came here to say this same thing about the slightly smaller bodied Taylors. The GC sized (that's anything x12) is still 15" at the lower bout, and their GA (x14) and GP (x17)sizes are 16" at the lower bout.

However, the GC size specifically will feel easier for fingerstyle as it does't take as much energy to move the top. Sound will feel like it falls out of the guitar much easier than if you play fingerstyle on a dread.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:16 PM

Yes, that sounds like a Taylor. A used 414 in good condition might do the trick. I have one that is great although for me it took some work to reduce the brightness and shimmer. Tastes differ. Very beautiful sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
Bright, open, and shimmering sounds like a Taylor to me. They have a range of dreadnoughts. Try a 310 and move up from there if you so choose
Old 05-15-2022, 05:04 AM

For your first acoustic it’s worth the drive so you can play a bunch of instruments with different builds.

Different builders do far different things with the same wood, neck profiles vary, etc etc etc
Old 05-15-2022, 10:49 AM

Default New guitar

I’m going to go out on a limb here but I’m 67 and have been playing since I was 17. Two years ago I got back into acoustic full-time and even built my own steel string which is a stunner. I have played probably at least one of every major mass-produce guitar, Taylor‘s, Martin‘s, Gibsons, guilds, etc. Frankly, less than $1000 I see only one real choice and that’s FURCH. I’ve ordered four of them online. Two of them are laminate backs the violet in the indigo. It would be hard pressed to find a better made or sounding guitar for 2 to 3 times the price. I recently also bought a blue which is their intro level all solid wood guitar and it almost brings me to tears every time I play it. What a sweet balanced stunning sound. For the money I do not believe you can beat them and I think there are a lot of pros out there who agree, you can check out Alamo music and a few other sources. Since I play a lot of open tunings I bought two Orangewood guitars recently, they’re the intro level Oliver, I saw them on a Darrell Braun website and I was blown away by the sound. The workmanship fit and finish are perfectly fine, I keep waiting for the guitar to explode but it this disproves that trope that you need to spend a lot of money on an all solid wood guitar to get a well made great sounding guitar. And that was 185 bucks, I can’t imagine what their better guitars sound like. Otherwise, you can never go wrong with the right Yamaha. If you absolutely insist on a name, I would go for guild. I personally really like the way Taylor and Martin‘s look but I’ve never played one that I thought was worth half of the money that’s being asked for it and frankly if you’re gonna buy a Mexican Martin, you’re just buying it for the name and I would go for a Asian guild first. Read a little about the furch, it’s a great story, and their guitars walk the walk.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:04 PM

Another Furch recommendation here. Just excellent guitars across the board, the Blue line-up in Grand Auditorium format being a superb value for someone new to acoustics (someone interested in real quality for the price ratio, imho).

https://furchguitars.com/us/instruments/blue-series/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alvarez, md60bg, md70bg, solid wood guitar