The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2022, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

I’m with those who suggest taking the trip to one or more music/guitar stores to try out different gutters. While buying a used guitar is definitely more economical, I think it’s a better route for someone with has already developed a sense of likes/dislikes. Acoustic and electric guitars are all in the “guitar family,” but at the same time they are very different.

In my opinion, there really is no substitute for going to a well-stocked guitar store and trying out a bunch of guitars in one sitting. That way, you can start to develop your own preferences for things like nut width, neck shape, body size and shape, tone, etc. You can’t get those from YouTube videos or from other people’s recommendations online.

The good news is that there are a lot of really good guitars in your price range, so I’m sure you’ll be able to find a guitar that you love.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:11 AM

@Stephanie_Says, hi and welcome to AGF. In addition to the previous suggestions, I'll throw Furch into the mix. They make very good quality guitars, and have the modern sound that you're describing (i.e. the "Taylor sound"). Many of us that have bought Furch guitars have done so online with much success.

Good luck in your search!
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 05-13-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
Bright, open, and shimmering sounds like a Taylor to me. They have a range of dreadnoughts. Try a 310 and move up from there if you so choose
+1.

Welcome to the AGF Stephanie Says (are you Stephanie?). If you order online make sure there's a great return policy in place.

Although you're 3 hours away from some music stores, I would make a day trip out of it and play as many guitars as you can. You never know what might peak your interest.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmars View Post
Those taylor ad27 flametops, look and sound pretty nice to my ear. Pay attention to all the specs, it has 1 3/4" nut width which most people like and especially if you play fingerstyle. It has the long scale, 25.5", so punchy tone and not as easy for smaller hands.

I found a pretty good price for used one in excellent condition at GC and they have a good return policy if it does not work for you. They are easy to work with and would likely restring it and check it out pretty good for you before you commit if you get a sales person who is user friendly and knows guitars.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ta...IaAj1KEALw_wcB
Is this a maple guitar? I think there might be two models of the AD27. Flametop and "Other"?.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Bright, open, and shimmering sounds like a Taylor to me. They have a range of dreadnoughts. Try a 310 and move up from there if you so choose
Agreed. And if you want even brighter, go to the light (in color) woods: Spruce and the like. If your budget allows, you could also look at Koa.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie_Says View Post
Is this a maple guitar? I think there might be two models of the AD27. Flametop and "Other"?.
That’s not maple, it looks like sapele, which is a close cousin of mahogany.

EDIT: After a quick search, the AD27 is indeed sapele.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:00 AM

I'd agree with most posters. In the sub-$1000 category for bright and shimmery you can get a Taylor 310 all day and probably a 410 or 510 if you are patient. I will throw a slight curveball, Breedlove has been mentioned but I recently acquired a Breedlove Oregon Dreadnought with Spruce top and Myrtelwood back and sides and it is a delight to play fingerstyle. I cycled through a bunch of smaller bodied guitars trying to find a finger picker and just realized I like dreadnoughts too much.

Breedlove doesn't make a USA built dreadnought now but their Concerto body style is similar in volume and projection. I'm very intrigued by that. The myrtlewood is pretty unique but I love it for both finger style and strumming.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:08 AM

Try as many as you can of course, if you buy smart you can just keep swapping it to try others and won’t cost a thing but leg work. I suggest a Gibson J15 walnut!
Old 05-13-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
+1 on Taylor for shimmering, open, and bright. That's a good way to start. I would say "no" to a Larrivee for you because of the neck profile. They are shimmering and bright but have flat necks (at least mine does). You might want to try something with Rosewood back and sides.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383roller View Post
Try as many as you can of course, if you buy smart you can just keep swapping it to try others and won’t cost a thing but leg work. I suggest a Gibson J15 walnut!
OMG. Thanks so much for this recommendation (Gibson J15). I know it's youtube, but this guitar sounds VERY good to me. It has loads of character, but still "pops". I wish I could play it in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CYVSTLauYs
Old 05-13-2022, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm 48 now and have played the electric guitar almost all my life (at some points more so than others). I can't explain it but when I pick up an acoustic guitar now, it's all there. I've fallen in love. I don't know much about them.

I play a lot with just my hands on a Dreadnought (I want to start using fingerpicks), and the sound of mahogany is a bit dull to me the way I play. I'd like a very (I know it's subjective) bright, open, shimmering and loud dreadnought that's solid wood with a neck that resembles a C and has some meat on it.

I'm looking at The Alvarez MD70BG, Spruce Top, Rosewood Back and Sides, Mahogany Neck, you all probably already know. The MD60BG seems very good too, but I'm afraid my playing style will push those beautiful mids farther than I would like and sound a bit "dull" again. I'd like a more "crisp" sound.

I live in an extremely rural part of The USA and I have to drive more than 2 1/2 hours each way to find a decent guitar shop. Ordering online would be MORE than convenient.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions and maybe even some suggestions? My budget is $1000.
Longtime TGP member, and glad you're here. Thanks.
If you want shimmer / silver tones, then either rosewood (warmer overtones) or maple (brighter overtones) seem like good directions.

I have a rosewood & mahogany body strat style (solid rosewood is hard to find) and am doing the finish work on an all maple soloist style, their tones are quite different.

I'm going to agree with folks suggesting you travel to gat experience with hands on a wider range. And clarify, you're now borrowing acoustics for comparisons?

Also, don't write off OO, OM bodies. If you don't have to cut through violin & banjo, smaller body guitars can bring beautiful tones.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383roller View Post
This is my plan as I did this for years making ample use of TGP Classifieds and Reverb (Reverb was really good at the time, everything sold same day usually).
Old 05-13-2022, 11:46 AM

Welcome Stephanie!

If you are looking for bright and shimmery...maybe maple as a tonewood for a 6 string?
Here is a video that talks about maple https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izsReThjscw

Maybe a Rosewood 12 string (or any 12 string)
Guild Maple 12 string https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyoxSW1xId4
Guild Rosewood 12 String https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDkYpKN_FLs
Taylor 12 string https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR8NEoDW9sk (not the best quality sound)

Taylor and Breedlove have some good guitars and both have smaller bodies which tend to emphasize the higher frequencies, and some of the Myrtewood guitars that Breedlove (Oregon series) makes have a nice tone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw5puPWOcgg (myrtlewood example)

I would use YouTube (and Sweetwater/Alamo Music/Andertons) as places you can go to try and listen to various guitar types.

I've heard good reviews of Eastman, but I've never played one. (https://youtu.be/hgOC-hSz9pM?t=206)

One other option...have you thought about a carbon fiber acoustic guitar? Some of those sound really nice.
Emerald X30 (jumbo) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuvuS3UIZXk
Emerald X20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drClMYblu_E
2022 Guild F512E - Maple

Last edited by Stonehauler; 05-13-2022 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

$1000 is a problematical budget. In between if you will. If that was my budget, I'd buy a 15 series Martin used, but it comes with a midrange mahogany top.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-13-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
OMG. Thanks so much for this recommendation (Gibson J15). I know it's youtube, but this guitar sounds VERY good to me. It has loads of character, but still "pops". I wish I could play it in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CYVSTLauYs
Quote:
This is my plan as I did this for years making ample use of TGP Classifieds and Reverb (Reverb was really good at the time, everything sold same day usually).
That’s actually one guitar I still want that isn’t traditional tone woods, very pleasing to me all around! I don’t think You’ll go wrong. The chase can be the best part.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alvarez, md60bg, md70bg, solid wood guitar