The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2021, 04:30 AM

Default Grover tuners replacement for Takamine GD20

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-natural-satin This is my guitar and all the specs are listed in the Specs column. It’s made in China, so the tuners are probably also made in China, on Tuning Machines: it just says Chrome Die-cast. But I haven’t had any major tuning issues, and they look nice. I adjusted the screws on top of the tuners, cause some tuning pegs were too stiff to turn comfortably, so I evened out the tension on all of them.

On Stewmac.com I saw $50 Grover Mid-Size Rotomatics with 18:1 gear ratio for fine tuning. No drilling is required, it just pops in and I can use the same screws to avoid problems. I probably will install the Grovers on my Takamine because Jimmy Page installed Grovers on his 59’ Les Pauls and prefers them over Gibson Kluson tuners. It’s just surprising that I like the stock China tuners more than I anticipated.

Update: I actually do need to replace the China tuners. The low E string tuning peg stiffened so hard that I can't turn it accurately at all. Especially when tuning to pitch up...

Last edited by Hamsterean; 12-02-2021 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-29-2021, 05:38 AM

Just to understand, the tuners you have work and you like them. But because Jimmy Page installed Grover tuners on electric guitars, you want to do that on your Takamine?
Old 11-29-2021, 06:22 AM

Hmmmm......

I've replaced tuning machines on quite a few instruments. Except for when I replaced one brand with the same brand of tuning machines, I've yet to encounter "drop-in" replacements. There's usually something that's different between two different brands.

That said, I've installed Grover rotomatics on a few different instruments and like them just fine. I did have to drill the headstock for the larger bushings and plug/redrill new mounting screw holes each time I've used them.

Your Takamine tuning machines in the Sweetwater ad look very similar to Grover's, so you might need less to possibly no modification to fit them. Caution - "close enough" is not a concept to apply to fitting tuning machines.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

I'm a fan of the full sized Milk Bottle tuners from Grover.

Just replaced some mid sized 14:1 machines with 18:1 Milk bottles.

Had to drill for screws. So there are extra holes now.

I never notice the holes.

But I do notice the easier and better tunning stability.

I don't use them because Page did.

I use them because I find them to be quality machines.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Just to understand, the tuners you have work and you like them. But because Jimmy Page installed Grover tuners on electric guitars, you want to do that on your Takamine?
I’ve played Gibsons with Grover tuners. I like the feel of Grover tuners. I assume having Grovers on my Takamine would give it a more Gibsony feel overall. I also bought Martin 12 gauge strings for it. A bit of Martin and Gibson, on a budget.

Last edited by Hamsterean; 11-29-2021 at 11:19 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
takamine, takamine gd20, tuner swap, tuners