The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2020, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
Hi Everyone. My favorite and main acoustic guitar is my Taylor 814ce that I bought new in 2006. I have been playing guitar since 2002 and have actually never tried a Martin D-28. I have heard great things about the new 2017 re-design so I wanted to try one.

I went to my local Guitar Center, and tried one. The action was so high - I mean it was way higher action than ANY guitar I have ever played (and I've played hundreds, both cheap and expensive). The strings were also really old on this D28 so I assume that would negatively affect the sound. I'm stunned that Guitar Center wouldn't change the strings, and more importantly, lower the action before trying to sell it.

I know old strings can really affect tone, but when my Taylor 814ce has old strings on it, the guitar still sounds amazing.

I then went to my local Sam Ash and tried a D28 there. The action was better, but the tone was nothing special.

I know guitarists love D28s, and of course they are famous guitars. I'm just wondering why the two that I tried, at two different stores, just didn't sound like anything special.

I do own a Martin X1-DE which is a fraction of the price of a D28, and it sounds amazing!

I'm curious - what are your thoughts on this?
"The action was so high - I mean it was way higher action than ANY guitar I have ever played ......."

What was the action, and what is your preferred action?

Martin are known for setting a playable but high action so it can easily be adjusted down if required - remember Martin dreads are essentially bluegrass rhythm instruments not fingerpickers.

"I'm stunned that Guitar Center wouldn't change the strings.... "

Did you ask them?
The age/condition of strings is irrelevant. If you are serious about buying an instrument - ask them to change the strings -offer to pay for them if necessary. After all if you bought it you would change the strings as soon as you get home anyway.

" .... and more importantly, lower the action before trying to sell it".
well firstly I believe that GC is a large box shifting chain yes? they may have Martins in stock but they are ,not a speciality dealer.

Set it up? To what action? The whole point of Martin setting actions high is so they can be adjusted to the players choice - you do know exactly what action you prefer ...don't you?
Old 08-17-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
for me.. it's not nonsense, it's actually "real".. My other taylors are not the same.. by a long shot.
That's really great, and I'm serious about that. For me however, there's nothing I've heard that would cause me to take a depreciated price on my pre V-Class 814ce for a new one with a different bracing scheme. I actually didn't mean that the way it oprolly came across :\

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 08-17-2020, 01:55 PM

Default Not Impressed by Two Martin D28s

At one point, I was a huge Taylor fan. I had several. 312, 322, 324, 618, 814, 818. I was always buying, selling, trading this Taylor for that. Never stuck with one more than a few months. They looked fantastic, and played fantastic. I was a fanatic.

I would walk into a store and try a Martin. I, too, felt like they were dull and lifeless.

But then one day it hit me. The Taylor sound suddenly became annoying. It sounded great at first, but after 30 minutes or so, it lacked character (for me).

I realized that the Martin sound wasn’t dull or lifeless. I was just just used to this colored sound coming from my Taylor’s.

Needless to say, all my Taylor’s are gone, replaced with a handful of different Martin guitars. I have found the tone I was always seeking. GAS has been cured for almost a year now.

Edit: actually I still have the HOG GS MINI - great little beater guitar

Last edited by jkilgour2000; 08-17-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I've had similar experiences. Every time I recall my D28 demos, and share my experience, I get accused of having bad ears. I'd love to play a well set up, broken in D28. I have played an HD28 or two that were pretty good, but not "diamonds." I've had similar experiences with. Gibson acoustic guitars too.

Of all the Taylor's I've tried, there have been more diamonds than lemons by far.

One thing that could help to level the playing field is if Martin's had Elixirs on them. I find Elixirs to sound the same from day 1 as they do on day 364. Martin SP or even the Lifespan strings, especially when plucked by hundreds of filthy hands over months and months are going to go dead and sound terrible. Thus, a $3000 guitar seems like a dud.
Ah yes, the "you have bad ears" argument...classic
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-17-2020, 02:15 PM

I get it. My ears are tuned to Martin. I tried really hard, and when I say really hard I'm talking about substantial $$$, to like Taylor guitars.

The first was a 614-CE. Beautiful guitar that to my ears sounded no better than an Alvarez or similar. Thinking it was the Maple I wasn't liking I tried a 410-CE. While a bit warmer than the Maple, it had no punch, no power, and limited volume. Both guitars were good guitars, just not in my wheel house by a long ways.

So like I said, I get it. We like what we like for our own reasons. The best part of that is there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:27 PM

Yep - and the same person is even allowed to like different sounds at different times in his/her life....taste can change too and it's great there is probably at least one guitar out there that will appease your ear at a given time in life (hopefully within one's $$$ range as well).
Old 08-17-2020, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
... I'm really surprised if a 2020 Martin D28 has high action, given they are all PLEK'd...
From what I read about PLEK, it is confined to perfecting the fretboard, and does not extend to lowering the saddle to one's action-height preference.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
From what I read about PLEK, it is confined to perfecting the fretboard, and does not extend to lowering the saddle to one's action-height preference.
...that’s right...but it should allow for closer action to be set....I find that Martin factory spec leaves the action fairly high so that it can be adjusted to a players preference...plenty of guitar makers do that while Taylor seems to dial the action fairly low from the factory...
Old 08-17-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...that’s right...but it should allow for closer action to be set....I find that Martin factory spec leaves the action fairly high so that it can be adjusted to a players preference...plenty of guitar makers do that while Taylor seems to dial the action fairly low from the factory...
I agree, though the PLEK'd version of my D18 was rather ' LOW ' it was well within my comfort range.

I'd be curious to hear if the PLEK caused the action to be too low for blue grassers.

MGF
Old 08-17-2020, 06:27 PM

I have a lovely Taylor 810. Sounds beautiful, but sounds like a Taylor.

I bought a "reimagined" D28. It has a very thick, pungent tone. I love it for totally different reasons compared to the Taylor.

It arrived with high action, but after some saddle sanding and not slot filing - plays like a dream.

Different tools for different jobs.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:46 PM

Default Not Impressed by Two Martin D28s

All you have to do is say, hey I like this guitar, I’m going to buy it - but do you have a tech here that can set it up for me? Simple as that. If you’re going to walk away because of high action you’re not a buyer, you’re a tire kicker. No offense
Old 08-17-2020, 06:47 PM

I like the way Taylor’s sound...when somebody else plays them ...like my gigging partner Lee.
Personally, with my style of play ( more raw) Gibson’s and Martins work for me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-17-2020, 06:50 PM

Thumbs up

I'm not gonna be bias but I will be

Playing Raw is the only way to play.

Unpracticed, mistake prone and just all around ROUGH

The best way to play guitar in my opinion

MGF
Old 08-17-2020, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I like the way Taylor’s sound...when somebody else plays them ...like my gigging partner Lee.
Personally, with my style of play ( more raw) Gibson’s and Martins work for me.
thanks Jamie. I'm bringing the 814 and the 12 string Saturday so you'll be happy with our sound I expect!
Old 08-17-2020, 08:27 PM

Never been a big fan of the modern standard D-28. A D-28 Authentic or even a D28 Marquis is a different story !
I've got A custom D18 with Adirondack top which is really good but eventually I'll get an Authentic !!
Carvin nylon string acoustic
Deering Maple Blossom banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitars, d28, martin guitars