The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 08-16-2015, 01:17 PM

Default Martin 12 fret Madagascar/Italian Alpine

Martin 12 fret D-28 with Madagascar back and sides and Italian Alpine Spruce top, made in 2012 in Martin Custom Shop. The nut is 1 11/16" wide. It has a slotted headstock. This is a good guitar for fingerpicking, flatpicking, or strumming. It has plenty of volume. It has a lush full sound and has been played very little. There is still more to come as it is played more and has a chance to open up. The guitar is essentially new and comes with the Martin papers, Martin case, and even the original Martin box. This guitar should hold its value or increase, especially since it is one of only 50 made. I am not a dealer but can ship through a dealer if there are concerns. $3200.
Also, I don't get around on this site well and I can't figure out how to include pictures. I know it's probably easy but I don't understand how to do it. If someone tells me how I will do it. Meanwhile [email protected] is the best way to reach me. I know how to include pictures there. Thanks.
(Also, you can click these links to view pictures)
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/v...psq0bqj55k.jpg

Last edited by 4given; 10-15-2015 at 09:39 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 08-22-2015, 09:12 PM

Default Martin 12 fret

4given,

Guitar sounds great and I like your tone wood choices. If it is still available, I have a couple of questions. Do you know the scale length? Where in NC are you located? I am in NC also.

Thanks,

Jay
Old 09-24-2015, 10:04 AM

Default 12 fret Martin D28 Madagascar and Italian Alpine Spruce

This is one of 50 guitars made in the Martin Custom Shop in 2012. It has been played very little. The Madagascar back and sides with the Italian Alpine Spruce top, 12 fret neck, and Martin Custom Shop workmanship, give this D28 a wonderful tone and volume. The high end is sweet and the low end is deep. It reminds me of a grand piano when fingerpicked and is a great strummer too. It is a very versatile guitar. The limited number that were made should cause this guitar to retain its value or increase in value as time goes by. Though the guitar sounds really great it still has a lot of opening up ahead of it.
It comes with the original Martin Case, Martin spec sheet, Martin booklet, Martin shipping box, etc.
I am in North Carolina. I am asking $3100 for this great guitar. You can pay a lot more for a guitar like this.
My email address is [email protected]. My phone number is 910-690-4691.
It's a great guitar.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:17 AM

Earl,
Pictures are worth a thousand words! Post some.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:33 PM
G625 mistral-k

Just wondering, can you please advise the: Nut width? String Spacing ?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:36 PM

For anyone considering this guitar, I spent approximately thirty minutes with the guitar and its owner in the past couple of weeks. I will let "4Given" confirm, but I have seen the spec sheet and I believe the nut width is 1 11/16". I think the string spacing is 2 1/8.

About the guitar. I played it for about 30 minutes. I am first a finger style player, but have relied a lot on the pick in recent years. My wife is a versatile singer, covering several genres of music, so I find myself on the stage and in the recording studio with intermediate skills but being called to back up a great (imho) singer and playing a wide variety of music: Fingerstyle, Americana, religious, jazz (well trying to play jazz). You might deem me a "musician by marriage." Musically, she is wearing me out.

I did not doubt that this guitar would be great in ensemble, playing with others, but questioned whether I would be drawn to its finger style tone. I have always preferred a tighter waist guitar (OM, SJ, etc) for finger style.

I realize that tone is in the "ear of the beholder" and there is no assurance that what is pleasing to my ear will be the same for you. That said, and I do not say this lightly, this guitar is one of the best finger style guitars I have ever played. My experience playing (through owning or trying out) finger style guitars has mainly been Taylor (I own a Taylor 614ce), Santa Cruz, Huss and Dalton, Martin, Bourgeois and Collings. This guitar held its own with the very best guitars I have played, some of which cost far more than this guitar. The finger style tone is full, gentle, lush and resonant. I am getting excited again about it while writing this. Maybe it is the italian spruce top, maybe it is the madagascar back, I don't know. To me, this guitar has the finger style "magic" though. Really knocked the shine off of my Taylor 614ce for me unfortunately. I think my guitar is built in part for fingerstyle. Just blew it away.

When you put the pick to it, this guitar is LOUD, but with a well held together tone. It is just, to my mind, a cannon. I am not sure I have ever played a guitar that plays both ends of the spectrum so well, subtle finger style and the booming pick driven strum for Americana, singer/songwriter or bluegrass. Great finger style note separation yet powerful, held together strum. The tone did not fall apart even when driven moderately hard. It has that dark, full, reverby sound that is rosewood. If anything, you will have to stay mindful not to overpower your band mates (especially at the lower frequencies), but I feel very confident that they will not overpower you.

I cannot speak to collector value, as I have no experience with that type of guitar ownership.

After such a glowing review, why would I not buy this guitar? A couple of reasons. First, to quote my dad, "the lack of money messed up more good deals than anything else I know." Second, my wife's singing is versatile. If I had the money to buy a guitar to represent every genre, I would be a happier man. One for fingerstyle, one for Americana/Bluegrass, one for jazz. A rosewood one, a mahogany one. I do however have a seemingly never ending college tuition to pay for my kids, so I need to be down to one steel six string axe to play. The sound that I am most missing right now is that throaty Americana Buddy Miller slope shouldered mahogany sound. I am finding that, no matter how hard you try, it is still pretty hard to make an awesome rosewood guitar sound like a mahogany Gibson J-35. Which is too bad, because in my heart I prefer the dark reverb of a rosewood guitar with an italian spruce top.

I don't know if this comment is helpful to those of you considering this guitar, but I thought I would post it, in the event that it is. I know comments have helped me on this board in the past. You will have to decide for yourself, but I was very impressed, even more impressed than I expected to be, with this guitar. Oh, and after a quick inspection of the guitar, the guitar appears to be very clean. Happy purchasing.

Last edited by riorider; 09-29-2015 at 07:36 AM. Reason: no endorsements or "ratings" allowed on AGF
Old 09-28-2015, 08:36 PM

I think this might be an HD-28VS . . . especially if it was made for Guitar Center.

Mine was made for GC, and that's how it was tagged (as an HD-28VS).

These are great guitars!
Old 10-03-2015, 09:28 AM

Default pictures

Is this guitar still available?
Are there pictures?
Where in NC are you located?
Old 10-30-2015, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Default pm

PM sent
Please advise
Old 10-30-2015, 11:27 AM

Paying it forward. GLWTS

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
12 fret, 12 fret martin, d28, italian alpine spruce, madagascar rosewood, martin custom shop