The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2014, 11:25 PM

Default Martin D18/D35/D28

Which to get! Also, which pickup and is my favorite guitars a trusted website?
Thanks!
Old 12-02-2014, 11:30 PM

Gotta tell us more. What kind of music do you play? What's your budget? All three are great guitars but they have their differences and excell in different areas

D18s have less overtones, less complex more direct etc. more midrange less bass and trebles

D28s very complex, rich, "scooped tone" less mids more bass and treble.

D35s are similar to d28s but less balanced and lean more towards heavier bass at the expense of trebles and have less clarity
Old 12-02-2014, 11:31 PM

Get the one that sounds best to you. Those three sound very different from each other.

Install a K&K Pure Mini pickup.

My Fav Guitars is top notch.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:32 PM

MFG is a very trustworthy site. I've purchased a few Martins from them. As to which one is for you, you have to tell us what you like to play. I currently have one of each of those you listed. They all have their strengths. Can't help with pickups, but many swear by the K&K mini.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:35 PM

I will suggest you add one more to your list of instruments to consider: try a D-21 and see how it strikes you. They're all fine guitars.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 12-02-2014, 11:46 PM

Hi guys thanks for all the advice. As of now, I think I'm leaning towards the D-28.. I play all types of music so I'm looking for the best all-around guitar. Any more thoughts? Thanks!
Old 12-02-2014, 11:50 PM

I have a D-18 and D-35...if I could only have one of the ones you mentioned, it'd be the D-35 without hesitation. That guitar sounds soooo sweet....the back and sides are gorgeous...the white binding finishes it off nicely...
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 12-02-2014, 11:50 PM

I've got a 28 and I never really find myself wishing for anything else. If I want soft warm tones they are there, if I want bright, loud, clear tones, they are there. It's a wonderful all arounder.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne View Post
I have a D-18 and D-35...if I could only have one of the ones you mentioned, it'd be the D-35 without hesitation. That guitar sounds soooo sweet....the back and sides are gorgeous...the white binding finishes it off nicely...
Agreed, the D-35 will do everything the 28 will but better!
D-18's a totally different animal. Its got it's place but lets just say theres a reason rosewood has been the standard on the higher end acoustics for well over a hundred years.
Enjoy the hunt
Old 12-03-2014, 12:55 AM

Between the 3, my favorites have generally been the 18s and 35s. I always seem to come back to them although in the end I fell for a 35. It's a great solo and all around, but you may want more mid-range depending on what you plan on doing with it. Still, can't beat the rumble of a 35.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:16 AM

I play music from folky stuff, acoustic rock to bluegrass. I have the newer D18 and it is a great all around guitar. Scalloped bracing and a bit wider neck profile than the 28 or 35. I had a D35 and sold it because frankly it didnt get any playtime. The pre 2012 D18s are straight braced as is the 28 . All great guitars . I would play all 3 and get the one that speaks to you. Mahogany has a totally different vibe than rosewood. Scalloped braced guitars sound quite different than straight braced ones.

Last edited by budglo; 12-03-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

They're all fine guitars, so it's just personal preference. My favorite of those is easily the 35, but there are no dogs in the bunch.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margotrich View Post
Hi guys thanks for all the advice. As of now, I think I'm leaning towards the D-28.. I play all types of music so I'm looking for the best all-around guitar. Any more thoughts? Thanks!
Hello margo:

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!

There is a reason the D-28 was/is the iconic acoustic Dreadnought guitar.
It really has been used for just about every application.
Then again, so has the 35 and the 18

Are you a long time player or are you just starting off on this journey?
It can take years for one to figure out their preference and that preference can change over the years. The D-28 is a great starting point, and may very well be the one.
If possible, it would great if there was a location by you were you can try out all 3

My Favorite guitars are a forum sponsor and have some of the best prices. You can also try maury in P.A. He is another great option. All depends we're u live. Do not go by what is listed on the site. Call and/or email for the best price......and tell them you are an AGF member.
http://www.maurysmusic.com/
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-03-2014, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

I have owned all 3 and liked them all but currently only own a D-35. It's my main guitar for all types of music, plugged in and acoustic, fingerstyle and flatpick. (The notes seem to jump off the sound board faster on the 35 than the other 2 models when playing fingerstyle.) I intend to keep the 35, despite the amber SB which I don't like, because I really like the way it sounds. The 35 is just really responsive and rich sounding. It can be bassy but I like that and the bass can be tempered with a lighter touch. There is a K&K PWM in it and it sounds nice through a PA, or Soloamp. I use a Red Eye preamp when plugged in. Someone commented on a lack of trebles with the D35. I don't percieve that. The Red Eye has a treble boost so maybe that is why I don't notice a defecit.

Have fun with your search. All 3 of the models you mention are awesome guitars and I would have one of each if money were no object.

Tim
Old 12-03-2014, 06:41 AM

May be any one of them, all of them or none of them.

Do you play with a pick or fingers?

Instrumental or vocal?

Solo or with a group?

If group, what other instruments?

If vocal, what is your vocal timbre?

Maybe name 1-2 of your favorite tunes to play

What is it about the Martin D guitars that appeals to you?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d18, d28, d35, martin