The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I'm really taking some heat over on the UMGF right now. Wonder if they've ever heard of Tyminski?????
That's my home base (the UMGF) & I hear ya.... But it's your guitar. Did you buy it to resell or to play?

Also, unless the guitar was so vintage & pristine that I'd be uncomfortable playing it, I don't care how vintage it was - I'd put in a pickup. And if it was so pristine that I'd be uncomfortable playing it, I probably wouldn't have been able to afford to buy it anyway.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:11 PM

I think you should play it, put a pick-up in it, do whatever. Its your guitar. I also have some sympathy for those who advise against any modification on the basis that they ain't making any more '46 D-28's and , over time, there will be fewer and fewer available. My own feeling about truly vintage, or soon to be truly vintage, is that ownership would include an element of preservation recognizing I will not be the last owner and I should pass it along as it was made. Monetary consideration also play into it as it isn't hard to imagine what it might be worth in dollars at that point in the future when you pass it along. Right now, modifications probably don't affect current value that much but in 10 or 15 years, might the modifications have a bigger impact on value? Probably why I got away from vintage instruments a while ago.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:27 PM

I agree WordMan,
I would appreciate if you could copy paste the following on the UMGF as I'm still not a member there. If you don't feel comfortable doing so, I totally understand.

I appreciate everyone's input especially those that are voicing concerns about comprising the integrity of the guitar. However, I wanted to share a story about this Martin with you:
At the age of 13 my father and I drove this 46 D28 from Chicago to Nazareth to have some light repairs done by Martin ( back then they did that). After driving 18 or so hours I was eager to get their opinion and value of the guitar. Mike Longworth came out of his office and greeted us. I told him about the guitar and that I was there for some light repair. Mike looked the guitar over for a good 3 minutes and never said a word. beaming with pride I said "Mr. Longworth, this guitar was owned by ______ ______ and has been used on the Grand Ole Opery many times as well as played on many of the Dr. Pepper commercials aired on the radio in the 50's. I even have the recordings to prove it!" "Certainly that must increase the value of the guitar" I said. Once again Mike was silent. So I asked him point blank "How much do you think this guitar is worth?" He answered with a question "How did you get the guitar?" I said "it was given to me by someone on his death bed and he made me promise that I would never sell it." Mr Longworth looked at me and said "son guitars are only worth what someone will pay so that makes your guitar worth nothing." I was dumbfounded! He went on to say, "you said you would never sell, so it's not worth anything - this guitar is simply a tool in your tool box". "A nice tool but just a tool" He said. Seeing that I was visibly upset and hurt over his comment, Mike bought us lunch and let me hang around the plant for the rest of the day. My pride was cut to nothing that day! Truth is, I wanted him to tell me it was worth $10,000. I wanted him to say never do this and never do that and keep it in this case and always have your eyes on it when you take it out and use this humidifier etc..
I'll never forget that conversation with Mike. Today I would agree with him - This guitar is a tool in my tool box. That makes the sentimental value priceless but the monetary value is $0. One day I will be giving it to someone who will hopefully cherish it and promise to never sell but if that person does, he'll need to tell the buyer that it's had some hairline cracks fixed, a new bridgeplate a new bridge and one small screw hole in the already modified bridgeplate. By then, I won't care if he gets $100.00 or $10,000 for it.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Hey KYDave,

Nope. will never sell. See my reply to WordMan. Thanks for the K&K recommendation. I'm doing some research on it as many people are stearing me in that direction.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 PM

Cool story and closer to the truth than anything else than can be said. I called Martin one time years ago about something and spoke with Mike. He seems like a good guy to me. I live within a few hours of the plant and drive by often while on business. They sure do make a great D-28. I have owned 3 of them so far, 1 D-18 and a D-15. Currently I have just my 1968 D-18 and my Sons got a 28 and the 15. Martin set the standard for the D series guitar and perfected it many years ago.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46D28 View Post

At the age of 13 my father and I drove this 46 D28 from Chicago to Nazareth to have some light repairs done by Martin ( back then they did that). After driving 18 or so hours I was eager to get their opinion and value of the guitar.

Mike Longworth came out of his office and greeted us. I told him about the guitar and that I was there for some light repair. Mike looked the guitar over for a good 3 minutes and never said a word. beaming with pride I said "Mr. Longworth, this guitar was owned by ______ ______ and has been used on the Grand Ole Opery many times as well as played on many of the Dr. Pepper commercials aired on the radio in the 50's. I even have the recordings to prove it!" "Certainly that must increase the value of the guitar" I said. Once again Mike was silent. So I asked him point blank "How much do you think this guitar is worth?" He answered with a question "How did you get the guitar?" I said "it was given to me by someone on his death bed and he made me promise that I would never sell it." Mr Longworth looked at me and said "son guitars are only worth what someone will pay so that makes your guitar worth nothing." I was dumbfounded! He went on to say, "you said you would never sell, so it's not worth anything - this guitar is simply a tool in your tool box". "A nice tool but just a tool" He said.

Seeing that I was visibly upset and hurt over his comment, Mike bought us lunch and let me hang around the plant for the rest of the day. My pride was cut to nothing that day! Truth is, I wanted him to tell me it was worth $10,000. I wanted him to say never do this and never do that and keep it in this case and always have your eyes on it when you take it out and use this humidifier etc..

I'll never forget that conversation with Mike. Today I would agree with him - This guitar is a tool in my tool box. That makes the sentimental value priceless but the monetary value is $0. One day I will be giving it to someone who will hopefully cherish it and promise to never sell but if that person does, he'll need to tell the buyer that it's had some hairline cracks fixed, a new bridgeplate a new bridge and one small screw hole in the already modified bridgeplate. By then, I won't care if he gets $100.00 or $10,000 for it.
What a great story!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
d28, martin, pickup, vintage