The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-02-2012, 04:35 PM

HHP

Thanks for the suggestion. Just googled the McIntyre Feather. Do you own one?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM

Hey Royd,

Thanks for the input. Have you played through the Schertler dyn-g?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46D28 View Post
HHP

Thanks for the suggestion. Just googled the McIntyre Feather. Do you own one?
No, but the best amplified D-28 I ever heard had one in it. I only have one, low cost, A/E. Rest are just acoustic.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM

HHP

Thanks for the info. BTW I hear ya on the using a different guitar for live. I only own another Martin 1919 0-21 and a Godin S6. I've used the Godin but it's just not the same. My only option would be to buy something in the $500-$600 range. rather than do that I figured a great pickup would solve everything
Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 PM

In my humble, K&K are making some of the best acoustic pickups around these days. They also have a Vintage jack version of most of their stuff, so no drilling required. Most guys here that go K&K go with the external pre-amp so you have as little as possible inside. The K&K Pure Mini with the K&K Pre-amp is a powerful combo.

I just had one put in my Collings D2HA, played it on stage on Sunday and had great reviews on the sound. My guitar tech who installed it loved it too - was a Baggs guy for years and I think he's now going to switch.

Glad to see someone who believes that guitars are built to work.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 PM

The facts not revealed in the UMGF thread [yet] that the guitar's got a new bridge & bridgeplate might change the "tune" a bit. I've got a B-band bridgeplate transducer installed in my '51 D-18, sounds great to me.

I'd perhaps not have done this to a pristine original. Mine was factory re-finished per orig owner in '60s & got new tuners, so I didn't flinch at drilling the end-pin out/etc.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 PM

Smile

My feeling is this...No matter what system you choose, it probably won't sound like your D-28 anymore when you plug in...Really consider using an acoustic/electric guitar in the $600 to $800 range....My Epiphone DR-500MCE was at the lower end of that & I'm betting it would sound better than your vintage Martin plugged in...Just something to chew on...
Martin SWDGT
Martin SWJGT
Martin MMV Dread
Martin 000-21
Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM

Hey Tunes,

Thanks for the info. You are the 6th person to recommend the K&K. I know nothing about them nor have heard one. Wondering if you (and any one else Please) can check out this vid from the Bagg web site on the Anthem. I like the sound but not crazy about the holes drilled. Just wondering how you think the K&K compares to the this one. The link is to a page with three video's. The first one is the one I'm refering to. Towards the end, he compares the Anthem to a mic by switching back and forth. I'm still mic biased but this sounds pretty good.

http://www.lrbaggs.com/anthem/#experienceit
Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 PM

I agree Dakota,

The fact is the bridgeplate was shot. I didn't have a choice if I ever wanted to play it. Now that it's a plain bock of wood ( I have no idea what the Authorized repair guy used) Who cares? I wasn't able to post that on UMGF since I'm not a member. Probably not very welcome there anyway right now like many of the other pickups mentioned, I have no idea what a B band BP is. Time to Google!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 PM

BoneYard I tend to agree with you. It was the Bagg Anthem dual mic/transducer that had my hopes up. Hoping the mic portion would replicate the vintage tone. However, after watching the video again (they show a quick shot of what it looks like mounted)too many holes for me.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks KY Dave for the support! I'm a huge Tyminski fan. Almost started this thread out asking if anyone knows what pickup he uses...
I emailed a contact among his "people" who has passed on questions and answers in the past. I got a Tyminski D28 a couple years ago and he/they were really good about responding, so I asked again something different.

Quote:
You are the 6th person to recommend the K&K. I know nothing about them nor have heard one.
Every one of those Martins in my sig line uses K&K...

Old 05-02-2012, 09:48 PM

KYDave,

Sweet! Thanks for doing that!

I'm really taking some heat over on the UMGF right now. Wonder if they've ever heard of Tyminski?????
Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
KYDave,

Sweet! Thanks for doing that!

I'm really taking some heat over on the UMGF right now. Wonder if they've ever heard of Tyminski?????
High-end vintage dealers and tech/luthiers have long experience seeing modifications go wrong, and/or value get affected. They bring that perspective, which makes sense to balance with the practical considerations on the player side.

If someone has a great vintage guitar in great condition, un-modded, then thinking about modding it now can really compromise the value. As you say 46D28, you have a replaced bridge and plate, so things are a bit different - but I get their perspective...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 AM

I have the feather in one of my guitars (Alverez DMY96) and it does a great job. But for the record I have K & K mini's in my Olson SJ and Goodall Royal Hawaiian and am very happy. No battery no muss no fuss. Also for the record I have no pickup in my 68 Martin D-18 to keep it stock and play through a mic when I play out. If you are going to modify you Martin go with the K & K. They really do work well and are very easy to use. If it were mine I would modify it if I were playing out all the time and wanted it to be simple. If I were playing out on occasion I would mic it and keep it stock. Tough choice. Keep us informed.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM

"I'm really taking some heat over on the UMGF right now"

Seems there's an equal # of folks there who "get" what you want to do with your already-modified '46.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
d28, martin, pickup, vintage