The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 02-15-2023, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin J40 Re-Imagined with modified low oval neck & tapered high performance neck

Just putting a feeler out there for the time being. My guitar situation is currently in flux & I'm in the middle of a few trades, potential sales & will have some ready cash soon. I've already earmarked some of the money to buy a couple of guitars here on the forum once the money arrives in my account.

I'm looking for a Martin J40 reimagined with modified low oval with high performance taper neck profile in the near future. It has to be the low profile oval neck, as in the reimagined series. I have a fabulous Martin J41 Special Edition which is absolutely incredible BUT the pronounced V neck profile cripples my left playing thumb. The same applies to my sublime Martin HJ38 Steffan Grossman model too although the neck profile is nowhere near as damaging to the basal joint of my left playing thumb. I can probably tolerate that. I don't want to sell the J41 because it's truly fabulous with uber sensitivity & responsiveness.....and incredibly loud & open. But that might be a trade possibility for a reimagined J40.

I may also consider trading my Goodall RCJ which I've owned for 11 years & is the best of maybe 30 Goodalls that I've owned.

Either way, I should be in a position to buy a Martin J40 reimagined soon, after selling a few of my other guitars. For now this is just a tentative feeler to see what's out there. I've listened to videos/soundclips, done my research etc....and feel the neck profile of the J40 reimagined will be perfect for my creaking left hand! Feel free to PM me or email me using my profile email address.

Last edited by neildealdylan; 02-16-2023 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:33 AM

Sounds like what you want is the "modified low oval with high performance taper" of the re-imagined models. Low profile is a different shape.
Also, this might be sacrilige, but you could have the neck re-shaped to your liking, of the guitar you have and love.
Best of luck
Old 02-15-2023, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebum View Post
Sounds like what you want is the "modified low oval with high performance taper" of the re-imagined models. Low profile is a different shape.
Also, this might be sacrilige, but you could have the neck re-shaped to your liking, of the guitar you have and love.
Best of luck
I have a J-40 that I wanted wide spacing and a chunky neck. Having Martin do a neck replacement cost me about 2k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F70E73F2-9C5D-4844-8FB3-1308CBC38E7E.jpg (18.8 KB, 208 views)
Old 02-16-2023, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks & bump it up...

Thanks for the input. I've recently had a neck shave on my sublime Braz Greven FXN Deluxe model and that is perfect now. I'm reluctant to do the same on limited edition models UNLESS I'm certain they will be lifetime keepers. Also the Martin J41 Special Edition's neck is a very pronounced V profile and will require a lot of shaving which may affect the tone AND also the value. The same applies to the Martin HJ38 Stefan Grossman which I can tolerate most of the time. I think I'll wait to try out a Re-Imagined Martin J40 before making any neck shave decisions for now. Certainly with my Greven FXN Deluxe, it was the best value £250 that I've ever spent with no tonal loss at all.

So if any of you have one of these J40's then let me know if you fancy selling it or maybe doing some form of trade. Thanks for your advice again!
Old 02-17-2023, 07:34 AM

Default Greven neck

Hi , I am in the UK could you tell me who did your Greven neck shave. Thanks
Old 02-17-2023, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Recommendation in Wales.

Rob Williams did my Greven FXN, fantastic luthier & a really nice guy too. I've considered buying a stellar sounding standard Martin J40 & sending that to Wales for a neck shave. But I'm looking to see if there are any reimagined J40's first. No rush though.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Bump...

A little bump to the top. I'm in no hurry anyway. And the more I play my Martin J41 Special & HJ38SG, I reckon no Martin J40 will touch either of them. Having said that, if someone is thinking of selling their reimagined J40 then please reach out for trade possibilities etc. I'm selling a number of my guitars over the next few months so I'll have cash or trade possibilities aplenty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars