The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2023, 12:43 AM

Talking GT’s from Taylor 🤯

Have a GS-mini Mahogany and some high-end legends like a Goodall and a vintage Gibson L-1 Flattop…but I must say getting hands on a GT urban ash feels righter than right has felt in a long time. Size matters, this size fits well for the way I play and it glides and bends like Kristi Yamaguchi. I’ve seen some pretty bad reviews on here so wanted to chime in with a huge fans point of view. I think years from now, Andy Powers will represent the golden age of Taylor guitars and these GT body types will stand as one of his top tier accomplishments.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:12 AM

I have one too and like it. I've had the gs mini in all hog, koa and spruce and sold them all because everything always felt way too small and tight.
I really appreciate the extra room with the GT urban ash and imo it also sounds better.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

My goto guitar is a GTK21e over a GS Mini hog or an 814 or a D-35
Old 02-07-2023, 03:55 PM

I love playing my GT and my wife likes listening to it. I bought and sold 3 GS Minis hoping to bond with one but they were just too small. The Gt is a perfect fit.
Cheap Squier Electrics
Quit counting the ones that have come and gone.

I am not afraid to work on my own guitars
Old 02-07-2023, 06:35 PM

I bought the GT urban ash and had a love/ not so much relationship. While it was for me, one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever owned, some days the overall tone just wasn't cutting it for me. When the GT Mahogany came out and I had a chance to play one, my Urban Ash became a trade in with no regrets.

Last edited by Toucan; 02-07-2023 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

You missed it - the Golden Age of Taylor was 1994-1998.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:34 AM

I just saw an Urban Ash at my local GC tonight and it was on clearance. Not sure what to make of that. I think I played that very guitar several months ago and even commented about it here. It was not great and I'm not sure why? I did like the size- so comfortable!

Not a knock on Taylor at all though, I'm actually a fan of the brand. I think their Academy Series guitars are literally the best guitars on the market in that price point, and their mahogany topped guitars are killer!
Old 02-08-2023, 06:10 AM

I watched the Taylor video comparing the GS Mini-e Mahogany, GTe Mahogany and AD22e {here}. Honestly, I think I liked the GS Mini best, and given the equality of pricing, I think I'd take the AD22e over the GT. Of course, that's just me. And I know that both the GTe and the AD22e are "darker" sounding by design, and I like the "sparkle" of the Mini. I wouldn't throw any of them away, mind you.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:56 AM

I'm a huge fan of the GS mini and own 2, but all the GTs I've tried just do nothing for me. I guess I was just expecting better tone and volume for that kind of money. Playing one back-to-back with a Yamaha FS, which I did at GC, is shocking!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
andy powers, great value, taylor, taylor gt, urban ash