The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2022, 09:51 AM

Default Alvarez AMP66 vs AP66

I’m debating between these two Alvarez 00 guitars:

AP66
24” scale length
12 fret
00 body
Slotted Headstock

AMP66
24.84” scale length
14 fret
00 body
Paddle Headstock

What differences can I expect between the two? Which will be the best compromise of ergonomics and sound? What playing styles would each cater to? I currently play a lot of bar chords with fills in between, but I also play down in the “cowboy chord” area some of the time too. One thing that sticks with me is how Martins 00-18 is a 24.9” 14 fret. Why would Martin settle on this spec? Why not a lower scale length? Why not 12 frets rather than 14? Is the 24.9”/14 fret just a better all rounder? I’ll try to get a video up of my playing as a reference.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:58 PM

I don't have an answer for all of your questions, but I have owned an Alvarez AP66SHB for about 5 years now. It's a pretty nice guitar. I do wish I had waited a year or so and gotten the AMP version, as I would rather have a solid headstock than slotted and 14 frets rather than 12. But I had no idea at the time that they would be making those. Anyway, I do a lot of barre chords and it's no problem, except when I'm closer to the 12th fret.
I know a lot of people say these are basically 00s, but I feel they are a tad smaller. It is a little longer than my Guild M140, which I think is somewhere between an 0 and 00 size. Guild calls it an M. Alvarez calls theirs a parlor. It seems like sizes tend to vary slightly depending on manufacturer anyway. Personally I think something like a Martin 00 or 000 with the short scale is about near the perfect size guitar. Some of the lower level models have the longer scale from what I've seen.
I don't think you could really go wrong with either of those Alvarez's, but changing strings on a slot head is a learning curve for sure, solid (paddle) is easier. And if you think you may want access to the 14 frets, well...
I don't think there would be much difference tonally since the bodies are the same size. I have not had the opportunity to compare them side by side, however. Maybe someone else has.
As for music styles, I play whatever I feel like and it handles it pretty well. It's not too boxy unless the strings are dead or perhaps if you really wail on it.
(Martin) Sigma DM-1
(Martin) Sigma GC1ST

Last edited by zeontestpilot; 10-11-2022 at 08:05 PM. Reason: additional
Old 10-12-2022, 06:33 AM

I have owned both. Both are great guitars. Although I currently own the AP66, based on your description of your playing interests I would recommend you go with the AMP66. It’s a much better all-rounder and takes to a flatpick much better than the AP66, while still being really good fingerstyle too.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
00 size, alvarez, parlor, short scale