The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-31-2022, 05:54 AM

Default EQ Pedals

Hi folks, interested in getting input on EQ pedal preferences for acoustic guitar and perhaps specific settings. I realize everyone has their own tastes, but I'm looking for a benchmark to start. I have an LR Baggs Anthem pickup in a Martin D28. I use a Fishman Loudbox Performer for amplification. I have a LR Baggs Session pedal which definitely improves the sound, but I feel I'm still lacking that "perfect" sound. Hence, perhaps an EQ pedal is the answer. I've looked at several including LR Baggs Align EQ, MXR 10/6 band EQ, etc. Any thoughts on the best EQ pedal for acoustic guitar? Thanks!
Old 08-31-2022, 06:50 AM

I recently got a JOYO 6 band EQ for my electric, it's basically an MXR clone. Works great. Not expensive. Haven't tried it for acoustic, but I imagine it would do the job just fine.
Old 08-31-2022, 06:58 AM

Boss GE7 for me.

There's a cheaper Behringer version, but it's not even close to as solid as the Boss (the boss is 4x the cost so.. figures there)

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-31-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2472 View Post
Hi folks, interested in getting input on EQ pedal preferences for acoustic guitar and perhaps specific settings. I realize everyone has their own tastes, but I'm looking for a benchmark to start. I have an LR Baggs Anthem pickup in a Martin D28. I use a Fishman Loudbox Performer for amplification. I have a LR Baggs Session pedal which definitely improves the sound, but I feel I'm still lacking that "perfect" sound. Hence, perhaps an EQ pedal is the answer. I've looked at several including LR Baggs Align EQ, MXR 10/6 band EQ, etc. Any thoughts on the best EQ pedal for acoustic guitar? Thanks!
If you can't get close with your amp's EQ settings a pedal probably won't get you what you're looking for. It won't give you anything that isn't already there, and won't get rid of the portion of the amplified signal that you find objectionable.

Most players looking for the "perfect" sound end up getting to where they want to be by experimenting with pickups until they are satisfied with the resultant tone. Some players end up never finding perfection in a pickup and end up using a microphone. That obviously has other drawbacks, though.

Each player has their own idealized perfect sound, so it certainly won't hurt to experiment with alternate pedal selections. It may prove good enough in your particular case.

You question will perhaps get a much wider range of suggestions if you post in the "Acoustic Amplification" portion of the forum. (Warning, Tonedexter ahead...)
Old 08-31-2022, 08:16 AM
Eric Skye

A good eq pedal can be very helpful. The more frequencies the better. Most amps and or acoustic preamps just have one mid pot, usually around 500 or 1.2K. Chances are, depending on what pickup up you're using, you'll want to cut one of those somewhat, maybe both. Even if your amp or preamp has a sweepable mid control, you're likely still only able to hit one or the other..

I don't use a pickup very often but my guitar does have a K&K in it and I've found I get the best tone with just a small MXR eq pedal going into the AER that any other preamp I've used. I've alway thought if someone could make small acoustic preamp that has the buffering as well as, say, a quality ten-band graphic or a parametric eq it would be golden.

One imperfect strategy to figure out roughly what you might need is to run your guitar and pickup directly into something like Garage Band and record few things. Then use the eq to see what frequencies help. It's not perfect because it's not interacting with an amp or a room.. But if you discover that say, cutting 410k dramatically improves your pickup tone then look for an eq pedal that has close to that and it'll probably help quite a bit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
anthem, d28, equalization, pedal, settings