The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBW View Post
+1 on Taylor for shimmering, open, and bright.
Yes, but another Taylor advantage is playability. For someone shifting from electric to acoustic the Taylor neck should be an advantage.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:00 AM

I think my Mexican Martin is quite a good deal at $500.
I've tried Eastman, every single one in their entire 22 series up to 822, and I think this Martin sounds better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimayred View Post
I’m going to go out on a limb here but I’m 67 and have been playing since I was 17. Two years ago I got back into acoustic full-time and even built my own steel string which is a stunner. I have played probably at least one of every major mass-produce guitar, Taylor‘s, Martin‘s, Gibsons, guilds, etc. Frankly, less than $1000 I see only one real choice and that’s FURCH. I’ve ordered four of them online. Two of them are laminate backs the violet in the indigo. It would be hard pressed to find a better made or sounding guitar for 2 to 3 times the price. I recently also bought a blue which is their intro level all solid wood guitar and it almost brings me to tears every time I play it. What a sweet balanced stunning sound. For the money I do not believe you can beat them and I think there are a lot of pros out there who agree, you can check out Alamo music and a few other sources. Since I play a lot of open tunings I bought two Orangewood guitars recently, they’re the intro level Oliver, I saw them on a Darrell Braun website and I was blown away by the sound. The workmanship fit and finish are perfectly fine, I keep waiting for the guitar to explode but it this disproves that trope that you need to spend a lot of money on an all solid wood guitar to get a well made great sounding guitar. And that was 185 bucks, I can’t imagine what their better guitars sound like. Otherwise, you can never go wrong with the right Yamaha. If you absolutely insist on a name, I would go for guild. I personally really like the way Taylor and Martin‘s look but I’ve never played one that I thought was worth half of the money that’s being asked for it and frankly if you’re gonna buy a Mexican Martin, you’re just buying it for the name and I would go for a Asian guild first. Read a little about the furch, it’s a great story, and their guitars walk the walk.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:52 PM

I didn't read the thread, but if you're still undecided my recommendation to try is the Yamaha LL16, seems to be what you're seeking spec wise.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:55 PM

No need to spend so much, so soon. Just my opinion.

If you have small hands, look for a small scale guitar. Epiphone/Gibson are small scale guitars. Also, look for smaller body guitars, as others have mentioned already.

Welcome to the wonderful world of acoustic guitars!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alvarez, md60bg, md70bg, solid wood guitar