The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 05:31 AM

so is there any finished pics?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahmed View Post
so is there any finished pics?
I will have pics of this in a week or so...

Kevin.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:07 PM

Here are a couple pics.

I vacuum clamp the bridge on and I assist with clamps.

And these are my patent pending 'Adjustable Acoustic Saddles'...they are machined from bone for that traditional sounding bone tone. This guitar is really sounding nice too. These will help make setting the intonation easier.

In this pic I'm lowering the string action on the two "E's" then I can take them all down to the correct placement with a radius sanding block. Then I can re-slot them for the 2 1/4" string spacing. And finally I can adjust the intonation to the proper spots. Pretty cool once you get it set up.

I will let this one set for a few days then do the final set up, take some pics and then put it in a shipping box headed for Healdsburg.

Come play this guitar at Healdsburg. I'll have two/three with this adjustable saddle/bridge and two with the regular slot style saddle.

Kevin.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:27 PM

Speechless.

In my short journey with the guitar - as some know I'm about 1 month into this passion otherwise known as playing the guitar, I've discovered these custom build threads. Each time I see something new - a new kind of binding, or wood figure, or bevel design, or inlay, or build process I'm just blown away.

This thread continues that trend.

Gorgeous, absolutely stunning. Thanks for the pictures and for documenting the process.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmire View Post
Speechless.

In my short journey with the guitar - as some know I'm about 1 month into this passion otherwise known as playing the guitar, I've discovered these custom build threads. Each time I see something new - a new kind of binding, or wood figure, or bevel design, or inlay, or build process I'm just blown away.

This thread continues that trend.

Gorgeous, absolutely stunning. Thanks for the pictures and for documenting the process.

dadmire - thanks!! Keep your eye on this thread and my other one, got some last minute details to show.

This particular guitar sounds really nice. I have some "hi-tech" features on this guitar. Adjustable neck, adjustable intonation, the dual engineered side sound ports, the bevel, the dual wall construction and a few other things.

Mind numbing stuff to set up but once its all dialed in its just a great set up.

Have a great day. Stay tuned!!!

Kevin.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:40 PM

Here are a couple shots of the guitar being prepped for finals. This is also a nice look at the dual engineered side sound holes.

Its shaping up nice and really is sounding great. More pics in the next couple days.

Kevin.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:02 PM

Will be finished with this guitar tomorrow. I'll have 'finished' pics as soon as I can (couple days). I usually spend a lot of time on this part of the guitar.

I like how the inlay turned out and I also like how the truss rod cover turned out. The recess looks tight and I like that.

Until then,

Kevin.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 PM

Absolutely beautiful in every way. I'm always watching your posts hoping to steal some ideas. Well, I think I can do the Six string part and that's about it.

Thanks for sharing.

Scott
Old 07-24-2013, 02:30 AM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post

This picture says a lot to the strength of laminations. I'd NEVER try this with a one piece mahogany neck as you wouldn't get your second foot off the ground and it'd be snapped at the headstock end.
Hi Kevin, beautiful work and impressively stiff ribs. While looking through your thread and admiring your work I noticed this above quote and the pic of you standing on a laminated neck. This is not an attempt to refute anything you have said about laminated necks or some attempt at argument. When I saw your pic I realised that I have as much faith in one piece neck strength and faith in my ability to scarf a joint as you have with your necks so thought you might find this interesting.

The neck in my pic is Papua New Guinea Rosewood (Nara or Pterocarpus Indicus) one piece, the fret board is N.T. Ironwood (Erythrophleum chlorostachys), tough stuff with a specific gravity of roughly 1.2. It has a 13 degree scarf, 0.04inch veneer on the back and 0.11 veneer on the front. I weigh about 190Lbs.

Jim

Darwin Strings
Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
Hi Kevin, beautiful work and impressively stiff ribs. While looking through your thread and admiring your work I noticed this above quote and the pic of you standing on a laminated neck. This is not an attempt to refute anything you have said about laminated necks or some attempt at argument. When I saw your pic I realised that I have as much faith in one piece neck strength and faith in my ability to scarf a joint as you have with your necks so thought you might find this interesting.

The neck in my pic is Papua New Guinea Rosewood (Nara or Pterocarpus Indicus) one piece, the fret board is N.T. Ironwood (Erythrophleum chlorostachys), tough stuff with a specific gravity of roughly 1.2. It has a 13 degree scarf, 0.04inch veneer on the back and 0.11 veneer on the front. I weigh about 190Lbs.

Jim

Darwin Strings
Hey Jim - You are actually standing on a laminated neck if you have a scarf join and a fingerboard glued on it. I was standing on the neck shaft only, no scarf join and no fingerboard added. I weigh about 185. If you read my original claim I said "one piece mahogany neck" (no fingerboard, no scarf join). Try that. I'd definitely stand an a rosewood one piece neck - with a scarf join (or not) and a fingerboard added (or not). No problem. Also a scarf join is not "one-piece construction". The reason one piece mahogany necks break is because the grain orientation in the nut area. It WILL break. With a scarf join you've "re-oriented" the grain direction, you've stiffened this area up. This is not "one piece" construction.

I guess I stand by, er...or onmy original claim that laminated necks are stronger than one piece mahogany necks.

Have a super great day Jim.

Kevin.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCavalier View Post
Absolutely beautiful in every way. I'm always watching your posts hoping to steal some ideas. Well, I think I can do the Six string part and that's about it.

Thanks for sharing.

Scott
Hi Scott - Can I call you KingCavalier for short haha...

Thanks for your compliment. Just try to be as original as you can. Let other peoples ideas inspire your own ideas. Because everything has pretty much been done - try to put your own touch on everything you do. And if there is a 'known originator', give them credit by name (i.e Manzer wedge etc).

Have a great day Scott.

Peace.

Kevin.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:35 AM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Ahh, cheers Kevin. I see now you mean those necks sawn out of one piece of wood (I had forgotten they existed) including the headstock. When I think of a "laminated neck" I think of ones with the racing stripes.

I like the look of your back bracing too but am not sure if it is a live back or a stiff one?

All the best.

Jim
Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Kevin, at the risk of redundancy, your work is stunning. I love the originality as well as the overall look. Thank you for sharing your craft.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Music soothes the soul!

This guitar is awesome! I will always remember it as my intro to your work. Wish I was going to Healdsburg to hear it. Maybe in a couple years. Still contemplating one of these EuphoricMojo beasts in Redwood/Walnut with loads of bells and whistles. We'll talk.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Dennis, are you anywhere near downstate NY? If you get one of those, I'd love to se and hear it!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop