The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-16-2010, 09:24 PM

Craig, I agree. I needed it's structure to help move me forward. Plus without L&M I would have never learned about music theory.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacks Focus View Post
I've been using L&MG since last October or so, after playing a bit many, many years ago and then giving it up. Since starting it, I've found it to be extremely well thought-out, well-produced, informative and inspiring, and in general well worth the money.

I agree the "reviews" and their pricing scheme is really cheesy, and for most customers more sophisticated than a 6th grader, their marketing technique probably does more harm for them than good. For an antidote to that kind of marketing, I suggest looking at this impartial review from Gibson's website:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...on-review-610/

The thing that sold me on it in the end, and the aspect of it I never fail to take advantage of, is their online forum community of fellow students, and Steve Krenz himself. It's almost unbelievably friendly and supportive.

If anyone is looking for a good lesson program, I would not hesitate to point them in the direction of L&MG.
I went to the Gibson review that you linked, read the comments, and then looked at some of the LMG videos on the Gibson site. Then I did some more Google searching, got on the LMG forum, and was convinced enough from the participation and interaction there to order a previously viewed course from the LMG site for $100, 2/3 of the perpetual "sale" price. I'm pretty cynical about over-the-top marketing, and the online "reviews" alone have kept me from LMG for a year. I'll find out for myself.

From some of the LMG students on the community forum, the Mel Bay material will be good to use along with the LMG course.

Bill
Old 02-17-2010, 07:46 AM

Bill good luck!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
I went to the Gibson review that you linked, read the comments, and then looked at some of the LMG videos on the Gibson site. Then I did some more Google searching, got on the LMG forum, and was convinced enough from the participation and interaction there to order a previously viewed course from the LMG site for $100, 2/3 of the perpetual "sale" price. I'm pretty cynical about over-the-top marketing, and the online "reviews" alone have kept me from LMG for a year. I'll find out for myself.

From some of the LMG students on the community forum, the Mel Bay material will be good to use along with the LMG course.

Bill
Bill,

The scent of a bargain lured me into registering on the LMG site.

However, I don't see anything like a classifieds section, a la AGF. Where did you find your set listed?

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 02-17-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
Bill,

The scent of a bargain lured me into registering on the LMG site.

However, I don't see anything like a classifieds section, a la AGF. Where did you find your set listed?
Hi Dave. It's this page. I forgot how I came across it, but I read about it somewhere or came across it doing Google searches. I emailed Legacy and was told that all the previously-viewed courses are the expanded edition.

Bill
Old 02-17-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Hi Dave. It's this page. I forgot how I came across it, but I read about it somewhere or came across it doing Google searches. I emailed Legacy and was told that all the previously-viewed courses are the expanded edition.

Bill

Thanks, Bill!

I'm more than happy to save $50 merely by brushing off someone else's cooties.

I notice that this is yet another "limited time offer". In the grand scheme of things I guess everything is a limited time affair, eh?

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Last edited by bluesbassdad; 02-17-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Yes, another marketing scheme, it seems. Their marketing frustrates me--it makes the product seem illegitimate. Had it not been for some of our members and nosing around in the LMG community forum, I still would not have bought it. From what I've seen, though, you can't go wrong for $100, and if it is as good as our AGF members and the LMG community forum says it is, then all the better. Pro or con or mixed, I'll be reporting back sometime down the road, but I really hope it's good. I've been looking for a solid step-by-step video/book approach.

Bill
Old 02-18-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dink View Post
Bill good luck!
Thanks, dink. You are aware that this is all your "fault," don't you? Had you not started this thread, I would not be awaiting my course package tomorrow.

Bill
Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 AM

Short time reader, first time poster here.

You guys sold me. Pulled the trigger on a previously viewed set yesterday. Now just going to have to put it to use.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:15 AM

Welcome to AGF, Schemy. I hope the course works for you. I went from skeptic to a believer, but I emphasize that someone who is intermediate or above will not get nearly as much out of the course as someone in the beginning stages.

I would encourage an intermediate player to get LMG only if he learned a lot of "how" to play but now wants to understand better the "why" of playing. For instance, you don't have to know how to read music to be a really good guitarist, but it is something I want to know and be able to do. And there may be courses better suited for an intermediate guitarist who wants to get into the why of things pertaining to guitar music, but at my stage, this one is working for me.

No one will "master" the guitar with this course, but they will get the foundational knowledge and skills to be on their way.

Let us know what you think, and do join the LMG community forum.

Bill
Old 03-11-2010, 04:40 PM

I would categorize myself as a started beginner. And I definitely need to better understand the "how and why".
Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 PM

I ordered the L & M guitar course after reading the opinions found here and elsewhere. All things considered it seemed like just what I needed to get off the ground and learn how to play. See you on the L & M forum Good Luck.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTuner View Post
I ordered the L & M guitar course after reading the opinions found here and elsewhere. All things considered it seemed like just what I needed to get off the ground and learn how to play. See you on the L & M forum Good Luck.
Look forward to it ST. Be sure to introduce yourself over there, and remember that patience, persistence, and diligence are key. The course is no quick trip, but it surely helps direct the journey.

Bill
Old 03-18-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Bill
Hi Bill. Is this the 10 DVD or 20 DVD previously viewed course that they have for sale for $99?

I've been kind of leaning this direction also but didn't want to spend a ton of money on something I wasn't sure of.

Thanks,

Dale
Old 03-18-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchguy View Post
Hi Bill. Is this the 10 DVD or 20 DVD previously viewed course that they have for sale for $99?

I've been kind of leaning this direction also but didn't want to spend a ton of money on something I wasn't sure of.

Thanks,

Dale
Hi Dale. I had the same question and emailed Legacy. They responded that all previously-viewed guitar courses are the expanded edition. Mine is the 20-DVD set, and I know of at least one other AGF member who ordered the previously-viewed course and it was the expanded, too.

And welcome to AGF, or at least welcome with your first post.

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write