The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-30-2020, 05:00 PM

Default Bose S1 Pro VS Bose L1 Compact

Besides the advantages of battery power and light weight is anyone using the S1 over the compact because they feel the vocal or guitar sound is better? I know the L1 Compact projects further and the S1 has reverb. I have a stand for the S1.
I know the compact can play louder but I'm talking only about sound quality. Does one benefit from a mixer more than the other? Does the deeper bass of the L1 Compact benefit vocals or guitar?

Last edited by wweiss; 03-30-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I have both. I use both. I consider the S1 to be about "half of an L1c." You can put the S1 on a stand, but I feel the bass is more effective lower. Also, the form factor of the S1 changes when you need a stand - the L1c is pretty close in footprint, but it gives you the highs up, the bass down, and not the wide stance of a typical tripod type stand.

As far as volume difference, I haven't had to have either at full volume, so pretty much a non-issue for me.

What the S1 has over the L1c: reverb and more EQ per channel. If you are using a mixer or a pedal that has reverb and EQ (like a Play Acoustic), it eliminates the difference... you are back to "about half" again. The L1c seems to have better spread and reach.

For me, they both have their place. The S1 is super handy and I do like the battery power. The L1c can be carried in one hand with the extensions in a bag over your shoulder. I have also used the S1 and L1c together - I run a mic and guitar into the S1, then a line out from that to the L1c.

Sorry if that isn't helpful for a buying decision, but the argument can be made for either. Or both.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:52 PM

Thanks Captain Jim, good information. I forgot about the EQ on the S1. Again for a smaller space 50 people or less which sounds better?
Old 03-30-2020, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

I own and use the Bose S1. In fact, I own two. In my opinion they both really need some sort of mixer in front of them with more inputs, EQ, effects and in the case of the S1, some signal boost. I'd summarize the two like this: If you need or desire battery power and the ultimate in lightweight and ease of carrying then the S1 can't be beat.

But if you use AC power anyway and are playing venues where you want great dispersion and a really great tone across the spectrum than I'd go with the Compact. The ability to stand almost next to the Compact and hear pretty much what they are hearing on the other side of the room is just awesome.

We usually run our S1 on a stand, behind and between us and it's really great but if you need to boost the volume then we need to stand it farther away. Both sound great but the Compact sounds better just because you've got that low end down low that disperses so well.

But for grab-and-go ease of use outside with no power, the S1 is really good. But there are others coming on the market that are going to likely challenge that more and more. One thing is for sure - it's a great time to be a solo or duo acoustic player!
Old 03-30-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
But there are others coming on the market that are going to likely challenge that more and more.
What’s coming out? Thanks
Old 03-30-2020, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
What’s coming out? Thanks
Well, the JBL EON One is already out as well as the Fishman Mini Loudbox Charge, both which share some or many similarities to the S1. Then there's the excellent EAE A1-4 MII and EAE A4-8 MK II systems as well, also small, powerful and can run on an internal rechargeable lithium battery. I only expect that to continue to increase. I expect Bose to come out with some sort of update to the S1 (maybe an S2?) with added or improved features much like they put out multiple configurations of their tower system. Just like Fishman updated their popular SA220 to the SA330. You have to grow or die. I expect to see more and more smaller, lighter, more powerful and feature laden amps to hit the market. Innovation is the name of the game. And we, the end users, are the winners!
Old 03-31-2020, 06:09 AM

I have both and use both. Small places to loud places. S1 pro into the L1c sounds good and you get the reverb from the S1.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:15 AM

I don't think a S2 is coming anytime soon. Look how long the L1 Compact has been here without an update-10 years I think!
Plus the S1 Pro has been a big seller for Bose-notice how it is never discounted when Bose runs their twice a year sale.

Last edited by wweiss; 03-31-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:04 AM

I just wanted to refresh this thread now that the Sub1 and Sub2 have a pole mount and special crossover setting for use with the S1 Pro.

I just got the Sub1 and it is just brilliant with the S1! The 40 watt or so of the S1 Pro is ok for small rooms and audiences by itself, but as the mid to high frequency part of a bi-amp/tri-amp setup, it really kicks ***!

It works really well with just one S1 on the pole mounted over the Sub1 on it’s side, or with the second S1 on its own speaker stand for stereo and more coverage! I am absolutely giddy about this!

The full one Sub1, two S1 system is roughly equivalent to two nice 12” or 15” powered speakers mounted on poles…maybe a bit stronger!
Old 07-06-2021, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

I have an S1 Pro and a L1C and I choose based on the gig. The S1 Pro will cover a pretty large room with good clean sound, but if if it's going to be a loud / rowdy room then the L1C will get the call. The main difference in the coverage is that the L1C has much stronger bass and will pack more punch into a loud room. I'm using my S1 Pro for the majority of my gigs though. After trying a speaker stand and different mounting options I prefer sitting it on the stage about 8 feet behind me in the leaned back position. Great coverage from a very light and easy set up system.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-01-2021, 10:18 PM

Default Why two only and never one?

Found this thread while googling for the answer to above question:

I just got a Bose Compact. The manual says it is to be used either with no extensions or with both extensions. i.e., do not use with just one extension.

I seem to recall (I think) early ads showing that using it with just one extension was an option. And I can't imagine why that wouldn't be fine. But, the Bose manual is very clear, use 0 or 2 extensions, do not run with one.

Can you run with one extension? Is there a good reason not to? I don't have a pressing desire or need to run with one, just curious. Did something change, was something learned, or was one extension never an option?

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaul View Post
Found this thread while googling for the answer to above question:

I just got a Bose Compact. The manual says it is to be used either with no extensions or with both extensions. i.e., do not use with just one extension.

I seem to recall (I think) early ads showing that using it with just one extension was an option. And I can't imagine why that wouldn't be fine. But, the Bose manual is very clear, use 0 or 2 extensions, do not run with one.

Can you run with one extension? Is there a good reason not to? I don't have a pressing desire or need to run with one, just curious. Did something change, was something learned, or was one extension never an option?
I have used mine several times with one extension. It really depends on the room you're playing and how high the stage is above your audience. If it's a tall stage in front of a seated audience then using both extensions is going to send most of your sound over the audience's head. I've probably used mine close to 100 times in the last 10 years with one extension and it hasn't died yet. I guess there is always a chance that I'm just lucky, but I really don't feel lucky.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-06-2021, 09:08 PM

Thanks, Mick!

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaul View Post
I think there is...one extension puts the line array speakers at mic and/or pickup height so could make the system far more prone to feedback. Two extensions (or none) put those speakers above (or below) normal mic/pickup height. Of course, as Mick has noted, position on stage matters...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification