The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-25-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
A young cashier stopped Christmas progress yesterday.

She held the bill up to the light and there was no metal strip, and no watermark. If she would have had an alarm button I'm sure she would have set it off.

A bunch of us old timers tried to explain to her that those were relatively new inventions, and older bills had none of that, and there are still MILLIONS of them in circulation. She would have none of it, and called for help sure that she had a counterfeiter. And he was going down...

Of course, nothing happened except the line was delayed and progress stopped until she was educated. Again.

You would think this would be protocol for someone handling money...
That’s funny.

Myself, I can’t count the number of times I e had to wait interminably for some old codger to write a check at the grocery store, holding up the entire line. Takes longer than the entire checkout process.

Then there are the aging boomers who can’t figure out how to insert a chip card. Swipe 4 or 5 times, ignoring the cashier telling them it’s a chip only machine while we all wait. Finally they listen to one of us and we can move on while they grouse about how things used to be simpler...for them, I presume.

Then other classic is the elderly cashiers who can’t seem to figure out which button on the point of purchase machine they need to press so I can speed up the line with Apple Pay. Should take two seconds and I’m out. Can take up to a minute while we all wait patiently for them to figure out what seems to be a core job skill.

I guess we all have to be patient with folks who don’t adapt to change readily.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_L View Post
Also, try using $2 bills, just to confuse people. -)

There are stories (well, Internet stories...) of folks being accused of counterfeiting for using $2 bills, since the bills were so unfamiliar to the cashier. Sounds plausible at least - but don't most stories?

The $2 bill certainly has a beautiful reverse side, a engraving of the painting "Declaration of Independence" by John Trumbull.
Wasn't there a huge scam where $2 bills were being 'washed' and re-printed as $100 bills?
It was uncovered by Jack Reacher I believe.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-25-2019, 10:12 PM

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I really don't believe the real world is as arrogantly divided on this topic as the media and the internet keyboard warriors make it out to be...

But if a person is looking for friction, I guess they'll find it or create it...

Merry Christmas, everyone, and now I'm going to finish up my Christmas day noodling around with some really nice John Pearse Fast Turtle picks I got today...
Old 12-26-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
That’s funny.

Myself, I can’t count the number of times I e had to wait interminably for some old codger to write a check at the grocery store, holding up the entire line. Takes longer than the entire checkout process.

Then there are the aging boomers who can’t figure out how to insert a chip card. Swipe 4 or 5 times, ignoring the cashier telling them it’s a chip only machine while we all wait. Finally they listen to one of us and we can move on while they grouse about how things used to be simpler...for them, I presume.

Then other classic is the elderly cashiers who can’t seem to figure out which button on the point of purchase machine they need to press so I can speed up the line with Apple Pay. Should take two seconds and I’m out. Can take up to a minute while we all wait patiently for them to figure out what seems to be a core job skill.

Lol!

Unfortunately this is probably going to result in a wall of text that may or may not address the irony.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:28 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
That’s funny.

So good. Nice to hear the other side of the continual boomer rants about "kids these days" around here.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
That’s funny.

Exactly... another thing that kind of bugs me is if you're waiting in a long line at check out, and in that 5 to 10 minutes of waiting, they don't get their cash out or their card out. Then they go to pay and spend a minute fumbling through their purse or whatever and then start looking for a card, or start counting their cash. Come on people, get your money or card out while you are waiting.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-26-2019, 01:58 PM

As a 50-something late boomer, all I can say to you geezers is "okay, boomers...."
Old 12-26-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Exactly... another thing that kind of bugs me is if you're waiting in a long line at check out, and in that 5 to 10 minutes of waiting, they don't get their cash out or their card out. Then they go to pay and spend a minute fumbling through their purse or whatever and then start looking for a card, or start counting their cash. Come on people, get your money or card out while you are waiting.
To be honest, none of it actually bugs me, I was just trying to make a point. Just find the endless criticism of young people on this forum really, really...well...not my cup of tea, let's say, and of course it makes no sense since older folks do a ton of equally if not more clueless stuff.

I wish it would stop. My enjoyment and contributions here are certainly waning because of it. Just not the type of conversations I want to have.

I'm interested in what's new, what's good, what's innovative, what's challenging. Grousing about young people is none of those things.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:06 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
To be honest, none of it actually bugs me, I was just trying to make a point. Just find the endless criticism of young people on this forum really, really...well...not my cup of tea, let's say, and of course it makes no sense since older folks do a ton of equally if not more clueless stuff.

I wish it would stop. My enjoyment and contributions here are certainly waning because of it. Just not the type of conversations I want to have.

I'm interested in what's new, what's good, what's innovative, what's challenging. Grousing about young people is none of those things.
This us vs. them stuff is wearing me out too.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:

*slow clap*

Exactly. There are no guarantees that those who are old are wise just as there should be no assumption that all who are young are stupid. Ignorance has nothing to do with age.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic