The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 02:47 AM

Default Wanna hear your opinion/info about Gibson bankruptcy... Will their QC get better?

As you all fine folks know, Gibson filed for bankruptcy, got a new CEO, and back on business with some help. Based on their website, I noticed one thing very obvious: their variations on guitar models got greatly reduced. They are no longer making hideous/revolting denim or pink colored acoustic guitars anymore, but only stable variants. They really seem to be trying to go back to the basics, journeying back to their core identity.

What is also important to mention is what I heard from a GC sales associate. He said Gibson is producing better guitars. Their action height is not as high as it used to be, ready to go out of the box. Return rate is much lower, and most of them sound great, compared to 2018 models. I am honestly unsure whether I should trust this guy since he needs to sell guitars to make a living, but what he said was indeed relieving and hopeful for I love Gibson guitars.

I have some questions for you all:

1) Is this GC guy telling the truth? Do any of you have any real information on what Gibson changed in their production process that allows them to make better 2019 guitars?
2) For those who purchased 2019 models, are you guys satisfied? Do your guitars sound good, great, or phenomenal? Did anyone return their guitars due to suspected poor quality control?

Thanks! Teach me. Please share your thoughts and information with us all.

Last edited by hangil210; 11-15-2018 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Edited content
Old 11-15-2018, 04:40 AM

I am betting that one thing that may effect QC has already happened. Improved employee attitude. It was pretty bad under the previous owner/CEO. That alone, could make for better guitars.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Gibson lost most all of their experienced managers and luthiers. The employees that are left are mostly factory workers. This is true in management and the floor. They will have to rebuild this part of it and it will take time. It won't come back as it was or what it was trying to be. Dropping questionable product focusing on set ups is a first step. But it would be a good first step. Lighter bracing, thinner tops and thinner finish would be a home run.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-15-2018, 05:58 AM

Why do you suggest their QC is an issue ?

It is just what you heard or do you have first hand experience and actual evidence with Gibson acoustic ?

Im asking, even though Ive not bought a Gibson acoustic for some time (have more than enough) I do venture to the shops, take them for a run, and just dont see any significant QC issues.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 11-15-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Gibson lost most all of their experienced managers and luthiers. The employees that are left are mostly factory workers. This is true in management and the floor. They will have to rebuild this part of it and it will take time. It won't come back as it was or what it was trying to be. Dropping questionable product focusing on set ups is a first step. But it would be a good first step. Lighter bracing, thinner tops and thinner finish would be a home run.
Do you have evidence to back this up ? Im not having a go, as I dont follow it closely, but is that really the case ?

I often find the guys on this forum have a million opinions, but when asked for real evidence to back up thier claims and accusations often they are not able to deliver.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 11-15-2018, 06:01 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I would maintain that the positive change must have happened sooner than the moment the new team was announced. I bought a Les Paul that was produced in June (after the bankruptcy) and its quality and fit and finish are superb.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-15-2018, 06:02 AM

Default Wanna hear your opinion/info about Gibson bankruptcy... Will their QC get better?

I hope they’ve turned the corner. I find it hard to believe that a company that large can institute any type of QC improvements quickly or that we would actually see those improvements so soon. Most guitars we are now seeing in showrooms were built months ago under the old regime.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
Why do you suggest their QC is an issue ?

It is just what you heard or do you have first hand experience and actual evidence with Gibson acoustic ?

Im asking, even though Ive not bought a Gibson acoustic for some time (have more than enough) I do venture to the shops, take them for a run, and just dont see any significant QC issues.
Whether or not there is a 'real' QC issue is probably irrelevant. For whatever reason there is a perception among many that QC is not up to scratch.

Who knows whether or not this perception affects sales. If Gibson feel that it is an issue I assume the new team will address it.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:32 AM

My J45 is a 2018 that was actually built in late 2017.
It sounds, looks and plays fantastic.
"That's all I have to say about that."

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-15-2018, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

When you were talking to the GC employee, did you happen to mention you were interested in a Gibson?
Old 11-15-2018, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Cool

Since Henry stepped away, and new management has been put in place, the Bozeman factory has been completely retooled, and all the employees have been switched out for new ones that have been imported in... hence the4 guitars in 2019 are completely different than those of the last decade...

Or not....
Old 11-15-2018, 06:57 AM

Regarding GC employees...

Not to paint with too broad a brush but not all of them are very knowledgeable about the business they are in.
I have seen them with customers and heard all sorts bogus information being dispelled.

I once helped a customer purchase an acoustic guitar. The employee did not at all take into account the customer's stature, what she said as to how she would use the guitar, etc. He apparently was involved in something else and would dissappear for long periods. The customer was a small female, young adult. She performs primarily sitting. The GC employee was pushing a dreadnought. After asking her permission to give her my take, I pointed out a mini jumbo and an OM to try a!ong with the dreadnought. She liked the mini jumbo and was comfortable with it. That is what she purchased. Afterwards, she thanked me, grateful for the advice.

Take anything you hear at GC with a grain of salt.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Since Henry stepped away, and new management has been put in place, the Bozeman factory has been completely retooled, and all the employees have been switched out for new ones that have been imported in... hence the4 guitars in 2019 are completely different than those of the last decade...

Or not....
I wonder where they imported them from?

What happened to the old tools.

Is it still cold in Montana in the winter, or do ya think the new management took care of that as well.

Good times.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-15-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post

Or not....
But are the guitars better? New employees doesn't necessarily equal better built guitars.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
But are the guitars better? New employees doesn't necessarily equal better built guitars.
I was tongue in cheek... sorry for the snark. Same tools in Bozeman. Same employees in Bozeman. The fabulous Don Ruffatto still at Bozeman. Same great folks making great guitars ....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson, gibson acoustic, gibson acoustic guitar