The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-30-2020, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Takamine CTP2 Cooltube issue - HELP!!

I bought a used Takamine TNV460SC acoustic/electric a few weeks ago. I have played it a bunch since receiving it, but all just acoustically. Tonight I decided to plug in to my Fishman Loudbox Artist. Turned on the amp, and nothing...........no sound out of the pickup system. I thought first, well maybe the batteries are dead. So, changed out and put four fresh AA batteries. Plugged in and turned on the amp again. Same result.

Can't even get the tuner lights to come on when I depress the tuner button.

What am I missing? Not a very complex system. I would think at a minimum that the tuner lights would come on.

I looked up the CTP2 manual online and don't see anything readily apparent as to what else I might check. I'm disappointed that the electronics aren't working, and that I might have to go back to the dealer who sold it and let them know the pickup system is ''no-worky"....

Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

Jim
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 03-30-2020, 08:13 PM

The palathetic pickup should be plugged into the red phono plug. If not, nothing will work. There is a "artist" push switch, which should stick out further when deactivated. Activated, the batteries are always on. It should be deactivated unless using a Takamine DI to phantom power the preamp. Also, there is some warmup time for the tube. Maybe 20 seconds or so.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Well, it may have been some corrosion issues on the battery terminals. After taking some components apart, including the end jack, I cleaned the battery terminals and put the components back in and got sound out of the guitar. Tuner also works.

Odd that it worked at the dealer prior to shipping, but stuff happens.

Hoping the preamp holds out and that I dont have to spend another $300 on another preamp.
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 03-31-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhelan56 View Post
Well, it may have been some corrosion issues on the battery terminals. After taking some components apart, including the end jack, I cleaned the battery terminals and put the components back in and got sound out of the guitar. Tuner also works.

Odd that it worked at the dealer prior to shipping, but stuff happens.

Hoping the preamp holds out and that I dont have to spend another $300 on another preamp.
Yay! Glad to hear you got it going. I had battery terminal issues with a guitar awhile back. If you ever have to replace the preamp, I'm told the CT4-DX is really good. My P5DC is brand new, but I may get a CT4-DX just to have a spare and something to tinker with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification