The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-30-2020, 07:57 AM

Good news Chris. Maybe post a sample video when you get a chance.

For me, I think I will get the IRig Pro I/O since I need to go from the XLR output of my TCH Harmony GXT into the XLR in of the Irig. Plus it has a lightning connector to plug into my iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Just a quick note since I received my iRig2 and spent an initial 15 minutes with it. It works for my application.

That means I can feed my EV N/D 457A mic and my Martin GPRS1 with the Sonitone pickup into my Boss VE-8, send a combined mono signal from that to the iRig2 via a 1/4 inch standard guitar jack, plug the iRig2's TRRS jack into my Samsung Galaxy S10e, and send the combined video and audio into FB Live. (I did a test stream selected for "only me.") Obviously this means you can do the same thing with a mixer if it has a 1/4-inch out.

I have some fiddling to do. I couldn't sense much in the way of effects, though I only had a touch of reverb. I did expect more tonal improvement from the VE-8's Acoustic Resonance feature, which I've used before. There is an FX/Thru switch and maybe it was in the wrong position.

What this setup definitely does is let me manipulate relative volume levels between voice and mic (I under-sing and over-play, especially when strumming). I'm reading that my mic is hypercardioid and I can tell you it is *only* picking up my voice and maybe a tiny amount of guitar. During my test I had a window fan whooshing smoothly throughout, no more than six feet behind the mic though almost directly behind it, and it picked up none of that. At all.

Have some more experimenting to do and will report further, but wanted to share the good news. This is a great solution if you want to livestream but live in close quarters, want some control over levels, and can't just plant a mic in front of your PA. Oh and I wore headphones from the VE-8 to monitor the mix.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:43 PM

Another option is to run your vocal and guitar signals from your interface through a DAW. I'm use Reaper which costs $60. In the DAW you have access to thousands of plugins from EQ to Reverb.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:16 PM

I'm wanting to go through my iPhone.....not my laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Another option is to run your vocal and guitar signals from your interface through a DAW. I'm use Reaper which costs $60. In the DAW you have access to thousands of plugins from EQ to Reverb.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:21 PM

Oo, sorry.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Good news Chris. Maybe post a sample video when you get a chance.
I will, as frightening as that will be for AGF members. I've tentatively scheduled a Facebook livestream for my friends this Sunday, but we'll see.

One issue I think I have is correct monitoring of levels. I was running my Sennheiser headphones (entry level stereo audiophile let's say) out of the VE-8 to monitor the mix, and the relative volume of guitar in the Sennheisers seems louder than what I'm hearing on my livestream tests. Just occurred to me now I should monitor that out of the headphone jack on the dang iRig2.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification