The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Thank you for the NAMM info. I was invited to go for the first time. But my knee is out and had to pass. I resonated with many of your findings. I will look into the Guild Maple 55's. Nothing like a crisp, yet lush, maple tone.

Super props for Tom Anderson Guitar Works. Nothing is as easy to play. I have been to their factory many times. Feel confident that they are super responsive to all customers. I have bought 100 electrics and nothing comes close.

Going to enjoy the LL Baggs research coming ahead.
You are so right! Tom's Guitars are fantastic.
And Tom and Taylor were among the first (if not the first) to experiment with UV coatings for guitars. Many Claim big thanks to them, for their introduction of this now standard finish.
Here is a treasure of mine that Tom & and his Number 1 Benny, made as a gift to me way back in the 90's.
And here is a Custom Schector that was made for me Back in the 80's when Tom worked at Schector. I will be selling the Maple one soon...as I never play electrics anymore.
But I will never get rid of his incredible Tele he made for me. Hopefully I will get back into electrics someday once again.
Well if you have been to his factory, then you must be a native Californian as well like myself?
Old 01-19-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
The Acoustasonic Strat is just about the most butt-ugliest guitar I've ever seen:

They bombed when they were made overseas. What makes Fender think that these new ones will do any different, and at a price tag of almost five times as much?
I like it, but I wouldn’t call it beautiful. I own the tele and I feel the same about it. Some guitars are beautiful and in my opinion, it is not! Regardless, I love playing it and I have zero regrets paying two grand for it. It is a well made guitar and plays beautifully. I guess I’m not alone in feeling this way because Fender has struggled to produce enough to keep up with demand. That answers your last question about what Fender is thinking. They’re thinking the Stratocaster will sell as well as the Telecaster.

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-20-2020 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Removed challenge
Old 01-19-2020, 05:29 PM

All Guild arch backed guitars have been laminate guitars since day one. They have a big old press to make them. The heavy hunk O' Guild history is in Oxnard now. Rumor has it that it draws enough electricity that the permits took longer to get approved in California.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 01-19-2020, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Tell me more jim1960. This looks very nice. What will it sell for?
They're going to sell it for $799 but they usually have a discounted introductory price when they first come out with something new. That usually lasts a couple of weeks. I'm guessing it will be $699 at first, based on past history.

What's very cool about this unit is that they've managed to get all the adjustments from the back of the original unit onto the front of this module. The only adjustment that appears to be different is the pad. There are plans to build a 1-rack unit version down the road but this 500 series version will be out first. The 500 also likely to be a fair bit cheaper since it doesn't need its own power supply (my 500 rack happens to have 4 empty slots at the moment ). These units will have custom wound transformers that are true to the original. Also, these units will be slightly different from the original in that they'll all have the Clearmountain mod from the get-go. The original LA3A was a bit noisy and many decades ago someone figured out how to lower the noise without compromising the sound.

LA3As are great on acoustic guitar and aren't too shabby on vox either. If you're not familiar with Audio-Scape gear, google them and see what people are saying. They make really top notch stuff at ridiculously good prices. I own six of their boxes and every one of them makes my ears smile.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-19-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
That answers your last question about what Fender is thinking. They’re thinking the Stratocaster will sell as well as the Telecaster.
I wonder how much of that demand is the result of stocking minimums imposed on dealers by Fender. Such a concept isn't new at all. Gibson has done it, Taylor and, if I recall, Eastman.

Let's see if Fender's still struggling to fill orders on those a year from now...

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-20-2020 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote and response
Old 01-20-2020, 03:53 AM
Charter Member

Here's a video review of the Fender from Paul Davids, i enjoy Pauls videos a lot and he is a fine player/teacher.

I think it will be a fun guitar that has a lot of different sounds, something that would work really well in a venue where you want to do a lot of different types of guitar sound, and you only want to take the one instrument. I think it will be a comfortable instrument to sit and play and just have fun, enjoy. I think younger and new players will take to it quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o486ycVymdc&t=408s

i can't get the video to imbed here, so click the link

enjoy
d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 01-20-2020 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
I think it will be a fun guitar that has a lot of different sounds, something that would work really well in a venue where you want to do a lot of different types of guitar sound, and you only want to take the one instrument.
So, it's pretty much a Taylor T-5...
Old 01-20-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Thank you for the NAMM info. I was invited to go for the first time. But my knee is out and had to pass. I resonated with many of your findings. I will look into the Guild Maple 55's. Nothing like a crisp, yet lush, maple tone.

Super props for Tom Anderson Guitar Works. Nothing is as easy to play. I have been to their factory many times. Feel confident that they are super responsive to all customers. I have bought 100 electrics and nothing comes close.

Going to enjoy the LL Baggs research coming ahead.
My best friend has a killer T Icon in Bullitt Green, but I think both of us think Grosh can make even better necks! And personally, I've yet to hear a better strat pickup than a Fat 60's Grosh.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:37 AM

I think on the Furch side it was cool to see the LTD Little Jane with upgraded woods of Cocobolo and Alpine for a travel guitar.

They also released both an arm bevel and a bevel on the back.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I know that the new Martin SC-13e really caught everyone's attention. And that whether or not you like, it's a real a magnet to write about. But to read around here, you'd think nobody else even bothered to show up.

We had some pre-NAMM chatter about the new Taylor scoop. Did anyone try one? What about the Sheeran guitars? They were last years darlings, did anyone get any info about when they might actually be for sale?

Spark Amp? Another best in show, what do you think? Is it any good for practicing and learning or just another gimmick?

Acoustisonic Strat? Any different than the A Tele?

Anything else? There must be something we need to see?!

Eastman's new additions to their lineup were pretty sweet. There are videos and discussions elsewhere, but here's a recap:

1. PCH - this is their budget line (solid tops, laminate bodies, $300). They added a Rosewood dread, OM, and GA. And they added two Maple GA models.

2. AC - these are their GA models w/ electronics (ala Taylor). They refreshed the upper half of the lineup with custom inlays, sound port holes, and Ebony beveled armrests. Gorgeous!

3. Traditional - dreads, OMs, etc. They introduced their first torrified Sitka top models (dread, OM) with Mahogany bodies. Street price just over a grand.

4. Electric - solid body. They've been killing it with their solid body lineup, and they just added single and double cutaway LP Jr. style guitars.

5. Electric - semi-hollow. Their first original design in this space was the Romeo, and this year, they expanded it with a second model.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

On one of my tenor guitar Facebook groups, they posted that Recording King is debuting a tenor guitar in the Dirty 30's line-up. I know last summer, I had emailed Recording King about possibly adding that to there current offerings, and they told me they had gotten a lot of emails regarding that, and it was something they were exploring. So there is that, which may not mean much to standard 6 string players, but for someone that dabbles on the 4 string tenor, is way cool and a welcomed addition to the scarce commercially available tenor guitar options.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Acoustasonic Strat is just about the most butt-ugliest guitar I've ever seen:

They bombed when they were made overseas. What makes Fender think that these new ones will do any different, and at a price tag of almost five times as much?
Have you heard one played by someone who knows how to play it?

Here's a full pic of the AC Strat;

I'd say that it not only looks great, but probably sounds great also
Old 01-20-2020, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, it's pretty much a Taylor T-5...
I've only recently become aware of these guitars and had no idea the T-5 had been around so long. That being said, my understanding is that the T-5 is purely pickup-driven--with a variety of pickups--while the Acoustasonics extensively use modeling. And as one video out there put it, the T-5 while made by an acoustic-driven company has more electric-tone options, and the Acoustasonics, made by a primarily electric-focused company, has more acoustic options. They certainly sound different.

Different strokes etc. Pretty cool IMO and I hope to play one.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Have you heard one played by someone who knows how to play it?
Why would I have to do that? How does that address the opinion that the guitar is ugly?

Someone mentioned that it could produce both acoustic and electrics guitar sounds. That's super. It's also how the T-5 was marketed when it was introduced...
Old 01-20-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Sounds pretty cool though.

Last edited by acro; 01-20-2020 at 04:54 PM. Reason: disagree with my quote

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion