The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2021, 07:12 PM

Default Martin vs Larrivee

I'm sure there are threads on this but help me out.

Martin 000-18 vs Larrivee OM-40 RW.

Thoughts on tone, value, comfort, etc.

Thanks,
Old 10-17-2021, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Have owned a 000-18 and played several rosewood Larrivee OM's, I think if you've really into Americana/folk then the Larrivee might not match the preconceived tone thats in your head, however if you play them side by side you will probably want the Larrivee. Idk what it is they do with their rosewood builds but they sound much "cleaner" to me than most rosewood OM's. Smoother mids. The mahogany Martin may or may not win based on what your preferred idea of good tone is, though.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 10-17-2021, 07:45 PM

Two nice guitars; one mahogany, other rosewood.

Tone. The Martin will be more bass, vintage sounding. The Larrivee more balanced sounding. Two different sounding guitars that you have to play to find out which one appeals.

Comfort. Same. Neck profiles play an important part here. Again you need to test drive. I like the Martin mod V and can transition to Larrivee.

Value. The Martin will hold its value better than Larrivee though will cost you more initially. IMO Larrivees are still a great buy. I think Larrivees are consistent soundwise compared to Martin which IMO you can get a dud occasionally if you order online.

It's a crap shoot depending on what you like. One being hog and the other rosewood really demands a test drive as they will sound different.

Good luck in your choice.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:09 PM

Default 000-18 and OM-40R

Hello- I have both and play both quite a bit. I love both of them.

Similarities- Same shape, same tuners, nice fretboard inlays, I get around the fretboard well on both- both very playable, both have 1.75" nut width, I think they both have bone nut and saddle. Both fretboards are ebony. Neither came with a pickup (I had a K&K pure mini put into the OM-40R and will eventually do the same with the 000-18.). I don't like getting acoustic-electric. I'd rather have a K&K put in later.

Differences- OM-40R is brighter- sings out more, 000-18 more mellow (I've been told it goes well with my voice) although it does have a shimmer to it (it is much brighter than my 000-15). I would also say that the 18 has more bass than the 40 to my ears.

OM-40R has longer scale length, 000-18 shorter (easier to bend strings)

OM-40R has satin finish all around, 000-18 has gloss all around (the neck is not gloss though)

Larrivee was less expensive, Martin more expensive

OM-40R has maple binding (including fretboard) that will leave your hands smelling like maple, 000-18 is bound in black (I don't know what) with no fretboard binding.

OM-40R has a shallower neck, 000-18 a little thicker but very playable. Just makes finger positioning a little different when going from one to the other.

OM-40R has white bridge pins, 000-18 black bridge pins

The OM-40 also comes in mahogany back and sides if you are after the mahogany sound.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by DBW; 10-17-2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:08 PM

I have a Martin OM35 and a 000 custom 12 fret which is an HD35S/00018 hybrid. It has a 12 fret, short scale slotted headstock and 3 piece mahogany back and sounds great.

I have a Larrivee Parlor, custom LV03 12 string w/mahogany top, back/sides and an LSV03 on order.

I have not played the 40 series Larrivees but I am sure they are nice. I preferred the Martin OM/000 sound which was balanced across bass, mids and trebles.

Either would be a great buy but the Larrivee will be less expensive. Play them if you get a chance.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

In addition to above comments, the 000-18 is 24.9” scale vs the OM-40R being 25.5”. Most players will notice the difference in tension level pretty quickly. Some find the 24.9 more comfortable, eg, when moving from similar shorter scaled electrics, or (as I am) getting older, etc. The longer scale and rosewood of the OM-40R might be expected to produce more prominent bass tones.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:29 AM

Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference - ideally you should play the two side by side. In my case I chose my Larrivèe OM over a 000-18 on tone & feel and haven’t regretted it. I’ve owned several Martins and in my experience Larrivèe makes a better guitar.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 10-18-2021, 07:35 AM

I believe Martin has gone to a very narrow 2 5/32" saddle spacing on the 000-18. The Larrivee, at 2 1/4", would be more comfortable for fingerstyle for most folks.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 10-18-2021, 09:52 AM

I think all the differences have been pointed out, but I was thinking that's an interesting 2 guitars to be deciding between, you'd think you'd be torn between the 000-18 and the OM-40, not the rosewood one. Or the 000-38 and the OM-40R.
I am a bigger fan or Larrivee than Martin, but I LOVE short scales, something Larrivee rarely does. It's that a big deal to you? Right now, with my preferences I'd go Martin for that short scale, or better yet, order the OM-40R from Larrivee with a customization of a short scale which will coat you a couple hundred more, which is still cheaper than the Martin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion